News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Winterset April 28-29, 2012... Covered Bridges for a reason

Started by Yankeedutch, May 03, 2012, 05:45:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yankeedutch

We had a great weekend at Winterset.  This despite the rain.  Fortunately TwinEagles made sure the lines were out of the low spots.  Bryce and Karl did another great job of local promotion.

15 hardy Iowans came out on Saturday.  It was great to see that the youth and women were not outnumbered by the men.  Despite the cool temps and some gear issues everyone did very well.  By the end of the day I was flat impressed by improvements seen.  Can you imagine a first time Appleseeder with a large loop lever action, dropping rifleman groups.  If she would have made it back on Sunday a 210 or better was entirely possible.  Several of the youth showed quiet persistence that make me hopeful for our future.

On Sunday we had some new shooters, while some people could not make it back.  The downpour started right at lunch and never really relented.  It was great to see the remaining shooters just stick it out. Once again, steady improvements were noted.  Somehow those stiff support elbows started finding their way under the rifle.  We once again had several shooters on the verge of 210...but alas no new rifleman scores.
I have been promised some pictures... so please post them.

Dutch
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act."
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

Yankeedutch

Thanks again to Alex our Shoot Boss.
This was quite a new experience for me to be the SBIT.   Lots to learn.
Several IITs took their first PC.  Two of them even had their instructor manuals.
I appreciate that Bryce, Twineagles and IAFinn all took their turn telling a Dangerous Old Man story.  These were well received as we quietly ate our lunches and tried to get dry.
The IITs did a great job of jumping in there and instructing as well as performing their various assignments (LB, RSO, LSO).  I can't recall anyone complaining... except after Bryce decided to sing and dance.

Dutch
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act."
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

Miller

Well done all!
When the weather turns crummy and you have shooters still eagerly coming to the line it reinforces why you took a hat. 

I said it before...
These folks who paid for the privilege of laying in the mud, getting rained on, sleeted on, and half frozen humble me.  And seeing their dedication pushes me to be worthy of them.

Now, I just need to get back over there for a shoot.
I've done cold, wet, and muddy....
And I've done hot and muggy...
Any chance I can get a scorchingly hot and dry shoot?  Or should I take a trip and train with the Arizona or New Mexico cadres?
Fearful but resolute.

Yankeedutch

Hey Miller,

I agree completely.  I am very happy to be on the line instructing when such persistence exists. 

As for hot, Winterset was more like Summerset at my first shoot where the actual temp was over 100F and the heat index about 115F.  For good measure, we got blown out of our tent that night with a tornado nearby.
The next day, not yet recovered from my dehydration, I squeeked out a rifleman's score with no sleep, a heart rate of 120, and a CHEEK MELT!  I sweat so much onto the stock that my NPOA only came after the crook in my neck would not go away and I had a permanent Turkey Neck.
Oh yeah, that was also the time the New York Times Magazine decided to do an unbiased video report on Appleseed.
Winterset is tops.  A beautiful covered bridge Cedar Bridge lives right next to the Madison County Sportsman's club.  Where else do you have to close the gate behind you so the cattle don't get out.  Watch out for the pies on the driveway.
This winter we must do a Winterset Winterseed.  What do you think of a frozen Rifleman Patch over a covered bridge.
Dutch

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Edmund Burke

Miller

Whether on the line or calling it I'll be there!
Fearful but resolute.

Sisu!

Winterset Winterseed for sure!  Count this Finn in for that,  I'll bring my skis!  Dreaming of snow already. :)

Miller

Hey, if you're gonna shoot in the snow IAFinn I think you need to use a Mosin Nagant.
Got to live up to the Simo Häyhä legacy. ;)
Fearful but resolute.

Alex

I am finally getting around to posting these pictures of some very determined Appleseeders.
Intellect is invisible to the man who has none.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine