News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Need info please. Don't want a Felony.

Started by Cory Mathis, May 18, 2012, 10:43:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cory Mathis

I am confussed after reading the gun laws of Massachusetts...............The family and I are traveling to the east coast and going to do the Battle Road, Washington DC thing.   Wow.............. I live in WY and I had no idea what I was in for when I started researching how I was going to carry.......or even have a gun.  I know I can't have a hand gun.....it takes 2 to 3 months to get a non res permit.........I think I can have a rifle as long as it isn't a big bad AR...........Ammunition????? Can I take any into the state?  I read your information on www.rwva.org.  I just don't want to go to jail.  I called the number for the state that runs all this and they were less then helpful.  Rude............  Not saying all you in MA are that way.  Any info would help please.  I am looking at taking my shotgun and a Rem VTR .223 and Rem VTR .308

Any info would be wonderful.

Thanks,

Casper

Johnnyappleseed

i would contact  the NRA and if naltional is too difficult with phone transfers etc.
try mass rifle and pistol association. Giving them your NRA id # will no doubt get you faster recognition.
The NRA will represent members for free at times , but I would NOT bet that way in every case .

I have heard from NRA reports that Mass.will target cars from Florida, Georgia etc.
Wyoming plates wouls likely be in the same category, as Wyoming is known as a real "cowboy state"

Of course you would never consent to any search , but it's possible for  over zealous anti rights states to have that part covered .

keep us posted on what you find out.
As for me , from what Ive heard , it is a place I would be afraid to go .

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

GEmanuel

Casper, I can't speak for Massachusetts but you mention going to Washington DC as well. This will require you to travel through, MA, CT, NY, NJ, DE, MD, and VA. Each of these have different laws. NJ is perhaps the most restrictive for travelers. You may go "through" the state on I95 or the Turnpike with your guns in locked cases, preferably in the trunk, and your ammunition in the glove box which must also be locked. Additionally you may not leave I95 or the Turnpike w/o having a valid NJ Firearms ID card ( that can take months to get) (Oh yeah, any hollow points are an automatic felony in NJ as well, including 22s. There are also mag capacity restrictions)
I can't speak to the other states you will be going through.
Good luck, if you can do it in Jersey, you can probably do it anywhere.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." — George Washington

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it." --Mark Twain (1835-1910)

"A constitution is not the act of a government, but of a people constituting a government; and government without a constitution is power without a right. All power exercised over a nation, must have some beginning. It must be either delegated, or assumed. There are not other sources. All delegated power is trust, and all assumed power is usurpation. Time does not alter the nature and quality of either." ~ Thomas Paine

Johnnyappleseed

GE -scary stuff ,
I recall someone on an airplane ,going from atlanta to maine .It was a hunting trip and the plane had engine trouble and made an emergency landing at Logan field(Boston)
The cased hunting rifles were a problem and I believe charges were filed against the georgia hunters for having illegal guns (ALL) GUNS) a law was passed by republican congress and signed by RR to prevent this from happening again.

Basically the new law says if it's legal where you start and legal at your destination. You are safe anywhere you travel . As long as it is a direct path ,no side trips no visting historical sites , no stopping to see relatives in anti rights states .
The law NRA written will come to me --eventually
Thanx for the NJ info
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Cory Mathis

Johnny and GE thanks I will try that.  Isn't it funny..........(sad) that all our freedom came from that part of the great USA.........  I was shocked at all the laws back east.  Maybe a little ignorant as well.  Have never been traveling in a car or RV back East before.  Education and learning can be scary.....  Out here we take this for granted.......and maybe we shouldn't.........  I don't like the Federal Govt telling states what they can or can't do most of the time......but the Second Amendment should cover all states.

Cory

Ratchett

Casper,

I travel a lot and have found this publication helpful and worth the $20.

The Traveler's Guide to the Firearm Laws of the Fifty States

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org  is the site where I purchased my copy. Sure there are others out there, but this is a good source and I keep it in the car.

