News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Bald Knob, AR

Started by hornet41, March 29, 2012, 02:28:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hornet41

What a great weekend. What a turnout!! The line was full of eager potential Rifleman!! The pistol bay we were using was full from one side to the other. I think we had something like 25-27 shooters. If I'm not mistaken, everyone showed back up Sunday!!!
There were a bunch of Carpenters show up. No, not the ones with hammers and nails but the Carpenter family. They had 7 shooters on the line and all shot well all weekend. The Parks, Harold and Jr. kept everyone in their area of the line jumping with the report of their M1A and AK!!
Their were two fairly distinct groups of shooters on the line. Those who were still soaking up the POI and those who were foaming at the mouth to get into the AQT grind! After I took the high power shooters to the 200 yard range for some KD work, we retired to an unused pistol bay and began the AQT grind with a few others we picked up. I kept the pace going and everyone was pretty well worn out by late afternoon. Nathan re-qualified with a 217 and Michael shot Rifleman with a 217.
While we were grinding away at AQT's the other group was having a blast shooting crackers and other things.
Out intrepid Shoot Boss, one shot_one hole, AKA Jim, Kept everything moving along based on shooters capabilities. Prone to knit, AKA Kim, was a great help on the line and assisting one shot_one hole. POI's were given and the shooters soaked them up like sponges! We had one tube fed rifle on the line, Marlin 39A, and this was my first time with a tuber! A good lesson on why a tube fed is not optimal for shooting the AQT's. Orange Hats, Kim, John, Nathan, Patrick and Jason(Blue Hat who took an Orange Hat) performed well at all assigned duties!! Thanks for stepping up Jason!!!!
This was my first venture into AR and was quite an experience. Everyone had fun and learned a lot.
hornet41, AKA mo :---

Prone to Knit

Yes, great turnout, great shoot. The Carpenter family was amazing - paid attention to and applied themselves well. Dean was a hoot (he was right on top of everything and would be a great instructor someday). Never been called "Ma'am" so much in my life - I like the way you Arkansas people are raising your kids.

Mo, you're a delight. It was an honor serving also with John, Nathan, Jason and Patrick (range owner). We continue to see that Appleseed people, no matter where they are, are the very best kind of people.

Kim
"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - George Orwell
That's why I knit for our troops.
http://coversandsoles.org

Subhunter

Thanks to all who made this a GREAT introduction to  the RWVA. Hat's off to Mr Jim and Miss Kim for not only making the long haul in fm CO, but for choosing to spend their special day on the road! (Jim, for what it's worth, you've got a keeper!) In spite of re-learning about sunburn, had a great experience.  Miss Kim, fm long experience, it's best to be polite and respectfull near the Ladies(Esp when within range of a RIFLEMAN or 3!).  That's tongue in cheek, we really do try to raise polite, respectful kids. Looking forward to renewing acquantences, and building friendships. Dean sends (Parks)

Prone to Knit

Dean, you're so welcome. Hope you join the team someday.

When we were all saying goodbye and you were shaking everyone's hands and got to the Carpenter family, that was so cute. You gave the same respect to child and adult alike.  When the little boy was shaking your hand and was being told to grip harder, then he wrapped his body and arms around your hand to do so, that was utterly charming.

Two of my cousins came to watch for awhile on Saturday. One has already had a conversation with Jason to get something going at Fort Smith (and her brother is contacting the ex-sheriff there). An uncle in Hardy took a handfull of tri-folds to hand out at the next convention he goes to in April. He attends several a year and will let me know when he needs more materials.

Thanks, Arkansas, for your hospitality!

Kim
"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - George Orwell
That's why I knit for our troops.
http://coversandsoles.org