News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Can you say HOT? Birmingham AL AAR.

Started by 1shot, June 17, 2007, 07:49:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1shot

Topic: Can you say HOT? Birmingham AL AAR.
Pages: [1]   Go Down    
<< previous next >>
     Mark unread  |  Print    
   Author    Topic: Can you say HOT? Birmingham AL AAR.  (Read 1051 times)
1shot and 0 Guests are viewing this topic.
Believer
RWVA Board
Master Poster

Email Personal Message (Offline)

Can you say HOT? Birmingham AL AAR.
<< on: 27 June 2006, 19:37:34 >>

I have learned that each range is different.  I have also learned that there is something about each range that that the local folk do not think about, but is an ?opportunity? for the RWVA crew to overcome!

In Indiana it was a creek running down the middle of the rifle range.  The very rifle range that we planned to run as a single line.  The creek torpedoed that idea and not only did we have to run the ranges independently, but we had to coordinate the ranges!  Quite a challenge!

Bearing that in mind, I sent an e-mail to the hosts explaining that each range was different and asked what it was about their range that was different.  The response was that it is ?hotter than He#% in June.?

Things were nice and cool when I left KY.  The further south I drove the hotter it got.  I never did actually find out how hot it got on Saturday, I really did not want to know!  I was thankful every time the clouds floated between me and the clouds.  I appreciated every breeze no matter how slight.

The participants had to cover their rifles in between shooting otherwise they would get so hot they could not be handled!

I arrived early Friday to help set up the target lines.  Ron showed up about an hour later and we set about our work.  Cabinboy, Lucky Man and Joe/OH showed up a bit later and the many hands made light work.

Brock?s Gap Training center is a great facility!  With all the improvements they are making it will be a world class facility.

Every Appleseed is a bit different as every range facility is different.  Brock?s Gap had a 600 yard range which was available for our use.  On Saturday it was decided to allow the shooters to zero at distance and shoot the AQT at actual distance.  It was quite a treat and enjoyed by all!

Just think!  Instead of shooting on the equivalent AQT posted at 25 meters, the participants were able to shoot the full size targets at actual distance.  Many were amazed that all the work we had done at 25 meters translated well at actual distance.

On Range One it was a pleasure to work with Tom II, Don and SSG69.  Up on Range Two Cabinboy took the lead.  Range Three was headed up by Lucky Man.

The weekend started off with an orientation at 9:00 AM Saturday.  Fred and I welcomed everyone and covered safety; April 19, 1775, history; why we were here; and encouraged everyone to take what they were about to learn home and teach others.

People think they are simply coming to learn to shoot.  But really we want them to learn to shoot and then take what they learn home and teach it to others!  The goal is to pass on the traditions associated with riflery skills!

The course of fire followed the standard Appleseed POI, focusing on the 6 steps to firing the shot, NPOA, the basics of the standing, sitting and prone positions, and IMC.

10 year old ?Rascal? of the RWVA forum helped with the 6 steps to firing the shot by reciting them forward and backwards!  The participants had to learn them quick!  What else could they do?  How could they allow themselves to be shown up by a 10 year old?  Their egos were at stake!  And learn them they did.  No one missed a step when the review was done.  They acquitted themselves well!

The members from the club were very happy to have us.  They were talking about next years shoot before we had really even gotten started with this years shoot!  I was happy to hear that they wanted to hold it in March instead of June.  (Did I mention it was hot?)

One of the board members, two of the club members and the Range Director are on board!  There is already talk of quarterly AQT shoots at the range with the RWVA crew coming in once a year for a full weekend.  Another Appleseed success story in the making!  We also identified some potential new instructors for the program.

What is Appleseed?  Volunteer Americans teaching other volunteer Americans basic rifle skills and Rev War History.  Not even Apple Pie is as American as that!

Sound interesting?  Sign up for an Appleseed shoot.  Can not find one close by?  Recommend you gas up the car and drive!  Some folk at the Birmingham shoot drove 800 miles!  Bring along a couple of friends and share the gas money.  You will not be sorry!