Happy and safe travels....

In His grip,
ratchett
Remember only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN ARMED FORCES.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom-Unk

"The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained."---Geo Washington, 1789

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.---Isaiah 40:31

A wrathful man stirs up strife,
But he who is slow to anger allays contention.---Prov15:18

"Wisdom is higher than a fool can reach." --P. Wheatley

Johnnyappleseed

Thanx rachett ,thats a good one  O0
I will need a copy myself , so far ive been mostly lucky .

Regarding fed laws governing 2A --I like to think what would happen if a state elminated say #6 ?
or # 8 and started to implement cruel and unusall punishment .

It is my understanding each state is signed on to all the bill of rights ,as a condition of statehood. 

Sort of off topic ,but international law ,has a provision that -"the people have a right to be free from gun violence " some of our elected folks are obviously onboard with this lunitic ag enda

Calvin Coolidge

Cory Mathis

I agree......(Was thinking about it while writing this up actually)  How can they let the state take away their right to defend themselves??  It's mind boggling.  I just talked with the wife and told her we need a safe word so when I get all fired up about the laws back there my head doesn't explode and ruin our 10,000 dollar vacation to see were our freedom started........I am looking into mailing some guns to another state so we can pick them up on our way back from the east coast.  I just hate not being able to protect my family for that long.  It makes AS just that more important to get the word out.  I just love the idea that my wife will be able to defend herself and our two daughters with her 5'1", 97lb body against a man that is twice as big and 4 times stronger :wb:..............Makes me feel all joy joy lucky inside........But I am preaching to the choir.  Any and all ideas I will take.

Thanks,

Casper

Cory Mathis

Got it all figured out??????  I hope.  Looks like I can take long guns as long as they are locked up and unloaded to all the states we are going thru.  There is a Federal Law that covers us on just going thru DC and we are by passing NJ all together.  Sorry NJ. 

Hope to have some pictures posted when we return.......If I return.  LOL

Thanks for all the information about this.......The NRA site is wonderful.

Casper

Kaylee

If you have time, take a swing through Arlington after you're done with Lexington and Concord.

There's a marker for Samuel Whittemore, another near the supply wagon/Mother Buttrick site, and - if you can come by during a weekend afternoon - the Jason Russel house. The battle around - and in- that still-standing house will chill your blood.

Lots of people wonder what they'd do if a tyrant's army landed on their doorstep.
One man had it happen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Russell_House

dwarven1

Casper,

The short answer is Don't bring your guns to MA if you can avoid it. You need a MA FID or License To Carry to have your guns here... and you can't get either of those without showing up in Chelsea, MA IN PERSON to apply for them.

There IS an exemption in MA law allowing you to have your guns IF you are attending a competition - best to have a flyer for the event with you. But for playing tourist? I wouldn't.

Oh... there's also an "assault" weapons ban - if either of your long guns would have been banned under the old Federal AWB - they're a felony here in MA.

Ammunition? Again, a felony to possess if you don't have an FID or LTC. I think that the above mentioned competition "loophole" gives you a pass on that but I'd have to spend a bit of time to look up the appropriate statute before I say yes or no definitely.

This place is a dump when it comes to firearms rights. General Gage is no doubt laughing his ass off about now...  :wb:

M.G.L. 140 s. 131G
QuoteSection 131G. Any person who is not a resident of the commonwealth may carry a pistol or revolver in or through the commonwealth for the purpose of taking part in a pistol or revolver competition or attending any meeting or exhibition of any organized group of firearm collectors or for the purpose of hunting; provided, that such person is a resident of the United States and has a permit or license to carry firearms issued under the laws of any state, district or territory thereof which has licensing requirements which prohibit the issuance of permits or licenses to persons who have been convicted of a felony or who have been convicted of the unlawful use, possession or sale of narcotic or harmful drugs; provided, further, that in the case of a person traveling in or through the commonwealth for the purpose of hunting, he has on his person a hunting or sporting license issued by the commonwealth or by the state of his destination. Police officers and other peace officers of any state, territory or jurisdiction within the United States duly authorized to possess firearms by the laws thereof shall, for the purposes of this section, be deemed to have a permit or license to carry firearms as described in this section.

