News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Morgantown, IN June 23/24 2012

Started by techres, June 25, 2012, 06:26:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

techres

WHAT AN AMAZING WEEKEND!

Great people, great weather, great fun!  It just does not get better than that. 

I arrived at the Rice Private Range to a fully prepared shoot and quickly a great group of students arrived and with the help of an awesome blue hat, were ready to get rolling.

We got through the safety briefing and soon were down the hill putting up Redcoats:

We sure had shooters!  Both experienced and new.

Brown and the other instructors did a superb job

By end of day one we had two new riflemen as well as many who were knocking at the door. 

Lots hard work, sweat and smiles:

Saturday Dinner was AMAZING!  Fully belly & full day means:

I will post up videos and pictures from day 2 as soon as they are processed.

But before I wait on those pictures, let me say that this shoot was very special and full of laughter, fun, impressive improvement and kindness.  Watching ATM take a 15 year old from scratch to hits on 200 yard steel was moving.  Spending time helping people with their own hurdles is the best expenditure of the time we have and this shoot was full of that.

Thanks go to our host for the food, range and fun.  Thanks go to Mrs. Rice for taking all the amazing pictures that are in this thread and letting us use them here.  Thanks go to the instructors who took their time to come and help.

But most especially thanks to the students who came out with a willingness to learn and the iron will to carry though the easy and the hard.

You all are the best there is.

Thank You all.

Techres

Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

OEF5

Let me start my first ever post by saying THANK YOU.

Brief history on me. 18 years Army and still in with one tour in Afghanistan

I showed up to my first ever seed with a lot of pressure.  Even made the comment man I need to do the Army proud. I did, just not by score. I took a new rifle that wasn't 100% but worked through. I learned a great deal more information about rifle shooting than I started with.

At the end of the day Techres said if you have anyone else bring them. So no rifle, not knowing I bring my 15 year old daughter. She has never shot before. I have taught her basic weapon safety because of my firearms.

I got to see my daughter be excited about shooting!  I got to see her shoot my AR at 200 yards and ring steel several times. Two things stand out the most for me over scores:

1 her instructor, ATM, pulled her in the middle of the group and told the story of the drummer on the green that got shot at the age of 13.  Then about how her first shots were not even on paper and ringing steel with a .223.  He presented her with a patch that she is super proud of and gave me a big hug in front of all the shooters and RO's and said "I love you dad"

2. On the way home after we talked about the day and laughed and stuff she looked at me and said "Dad you just made my summer"

I want to encourage every person wherever you are from,  if you give time as a volunteer please please keep it up. You do more than teach history or marksmanship. You give memories that are far better than any score that can be achieved on a range.

THANK YOU

DaKruiser

I had an awesome weekend, thanks to the Apple Seed instructors/volunteers.

I learned so much, the sling techniques really helped me, I'm going to get a few of the GI slings soon! :)

The history, I can't tell you how much I apperciated that part of this weekend. It's amazing what they did for us!

Thanks for the great weekend!

Bobcat Steel

Looks like another GREAT event!

Sorry we were unable to join you guys. Lisa and I really wanted to, but we had prior commitments.

techres

Quote from: Bobcat Steel on June 25, 2012, 08:13:07 PM

Sorry we were unable to join you guys. Lisa and I really wanted to, but we had prior commitments.

You might have cringed at our abuse of your steel.  However, it held up to every bit of abuse we had for it!  That dueling tree was awesome.  It was a funny contest to have the 300 blackout suppressed go up against the .22 Cricket suppressed at 200 yards.  I gave it my all, but he won!

Bobcat - the fact that 18 pieces of your steel were on that target line gives you and indication of what we all think of your product and how important it has become to Indiana's teaching corps.  I would love to have you on my line and shake your hand in thanks!
Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

Distinguishedriflemanjoe

Outstanding, every facet of this Appleseed was beyond my expectations.  The instructors, our hosts, and the other students were all incredible.  I did a very scary thing, I brought my wife this weekend. I thought at first I had just wasted whatever marital capital I had accumulated (probably not much ;D).  She had never, ever, showed any interest in  shooting rifles.  It looked pretty bad at first, she couldn't see the front sight at  all on the 10/22(we where in full sun and the target was in full shade, it was pretty tough on her), and it looked to me like she was ready to quit but techres and crew came to the rescue.  He and the other instructors went the extra mile to make her feel comfortable and took her from ONE hit barely on the edge of the first red coat to banging away at steel targets and a watermelon at 200 yards iron sighted with my AR15.  She is hooked and is already trying to get her sisters and parents to attend the next available Appleseed with her. 
    I loved the history and got some top notch instruction also.  I have shot high power competition competitively for years with an AR, I earned my Distinguished Rifleman badge at Camp Perry and have shot on the Indiana state team so I didn't come in expecting to learn a lot.  I was wrong.  With the AR you can have some pretty poor fundamentals and still score well,  the Appleseed crew helped me straighten out things I have put up with for years that didn't seem right but would work with the AR because it has no recoil.  After I shot rifleman day one I brought out the M1 Garand for day 2.  I could not have shot a rifleman score with a Garand without the superb instruction I received day one.  Thank you.
    To our hosts, wow.  Thank you so much for your hospitality, the range, the food(best chicken ever!), the desserts(home made ice cream and much much more!).   Thank you so much.  Not enough can be said about our hosts, they are amazing people.

