News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Reflections on the beginning of my Appleseed year

Started by Edheler, May 11, 2012, 09:46:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Edheler

After 2708 miles, I am still having a GREAT time and learning more than I can commit to memory every week. I am feeling a bit of withdrawal not having somewhere to go to this week but my family took the bait and booked me for the weekend. :)

I am really glad I went to the Ohio IBC in Gibsonburg. They are very experienced, have a great group of instructors, and had more to teach than I could absorb in 3 days. Heck, when we went out to the 500 yard range I learned something about my own shooting that no one at mentioned at the 4 Appleseeds I had attended as a shooter. It could have something to do with having a dozen red hats observing your position. :)

Doing an AIBC as an IIT0 is an interesting experience. When I showed up on Friday night unexpected by the Michigan folks they pulled a bit of a goof on me and had me stay with Fred for the night. Oh-my-gosh -- It was an interesting experience. (Fred, we're perfectly ok, but you did grill me a bit!) I wouldn't change a thing after the fact. I once again learned more than I could absorb about incredibly different topics than at the IBC!

After doing the IBC and the AIBC, my first shoot was as close to home as Appleseed offers. It was a good start and gave me excellent perspective for the weeks following. One of my goals is to truly internalize everything Appleseed has to offer. Failing my PC1 was perfect perspective for my ambitions! (I missed 2; which were pretty much the same question!)

The next weekend was an interesting challenge because of the weather. Unbridled Liberty, the state coordinator of Kentucky, had 15 boy scouts coming to a shoot and needed instructors! The night before the event I found out none of the boy scouts were coming; but I still was! I had not planned ofr it being cold and damp and had real difficulty adjusting on Saturday. It was probably about 50 degrees with 100% humidity and there was a breeze which cut through clothing like it didn't exist! For a short while I was completely miserable; but I recovered. Everything was much easier in the lower 60's on Sunday. I am really glad to have learned a number of things from Calfret (the shoot boss) who had learned from DonD in Illinois. I would still have a crappy open-legged position without his explanation! I happily passed my PC1 and yet still had more to learn about the basics!

Then came Vienna, Ohio... brrrrr. Saturday dawned at something like 30 degrees with high humidity which made me initially think that the previous week had been a cake-walk. While Saturday had rain, freezing rain, sleet and snow in store I had come prepared with the proper number of layers this time! The shooters were amazing that they were there for the cold and nasty on Saturday yet came back on Sunday! It is amazing how much the shooters enthusiasm is contagious for the instructors! Before starting my journey I would never have guessed!

Finally, Miamisburg Ohio dawned on my schedule. If only I could make it there! There was an accident on I-70 West of Columbus which had all 3 lanes of traffic funneled onto a two lane road. SIGH! It took me over 90 minutes to move 1.5 miles down the road! As it turned out the accident was the least interesting part of my weekend. When I had signed up for the shoot, there were two red-hats who were also shoot bosses; which had turned into 3 shoot bosses and 2 other red hats! Somewhere along the line I had committed to doing the second strike!?!?! Everything turned out better than expected. Later in the day on Sunday I ran out of steam but again everything went ok! I completed two of my history requirements for my PC4 but still need to work on my PC3 -- it's all good!

First lesson: everything goes better with a good instructor corp! I also wish I were doing an Appleseed this weekend! If anyone wants to start the Appleseed challenge, here are my entries: (Miles listed as 2x the shortest distance from home to the range from Google.)

March 10-12 Gibsonburg, OH IBC (436 miles)
March 31-April 1 Lapeer, MI AIBC (716 miles)
April 14-15 Beaver Falls, PA (90 miles)
April 21-22 Knob Creek, KY (786 miles)
April 28-29 Vienna, OH (176 miles)
May 5-6 Miamisburg, OH (504 miles)

I don't feel there is any reason at this point why I won't do more than 12 shoots this year. I also give a heart-felt HUZZAH to everyone who can do more than I can!

Two Wolves

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and you feed him for life. ~ Two Wolves   :)

A moral compass provides a basis for making decisions; an action is good or bad, right or wrong when viewed in the light of the individual's moral bearing. If no moral compass exists for the individual, then decisions and actions are made on the basis of purely subjective thoughts. This leads to "If it makes me happy, or makes me feel good, or if it's something I simply want to do, then it is right and good."

asminuteman

and IF he learns how to brew a good tasting beer he'll have friends for life!
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."~ Thomas Paine

I know of no way to judge the future, then by the past. -Thomas Paine

Edheler

Sorry, it's hopeless, I couldn't brew a beer to save my life! ;)

Quote from: asminuteman on May 11, 2012, 11:16:38 PM
and IF he learns how to brew a good tasting beer he'll have friends for life!

slim

Keep it up with the travel. Working with different folks in different places is crucial to becoming a well-rounded instructor.

And next time you bunk with Fred, ask him when he's going to start reimbursing for oil changes, new tires, etc!