I'll look for exemptions for long arms... stay tuned.
Unhappy it is ... to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast, and that the once happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by slaves. Sad alternative! But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?

GEORGE WASHINGTON

dwarven1

Hmm. Looks like Chapter 140, section 129C, subsections g & j give you your out for long guns.

http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section129C

QuoteSection 129C. No person, other than a licensed dealer or one who has been issued a license to carry a pistol or revolver or an exempt person as hereinafter described, shall own or possess any firearm, rifle, shotgun or ammunition unless he has been issued a firearm identification card by the licensing authority pursuant to the provisions of section one hundred and twenty-nine B.

No person shall sell, give away, loan or otherwise transfer a rifle or shotgun or ammunition other than (a) by operation of law, or (b) to an exempt person as hereinafter described, or (c) to a licensed dealer, or (d) to a person who displays his firearm identification card, or license to carry a pistol or revolver.

A seller shall, within seven days, report all such transfers to the commissioner of the department of criminal justice information services according to the provisions set forth in section one hundred and twenty-eight A, and in the case of loss, theft or recovery of any firearm, rifle, shotgun or machine gun, a similar report shall be made forthwith to both the commissioner of the department of criminal justice information services and the licensing authority in the city or town where the owner resides. Failure to so report shall be cause for suspension or permanent revocation of such person's firearm identification card or license to carry firearms, or both, and shall be punished by a fine of not less than $200 nor more than $1,000 for a first offense and by a fine of not less than $1,000 nor more than $5,000 for a second offense.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to the following exempted persons and uses:

(g) Possession of rifles and shotguns and ammunition therefor by nonresidents while on a firing or shooting range;

(h) Possession of rifles and shotguns and ammunition therefor by nonresidents traveling in or through the commonwealth, providing that any rifles or shotguns are unloaded and enclosed in a case;

Note that there ARE safe storage laws here in the People's Republic - even in your hotel room, they MUST be locked up unless they're "under your direct control"; IE, when you're sleeping, for example...
Unhappy it is ... to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast, and that the once happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by slaves. Sad alternative! But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?

GEORGE WASHINGTON

CortJestir

One of my favorite bumper stickers on dwarven1's car says: "Massachusetts. Live free or die here."  ;D

Safe travels, Casper. Despite the inane gun control laws in MA (and in CT too), enjoy your time along Battle Road. And your time in the nation's capital.
CT Appleseed Facebook Page

"I hate quotations. Tell me what you know." - Ralph Waldo Emerson :D

aragornelessar86

Yeah, I just assume that I shouldn't bring firearms with me when I travel back east. New England is worse than CA when it comes to guns. Can't wait for reciprocity to pass.
QuoteWish I was rich instead of so damn good looking
QuoteThose who would trade liberty for a little security deserve neither liberty nor security

ITB

Former unarmed NY peasant here (no offense to my fellow NY'er Appleseeders)

Don't bring along any mags larger than 10 rounds.  Several states ban them outright unless they're pre-1993 and you can prove it (NY and MA are the two that immediately come to mind).
"I will either set my country free, or shed my last drop of blood to make her so." -  Dr. Joseph Warren

" ITB glides through the highways of the Midwest like a Velvet Fog, unfettered by mortal speed limits, leaving only the knowledge of American Heritage and Marksmanship (and a faint whiff of ghost pepper sauce) in his wake." - Oz

CF KD requal - Muenster, TX  11/25/23

Unbridled Liberty

Or you could always visit the "other" Lexington...Kentucky that is.  Wear open almost anywhere except a courthouse.  Carry concealed most places too.  Wanna visit the state capitol building?  No problem, carry open or concealed, right into the senate and house chambers.