As for the heat, truth be known, I would do it all over again!
"Let us therefore rely upon the goodness of the Cause, and the aid of the Supreme Being, in whose hands Victory is, to animate and encourage us to great and noble actions - The Eyes of all our countrymen are now upon us..." - George Washington
4LIBERTY
RWVA Instructor
Master Poster

Re: Can you say HOT? Birmingham AL AAR.
<< Reply #1 on: 27 June 2006, 23:45:22 >>

Full distance AQT man I'm jealous  Grin Wink glad to here things went well. I sure missed being there. But hey were trying to fertilize the seeds that were planted here in April and I really think things will take off and we could have 30 shooters or more show up for a monthly shoot and that would be awesome. Cool

We were there in AL in spirit on Sunday as we did mention that the  AL shoot was taking place the same weekend as our mini monthly shoot. Just the thought of others working on becoming rifleman WOW just think eventually we could have 3,4 or more Appleseeds on the same day.

Oh the humanity liberals everywhere will be foaming at the mouth and gnashing their teeth and if were lucky they will bite off their tongue in the process. Just kidding. Grin
?The first maxim of a man who loves liberty, should be never to grant to rulers an atom of power that is not most clearly and indispensably necessary for the safety and well being of society?
Richard Henry Lee..
LUCKY MAN
RWVA Instructor
Enthusiastic Poster

<< Reply #2 on: 28 June 2006, 00:33:35 >>

I couldn't agree more on the temperature issue!! I believe I drank somewhere in the neighborhood of 13 waters / gatorades on the first day with no need for a potty break all day. I personally saw students burned through their clothes due to hot equipment wow! Shocked

I was privilidged to help set up the full distance aqt the second day, and man was the terrain authentic!  I particularly loved the 100 yard standing stage where the students engaged targets over a large tangle of old trees and brush! A position in the field where the only option would have been standing!! Perfect! Cheesy

As usual the students proved to be tougher than nails, and very little was heard in the way of complaints about the EXCESSIVE heat. I met many folks who I would be proud to call friend. Thanks to all who came to this event, These events do more for my spirits than you can imagine.

thanks,
LUCKY MAN
Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.
notso

<< Reply #3 on: 28 June 2006, 01:18:49 >>

As a student from the class I want to extend my deepest thanks for your excellent instruction.

I convinced my dad and younger brother to come for the course, and they both enjoyed it and are now fired up about practicing what we were taught. My dad came in tonight listing off the people he wants to try and teach now that we know the basics.

Thank you all for the effort and time. It was one of the best weekends I think I have ever had.
fred
FRED (nobody is like Fred)
Poster Extraordinaire

Rifleman-instructor

WWW Email Personal Message (Offline)

<< Reply #4 on: 28 June 2006, 04:38:54 >>

When this date was first picked for the B-ham shoot, the sponsors promised a condition would be that it would NOT be hot.

So, Saturday, when I was complaining about the heat, I was told that the sizzling temp I was bathing in was not HOT - that a 'regular' weekend would've been much HOTTER.

That would make it hotter than H! Grin But it shut me up. Yes it could have been hotter, and what a unique treat, to see all the bushes and trees ablaze! Grin Grin Grin

I was fortunate that the range LUCKY MAN and I were on (and Cabinboy's as well) was uncovered and in the sun. Believe we got enough vitamin D to last all winter! And the bare dirt range and wrap-around berms - were they great for reducing the sun's impact and cooling things off, or what?

Agree with LUCKY MAN about the standing on the full-distance AQT. It would have been the perfect spot on April 19, 1775 - protected against a bayonet charge from the redcoats while havin a clear shot at them, standing. No way they would have come over that pile of dead tree trunks/branches... Authentic is right!

