News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Montpelier Va. April 21-21

Started by The Wolfhound, April 25, 2012, 12:48:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wolfhound

Cavalier Rifle and Pistol Club is a great facility and a it is a blessing to have access to it!  29 shooters enjoyed a near perfect day on Saturday.  Major improvement is noted on the on the Redcoat from morning to evening.  Progress is shown by all shooters.  Near 4PM we we set a Redcoat and an AQT.  At 4 we interupted the AQT and shoot the very moving Liberty Volley.
Sunday in cold, windy, and very very wet.  Cardboard backers last about an hour before disolving.  21 shooters persevere and we have 4 new and one repeating Riflemen by the end of the day.  No final Redcoat is used, there is no cardboard left when the range closed at 3PM.  Most of our shooters stayed to hear the 3rd strike and DOM.
Special thanks to Mike Davis for being our range sponsor all weekend!

robonoob

This was my first Appleseed, but certainly not my last.  My wife and I both attended both days and we had a great time.  We learned a few things over that weekend.  First, Cavalier Rifle and Pistol Club is a great facility.  It is in a beautiful rural area that made us both miss our respective country upbringings.  Second, the instruction we received was top notch.  Everyone there seemed to enjoy what they were doing, even if it was stopping after every stage to repair or replace soggy targets or cardboard. 

On a personal level, my wife determined that she should stick with a 1911 or her Sig.  Her vision made precision shooting fairly difficult.  She also wasn't accustomed to laying on the ground for extended periods.  I had not done any position shooting since 2001.  The only time I have fired rifles at all in the last 10 years has been in shoot houses during USPSA matches over the last year.  However, our tax dollars paid for my instruction at Parris Island (and I grew up shooting every day in the middle of nowhere in SC), so I was able to earn a Rifleman patch.  I am quite proud of this accomplishment.  I'm more proud of the two clean Redcoat targets hanging on my wall though  ;D

I'm ordered some targets for my brother and I to practice on this weekend, and I believe he'll be going to the next Appleseed in Toccoa, GA.  Even though she didn't do very well, and was in pain by Sunday afternoon, my wife still insists that she enjoyed it.  We'll probably put the old Leupold back on one of the 10/22s and let her try it that way.  I will be attending at least a few more Appleseed events within driving range this year.  You simply cannot find this level of instruction and the more-or-less constant shooting found on the second day for anywhere near the price.  You get real history knowledge and great instruction for less than my typical ammo costs for a USPSA or Steel Challenge match.  I plan on bringing some coworkers next time, too.

I simply cannot recommend Project Appleseed highly enough.

sgtmace

Fantastic,
Even when the weather kicks our back sides-our students have a good time. Learn and want to spread the good word.
On behalf of all of the volunteers, thank you so much robonoob for the comments.
This keeps us going event after event. We'll be looking for you guys soon.
sgtmace
If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget you were our countrymen.
Sam Adams

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force: Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined." -- Patrick Henry