This very issue is what stops me from visiting back east.  Best wishes and have an enjoyable time.  And remember: 1. I have nothing to say.  2. Am I being detained officer? 3. May I go now officer?  4. I do not permit searches of my vehicle.

UL
For Liberty, each Freeman Strives
As its a Gift of God
And for it willing yield their Lives
And Seal it with their Blood

Thrice happy they who thus resign
Into the peacefull Grave
Much better there, in Death Confin'd
Than a Surviving Slave

This Motto may adorn their Tombs,
(Let tyrants come and view)
"We rather seek these silent Rooms
Than live as Slaves to You"

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

AFTERMATH

I don't even think Gage could read through these laws without gagging....

"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

Cory Mathis

Wow I how love this board.  Thanks for all the infomation.  I guess I just throw all my ammo in the trash can before I get to MA...........I bet they would love that in NY...........LOL..........A gun without ammo??????  Are these people insane??????  Please don't take this to heart all you gun loving AS back on the East Coast............  I sure hope if we ever get invaded by another nation they don't land up in MA...................  They could maybe slow them down with good conversation like Washington did with the Red Coats..........

Casper

PS Thanks everyone......I will keep on reading if you keep on posting.  All info is good to know.

colycat

WE have our work before us.  Lets try to fill the lines and energize the poeple to make a difference.
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

Pitmaster

One point I would like to add. No matter what you choose to do remember to wear your seat belt, license/registration/insurance/plates, up-to-date, drive safely, within the speed limits and use your turn signals.

In spite of the risk, I have driven in and through a few states with egregious firearms laws. I have been stopped carrying concealed in Illinois for speeding. I'm over 50, look presentable, polite, respectful, and move slowly which helps in any interaction with law enforcement I have had. LE has to have a reason to search you or your car without permission. In addition to not giving permission don't give them a reason to top or search you or your car.
Pitmaster

Captain Noah Cook a Revolutionary War Veteran was my great, great, great,...great grandfather. Noah Cook enlisted in the militia on April 21, 1775 at age 18 upon learning of the Battles of Lexington and Concord that morning. His company left on that day for Concord arriving April 24, 1775.*

*History of Northampton, Massachusetts: from its settlement ..., Volume 2, Part 2, Chapter 25, Page 359

"The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home." Antonin Scalia

�The test of a democracy is not whether the people vote, but whether the people rule.� G.K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Member

oladcock

Quote from: Pitmaster on May 18, 2012, 08:01:51 PM
One point I would like to add. No matter what you choose to do remember to wear your seat belt, license/registration/insurance/plates, up-to-date, drive safely, within the speed limits and use your turn signals.

In spite of the risk, I have driven in and through a few states with egregious firearms laws. I have been stopped carrying concealed in Illinois for speeding. I'm over 50, look presentable, polite, respectful, and move slowly which helps in any interaction with law enforcement I have had. LE has to have a reason to search you or your car without permission. In addition to not giving permission don't give them a reason to top or search you or your car.

O0 O0 O0 And take the pro-gun and anti-current POTUS stickers off your car! :)...O.L.
"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato 400BC

President Roswell Gun Club
AQT 246
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
IBC 2018
KD Ft. Bliss Tx. 214  2019
IBC 2021

Roswell, NM
Carlsbad NM
El Paso Tx
Lubbock Tx
New Deal Tx
Levelland Tx
Alamogordo NM
Alburquerque NM
41 Lead Farm Tx

Cory Mathis

Damn how did you know I had all those stickers on my truck... >:D

Casper

dwarven1

I really wish I could give you happier information. I'll bounce this off of a friend (and a 'Seeder) who's more knowledgeable about our laws than I am, but I don't have a lot of hope.

