News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Who wants to come with me? (RBC @ Ramseur, NC)

Started by AZRedhawk44, May 02, 2012, 06:58:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZRedhawk44

I'm thinking I'm gonna go out to Ramseur for the RBC on August 26th to September 3rd.

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=26656.0

Anyone from AZ wanna come?  See the mother-range?  Ditch out on the 110+ heat and trade it for some 90-and-muggy heat? 

PaxxAZ

Edit....I'll go, what the hell, not like there is anything else I would rather be doing.

beyond that I guess the rest of the questions still remain. how are NCs gun Laws? NC....I have people who owe me favors in NC...another story but might require a slightly extended stay.

Looking into it, August is a busy month for me, but I have been eyeing that shoot.

What are the expected expenses other than shoot, flight and ammo?

What is room and boarding like?

Is a rental car needed?

How do we ship our ammo?

At this point I can manage the time off, not so sure on the expense side of things as I have 2 wedding weekends in North California I am already going on that month. If one was not the same weekend as the Sacramento AS, I would have spent the week in Sacramento for that, and of taken some of the family. So, I am 60% in the Yes camp.

There are many things talked about that make the people of the US
different; being riflemen is one, asking why is another, as is getting
what needs doing done.

-Me 2011

AZRedhawk44

Ship yer ammo and yer gun on the plane.  In a locked TSA-proof container with Abloy locks that they can't get into without your presence and consent (Illegal for them to have access to your firearms without you present).

Other than air, ammo, and event fees... RWVA owns the range and has some very nice-looking huts to rent out.  Think of it as camping, but in a permanent building that has showers down the way.  Or a hostel.  Bring a light sleeping bag in your pack.

Food.  Gotta eat.

Rental car makes getting food easier.  Or for hiring people to obtain food and cook it for you (i.e. Restaurant) while you rest after a long day of shooting or working the line at an RBC.

I dunno about the gun laws.

But, I plan on taking my M14.  What's the point of visiting Fred's range, if I don't take my M14? :---

As we get closer I'll find out if M14's are okay there.  But, I bet they are... or RWVA wouldn't base out of there.  If evil rifles are bad there, then I'll take my Garand instead.

PaxxAZ

Correct on the TSA not correct on LEO, I have a running debate with a Mesa officer on this one. He works the Gateway airport. I'll find out if he has had clarification, but he has run into the TSA controls the Bag, but can't go in it due to declared firearm. Non-cleared individual can not come to the secure area, where they look at he bags and he has to go back and forth asking for the key or TSA is not clearing your bag. He as the LEO is the only one ever dealing with your firearm.

southwest policy is as follows and goes with your and my thinking that the key never leaves us.

http://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/baggage/special-luggage-pol.html#baggage_special_luggage_pol_tab_list_tab_7

That is the short version, he has had this come up twice while he is on shift, and both ended the same way with the Individual giving him the key.

I was more interested in ammo, seems Southwest has a 11 pound limit, not much ammo, specially in the case of 7.62 ammo. Is shipping it there an option, or having it shipped there.

I'll post things as I find out about them and PM you with some questions.

what needs doing done.

-Me 2011

PaxxAZ

Ok, added one person from AZ, not a Forum member, but a Rifleman...so at least 3 of us  ..:..
what needs doing done.

-Me 2011

hawkeye

No such thing as an evil rifle in NC, or evil mags. Ramseur has several good places to eat and buy food. The huts have A/C and power. Showers are a little rough but work. 
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of crap by the clean end." Texas A&M student

lysander6

Gun control is mind control.

" Of every One-Hundred men, Ten shouldn't even be there,
Eighty are nothing but targets,
Nine are real fighters...
We are lucky to have them...They make the battle,
Ah, but the One, One of them is a Warrior...
and He will bring the others back."

- Heraclitus (circa 500 BC)

My Blog:  http://zerogov.com/

On Appleseed sabbatical since 2012...

PaxxAZ

Hawkeye, whats that green stuff on the ground? ;D

It's been a while since I've seen that much green in one place.
what needs doing done.

-Me 2011

AZRedhawk44

Quote from: PaxxAZ on May 03, 2012, 02:13:25 PM
Hawkeye, whats that green stuff on the ground? ;D

It's been a while since I've seen that much green in one place.

They sure have funny-colored dirt over there...

PaxxAZ

Some info on NC gun laws and transportation info.

Most Airlines (only checked Southwest, United, and Delta) seem to limit to 11 pounds of ammo. A fellow traveler measured 500 223 rounds and it came to 13 pounds. However, my buddy in NC might be joining us, worst case he might be able to pick me up at the airport and so I could ship ammo to him. It is a drive for him, and he is not 100% as far as going or not, he totally can do the AS on the weekend though but that would be late for an ammo delivery.

From our favorite people with blue gloves.
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1666.shtm
NC Gun Laws
http://www.ncdoj.com/getdoc/32344299-a2a7-4ae5-99fd-9018262f64ac/2007-nc-firearms-gun-laws.aspx
Odd ones for us in AZ, we must promptly inform an officer if we have a firearm in our vehicle or in our possession. (Not sure on trunks) but rifles in rifle cases can be considered concealed if not notifying the LEO.
I am not even going to venture in the whole getting a permit to purchase. And it is not applicable to us. For you CCW holders, NC and all nearby states except DC and Maryland.
With that said, you must inform the LEO if you are armed , and probably offer your permit.
I have seen nothing pursuant to limitations on caliber, magazine count, or type.
Knives seem somewhat amusing...no spring loaded ones, no Shurikens.
But Pocket knives are permitted.

Other than that. All in all not bad and not California. Getting out and seeing some green near the end of summer will do our souls some good.
what needs doing done.

-Me 2011