And that kid Rascal picked up by the side of the road that Believer brought to the range who could recite the "Six Steps" forward and backwards - believe Believer could have got some big bucks for him. Understand the next project is to teach him "inches, minutes, clicks" in which case his value goes beyond human comprehension.  Grin

Some early pics, courtesy of LUCKY MAN, to show how it was:

The first pic (click on it to make it larger) shows the rifleman's eye-view of the AQTtargets at 100 yards as he prepares to engage them over the top of the brush pile. Because of the size of the pile, it was possible to engage the targets ONLY from the standing position...

The second pic gives an overall view of the 'firing line' at the 100-yard stage, with the targets in the background, the brush pile, and the shooters lined up. In the distance you may be able to make out the AQTs at 400 yards...

* AL100 standing over m1a (2).JPG (53.44 KB, 640x480 - viewed 96 times.)

* AL fred on 100 standing (2).JPG (59.57 KB, 640x480 - viewed 91 times.)
<< Last Edit: 28 June 2006, 05:36:58 by fred >>    Logged
New RWVA bumpersticker: "Ornell Fuggett Lives!
RWVA.org"

New RWVA Instructor shirt: "The beatings will continue until the marksmanship improves!"

TEXAS! #2 on the Appleseed Hit Parade!
fred
Poster Extraordinaire

Rifleman-instructor

Birmingham AL AAR - MORE pics
<< Reply #5 on: 28 June 2006, 05:44:12 >>

The first pic (click on to make larger) shows another overall view of the 100-yd 'firing line', with the range road in the background. The thin line of white way off in the distance is the line of 400-yd AQTs.

The guy on the far right in the pic is firing a scoped Lee-Enfield #4, and has an artificial left leg! (And you think standing is a challenge!)

The second pic shows the firing line Fred was on. Some of the firing lines were grassed and had overhead cover for shade, but not this one!

No sir, this one was open to the breeze and the cheery sun in a bright blue sky in order to maximize cooling effect...

Note the bare dirt berms to reflect the heat away from the shooters and cool things down even more!  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin

* AL100 yard beaverdam (2).JPG (73.49 KB, 640x480 - viewed 87 times.)

* ALfiring on upper range (2).JPG (74.41 KB, 640x480 - viewed 82 times.)
<< Last Edit: 28 June 2006, 05:48:42 by fred >>    Logged
RWVA.org"

New RWVA Instructor shirt: "The beatings will continue until the marksmanship improves!"

fred
Poster Extraordinaire

Rifleman-instructor

ONE More Pic for the Birmingham AL AAR.
<< Reply #6 on: 28 June 2006, 12:10:31 >>

Another "shooter's eye-view" of the 'redcoats' 100-yds away. Note that some of the targets are obscured by greenery, and that this shooter has positioned himself to be able to see his target thru the small trees growing on the other side of the brush pile.

He is doing what riflemen "out in the woods" would do - located a clear line-of-sight to his target thru intervening brush so he can 'snake' his bullet into it...

Again, look in the upper right quarter of the pic to see the thin line of white that represents the AQT targets for the fourth stage, 400-yards away.

* AL 100 over AR-15 sights.jpg (57.5 KB, 640x480 - viewed 75 times.)
RWVA.org"

N3VOW
RWVA Staff
Master Poster

<< Reply #7 on: 28 June 2006, 15:12:06 >>

Looks like you all had a great time.

Wish I were there, but glad I was not, as I've had some recent problems with the heat.

Where did you all obtain the full size regulation like AQT's? Been trying to locate, but so far have only come up with popper faces for 6/3 and 3/2.

Great job all!

N3VOW
3 minutes without air (oxygen)
3 hours without shelter (from extreme exposure)
3 days without water
3 weeks without food
thereisnospoon
Occasional Poster

<< Reply #8 on: 28 June 2006, 15:15:58 >>

Justy wanted to drop by and tell y'all about the Appleseed in Birmingham, Al. June 24-25, 2006.