Quote from: Casper on May 18, 2012, 07:39:06 PM
Wow I how love this board.  Thanks for all the infomation.  I guess I just throw all my ammo in the trash can before I get to MA...........I bet they would love that in NY...........LOL..........A gun without ammo??????  Are these people insane??????  Please don't take this to heart all you gun loving AS back on the East Coast............  I sure hope if we ever get invaded by another nation they don't land up in MA...................  They could maybe slow them down with good conversation like Washington did with the Red Coats..........

Casper

PS Thanks everyone......I will keep on reading if you keep on posting.  All info is good to know.

GEORGE WASHINGTON

Edheler

As much as I hate to make this recommendation I would leave all of your firearms at home. You're traveling into the the belly of the beast of gun control and it isn't worth risking your Liberty. If you're driving to Massachusetts don't forget that you are likely to travel across Illinois! If you have a Wyoming CCW it will save you most of the insanity until you leave Pennsylvania, but it might be a good choice to not have any loaded rifle magazines when you cross Ohio since their laws are a bit ambiguous as to their legality, even to those who have reciprocity.

Good luck, and I hope you have a great trip!

Johnnyappleseed

every post on this thread contains wisdom ,in re reading each one it became evident that "filling the  lines is a great suggestion .
This in connection with JOINING groups that reflect what the founders fought for is the easiest way to change what has become modern versions of the intolerable acts.

feel free to re-read the post by pitmaster .
BTW the Illinois state police are not so bad . when asked about a woman being able to protect herself against a rapist ,in the only state w/o any form of CCW . The illinois state police suggested the woman gag herself and vomit . For all the ladies in Illinois ,no permit is required to carry a tongue depressor.
Be nice to see all those state police leave their guns at the station when they go  home . female officers ,feel free to carry the tongue depressor's  :slap:
Calvin Coolidge

Kosciusko

this is one of the more  depressing threads I've encountered on the forum

I am now more grateful than ever to live in "flyover country"

Ninsho

Quote from: aragornelessar86 on May 18, 2012, 05:55:50 PM
Yeah, I just assume that I shouldn't bring firearms with me when I travel back east. New England Massachusetts and Connecticut (and maybe RI) are worse than CA when it comes to guns. Can't wait for reciprocity to pass.

Fixed it for you.  NH and VT both have some of the best gun laws in the country. 

Jesse

I just went to Lexington and Concord and since my states of final destination ended up being RI and NY for the trip, I had to leave everything at home.  It was interesting to visit the Minuteman Museum and see all the exhibits about the 2nd Amendment...right next to the "no handguns allowed" signs.

aragornelessar86

Quote from: Ninsho on June 05, 2012, 11:46:56 AM
Quote from: aragornelessar86 on May 18, 2012, 05:55:50 PM
Yeah, I just assume that I shouldn't bring firearms with me when I travel back east. New England Massachusetts and Connecticut (and maybe RI) are worse than CA when it comes to guns. Can't wait for reciprocity to pass.

Fixed it for you.  NH and VT both have some of the best gun laws in the country.
Problem is I generally don't just visit one state when I'm in that region. Compared to CA it's so easy to travel to other states and visit great stuff.
QuoteWish I was rich instead of so damn good looking
QuoteThose who would trade liberty for a little security deserve neither liberty nor security

dwarven1

Folks, the OP came here for some advice... Anyone who's gotten away with carrying without a non-res permit in MA, I really don't want to see it posted here. It's still illegal... and I don't want this board to be seen as advocating anything illegal.

Quote from: Jesse on June 05, 2012, 07:12:12 PM
I just went to Lexington and Concord and since my states of final destination ended up being RI and NY for the trip, I had to leave everything at home.  It was interesting to visit the Minuteman Museum and see all the exhibits about the 2nd Amendment...right next to the "no handguns allowed" signs.

Call your Senator and Representative and complain. While you can carry a firearm in a National Park, you can't carry them in a BUILDING in a National Park... and you were at Minuteman National Park. You will see that sign in EVERY National Park in the country, my friend.

GEORGE WASHINGTON