OneBadV8

Had a Great time over the weekend. I really enjoyed the History and how it's presented as part of the event. I have NEVER shot with a sling, I've always cheated with bipods. I learned a ton.  Thanks to the generous hosts, and a big thanks to the instructors as they loaned out their personal equipment to help those of use with inadequate slings.

I'm looking forward to another one with iron sights. Possibly even a Winterseed!

HamsterStyle

Quote from: Bobcat Steel on June 25, 2012, 08:13:07 PM

Oh, you guys were most definitely represented. :). I don't care how many times I've done it, shooting steel is sooo much fun.

The people working the Appleseed were absolutely great instructors, speakers, and people in general. Never once did I feel inferior or think that anybody else might have felt that way.  They talked, taught, demonstrated, and treated everybody as equals.  And if you had a question or concern, you NEVER got brushed off in order to hurry something along. Every single problem, question or situation I saw or heard was addressed. 

My hat's off to you guys for your time and dedication. You are an amazing group of people and instructors. 
Techres
ATM
Que
Kevin
Brown
And the blue hat - Kevin's wife (for the life of me I cannot remember her name because as soon as she said she will answer to "Hey you" I stopped paying attention. 

There's always one risk when going to Lovemywoods' range. You might be that guy that when asked "What was your favorite part of the weekend?", you answer, without hesitation, "Dinner!!". I might have done that. Hahaha. 

In no particular order, many many thanks go out to the preparers of food. 
Dave - chicken was delicious
Jenn - the potatoes, corn, homemade ice cream and every thing else was awesome. 
Hot Pocket - brownies, both peanut butter and the strawberry cheesecake ones were amazing. 
Rayne - homemade apple, peach, strawberry, and three berry pies were among the best I've ever had.   Also those chocolate covered peanut butter balls were good too. I regret to inform you I did not get my hands on any of the cookies. :(

Overall, I am very happy with my consistency in scores once I got settled in. I am really really excited about the obvious amount of improvement and the amount of stuff I actually learned this weekend. It was a blast. It was very educational. It was humbling. It was strenuous. It was hard work. It was rewarding. It was about as good of a weekend as I could have ever expected. It will most definitely not be my last Appleseed. 

Tommy

SPQR

Joe I appreciate you saying what you have.  I know you can shoot but showing that you can learn is really in the Rifleman's spirit.  I know there are a lot of folks in this state's program that work hard to make sure that we can build the trusting relationships with students that can help everyone grow together (we as teachers and you as shooters).  Your post indicates that, perhaps by some obnoxiously twisting luck or maybe even a little persistence, we might just be making those connections.  Now the question is are you going to come back and bring a whole mess of folks?  O0   
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

ATM

This was a pretty amazing shoot.  :)  The days just flew by and I don't think anyone wanted it to end.

Our wonderful hosts set the bar quite high, ensuring that all were welcomed and treated as family.

The attendees were eager and capable, maintained great attitudes throughout and displayed a sincere camaraderie among the entire group which seemed to be strengthened even further by the added connections of our shared history and heritage.

Every Appleseed is unique, every one a special occasion, but this one seemed about as perfectly tailored a fit as I can remember for everyone involved.

Both days were filled to the brim and overflowing with memorable moments, some fun, some sobering, all awesome.

You all did great! I wouldn't trade this weekend for the world.  O0

Now go tell everyone you know and bring them out to hear the story and share in the experience.

Do it QUICKLY!   

:cool2: 

...and SAFELY!

I hope to see you all on the trail again soon!  ;)
Say no to drugs. $$-0 Say yes to bacon. O0

FireAxes

I see quite a few familiar names and faces on here. Hope you all enjoyed your first (of many to come) Appleseed(s).

Hope to see all of you on the range soon.

I see the world famous peanut butter brownies took top honors of the first picture posted!

philagothon

Wow! What an amazing weekend!  A special thanks to the Rice family for hosting and treating us all like family.

You guys have already hit many of the high points.  I want to send a personal thanks to the shooters.  Many of you came in as very experienced shooters, but every one of you came with an open mind.  I think you've all added another tool to your belt.  More than that though, I believe the American spirit is stronger in every one of you.  I hope to see all of you on the line again soon, this time bring a friend (oh, and more brownies! And pies! And home made ice cream! And chicken! And peanut butter balls! And, and ...)

Thanks everyone for a great shoot!

C-ya soon,
Kevin

Rayne

~
QuoteDo not forget those who fought for your Liberties and Freedoms and take care to guard them against all tyranny.