What a great experience. I "organized" the shoot in B'Ham (I use that term loosely, RWVA guys did ALL the work, THEY DESERVE ALL THE CREDIT!) and it was amazing. They arrived Fiday and set the range, brought everything with them (targets, targets and more targets, etc.) including a Staff of instructors. They went above and beyond the call of duty placing signs and handing out literature, etc.

"FRED" opened the day with a History Lesson from April, 1775 and set the mood for a great weekend. More than one shooter commented about the Lesson and its effect on them.

We had right at 40 shooters and the transformation from Saturday mornings Quick and Dirty to Sunday's Known Distance shoot was unbelievable. Thinking you can hit a target out to 400 yards and KNOWING you can hit a target out to 400 yards is a BIG DIFFERENCE!

You can find other accounts of shooters who were there, but as one of the many people who worked with "FRED" and the Guys from RWVA, I want to say a hearty THANKS! This is a fantastic program, and I for one pledge to help create riflemen in he SouthEast (even in the heat!).

We have already planned next year's event for Earlier in the year (since it was a paultry 99 Cool Saturday by 10:00 a.m.).
Bravo 26
Regular Poster

<< Reply #9 on: 28 June 2006, 16:29:07 >>

My buddy Adam and I had a great time. It felt good to get my Rifleman patch, it felt even better to see some of my fellow shooter get thiers!

My wife has already agreed to attend the next one in Ramsuer, NC.

Let me say this: As a former soldier. with 10 years in the US Army, I thought I knew how to shoot. I was wrong..now I feel condfidant that I have the basics down, and will continue to improve with more practice (Yes, Fred..I FINALLY have the IMC problem licked..I just had to sit down and study it a bit more, and noodle things out..pretty simple once it "clicks")

great to meet other shooters, such as Rick and Jeff, and many others...thanks to Tom and Rusty, and of course Fred..the man himself..got many a flashback to basic training in 1993..i swear Fred..all you needed was the round brown...

All the instructors took painstaking time with us in the 99-100 degree heat, and made sure we got the proper ratio of instruction to student level training..that was nice to see.

the KD range was awesome..what a priveledge to shoot the AQT at actual distance.. and thrilling to see the 25yd course of fire really DOES translate directly to the actual distances involved.

thanks to all involved..

Bravo 26
LUCKY MAN
RWVA Instructor
Enthusiastic Poster

<< Reply #10 on: 28 June 2006, 18:20:25 >>

You are more than welcome, it was my privilege to make your aquaintance. Wink
Dub
Occasional Poster

<< Reply #11 on: 22 August 2006, 08:17:29 >>

Hey guys, Sorry for not being at the B-Ham shoot but, I had State Rifle Team stuff to attend that we end. Just a heads up on the KD range at Steel City. It's seems that they have struck a deal with a Contractor to move the dirt and help finish the range. I talk with a couple of "Team Shooters" who I shoot with and they told me that next summer we would have the 600 yard open for business. Full course AQT! Grin Dub out..... Oh....Our local Club (Huntsville) has just bought another 88 acres to build a new KD range on it North Alabama.
cabinboy

<< Reply #12 on: 22 August 2006, 18:41:02 >>

So, Dub, does that mean we get to have two Appleseeds in AL next year?Huh

Wink
Dub
Occasional Poster

<< Reply #13 on: 22 August 2006, 21:21:24 >>

The Blue and Gray (Huntsville) club range is a way off. A year or two but, the B-ham range is supposed to be on time. I plain to shoot at SC on Sunday for a reduced match. I will talk to some guys and get back with you. We have a 200 yard range in Guntersville Alabama that could be had for a AQT. The way things are going in the world today it looks like we might be pressed for time Wink. Dub out.......
Jehuppem

<< Reply #14 on: 22 August 2006, 21:30:33 >>

You woudn't recognize the place where we shot kd at B'ham. The work is in progress and ongoing.
LUCKY MAN
RWVA Instructor
Enthusiastic Poster

<< Reply #15 on: 22 August 2006, 22:09:33 >>

I would love to see a pic if you get the chance.

thanks