News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Lapeer, MI March 24-25, 2012

Started by ITB, March 26, 2012, 07:21:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ITB

Another wonderful event in the books.  The Lapeer magic continues as we minted 7 new Riflemen out of a class of 20!

One year ago at our event here, the Saturday morning temperature was 6°.  It was a balmy 53° this past weekend at 8 AM, and the Shoot Boss was razzed for wearing shorts.   #)  Well, at 3 PM, when it was 73°, no one was laughing any more.     ^-^

What a great group of shooters.  We had 11 young shooters with us this weekend.  Huzzah!

Everyone had great attitudes, the lines ran smoothly and safely, and a good time was had by all.  I've posted a few pics, a little hesitant to post all the pics of the youngsters.  Thanks to everyone for coming out and spending a great weekend with us.

Would love to hear from all of the attendees - shooters and instructors alike.  Please post any pics if you got 'em.

Morning briefing under Old Glory

Group shot of shooters and instructors

Sending some lead downrange

George shooting the Brown Bess

One of our youngsters getting a shot off...

New Rifleman Luke:

New Rifleman Rich:
"I will either set my country free, or shed my last drop of blood to make her so." -  Dr. Joseph Warren

" ITB glides through the highways of the Midwest like a Velvet Fog, unfettered by mortal speed limits, leaving only the knowledge of American Heritage and Marksmanship (and a faint whiff of ghost pepper sauce) in his wake." - Oz

CF KD requal - Muenster, TX  11/25/23

fasteddie222

All I can say is THANK YOU !  Intheburbs and your whole crew was great . Everyone work very hard with  Paul ( aka big buck)  and I to make sure we had fun. We have  decided to shot again next month in fenton. Big buck can't stop talking about shooting  brown bess!

Grindstone

Wow, great shoot. Sorry to my crew in the icehouse that I could only be there on Saturday. But I know you were in capable hands on Sunday.

BullBarrel

Appleseed #2 under our belts.   I bettered my first AQT by 10 points and Aaron shot two with a lever action tuber!.   Peter also improved, and is knocking at the door....so close.  Again, what a great organization and great group of instructors.    Aaron is excited about the prospect of a "big boy gun event" and is working hard on me to buy a "big boy gun" too.    If it wasn't for 2 kids in travel soccer and  coaching my daughters softball team, there's a good chance we'd attend a lot more of these events this summer.    For now we are out spreading the word.   I got a younger brother who was going to attend , but a knee injury knocked him out.   I already have him pinging me for the next event we are going to.   Still working on my wife and daughter.   Maybe a pink stock on my Ruger will do it?    Pete's off to school today with a handful of brochures for teachers that asked about the event when he wore his Appleseed shirt to school last week.   SuperHeat, can't yet commit to the hat because of my weekend duties and I still don't quite feel like a shooter as much as I feel lucky, but until I get to the point where I can commit, I will, be spreading the word!  Oh....HammerForge, another energizing talk....I'm now calling you HammerTime for your showmanship.   Madhadder, your line calling was spot on....kept things moving...I liked that...though you did put a bit of pressure on us tubers to get those rounds slid down the tube. 

Jeff (aka bullbarrel)

Little Moose

I just wanted to say Thank You for the Great, Great Weekend! I loved the shooting, and I really loved the history. 

I was very happy to get my Rifleman Patch from Swamp Thing. Remember to look up, little Rifleman hide in high places and are very accurate at snowball throwing.
Strike 3 �; �Snowballs rained down in a furry of revenge � it�s Game On � Swamp Thing!�

Swamp Thing

Hey all,

I wanted to throw this pic up real quick to remind everybody just how well this stuff works.

This is a picture of one of our junior shooter's targets. A fine young man named Joe. It's the first squares target of Saturday morning, right after the first Redcoat.

The shot string on top was aimed at the top left square after we taught prone position and sling use.

The middle shot string was aimed at the center square right after we taught the six steps to firing a shot.

The bottom shot string was aimed at the bottom left square right after we did our no ammo trigger control exercise.

This stuff works!

Huzzah!  O0

Bonus question for the students (no people in funny hats are allowed to answer). Trigger control brought his groups together but what was causing those shots to go diagonally?

I'll post some additional thoughts and comments about this great weekend once the mountain of stuff on my desk clears out.

ST

fasteddie222

npoa is not correct? elbows moving out?

mac66

:pop:
Quote from: BullBarrel on March 27, 2012, 10:24:42 AM
Appleseed #2 under our belts.   I bettered my first AQT by 10 points and Aaron shot two with a lever action tuber!.   Peter also improved, and is knocking at the door....so close.  Again, what a great organization and great group of instructors.    Aaron is excited about the prospect of a "big boy gun event" and is working hard on me to buy a "big boy gun" too.    If it wasn't for 2 kids in travel soccer and  coaching my daughters softball team, there's a good chance we'd attend a lot more of these events this summer.    For now we are out spreading the word.   I got a younger brother who was going to attend , but a knee injury knocked him out.   I already have him pinging me for the next event we are going to.   Still working on my wife and daughter.   Maybe a pink stock on my Ruger will do it?    Pete's off to school today with a handful of brochures for teachers that asked about the event when he wore his Appleseed shirt to school last week.   SuperHeat, can't yet commit to the hat because of my weekend duties and I still don't quite feel like a shooter as much as I feel lucky, but until I get to the point where I can commit, I will, be spreading the word!  Oh....HammerForge, another energizing talk....I'm now calling you HammerTime for your showmanship.   Madhadder, your line calling was spot on....kept things moving...I liked that...though you did put a bit of pressure on us tubers to get those rounds slid down the tube. 

Jeff (aka bullbarrel)

Just so you know, we can also come to school/class or organization and give the history portion of the Appleseed. I have maps, photos, a power point presentation, flags and some other cool show and tell stuff.
Status quo, you know, is Latin for 'the mess we're in'.
Ronald Reagan

Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. Will Rogers

The King has degenerated into a tyrant and forfeits all rights to his subjects' obedience."  Patrick Henry, 1765

Motivation?...The best solution to morale problems is to kill all the unhappy people  Ghenghis Khan

MI-copperhead

Quote from: Swamp Thing on March 27, 2012, 11:09:49 AM
Hey all,

I wanted to throw this pic up real quick to remind everybody just how well this stuff works.

This is a picture of one of our junior shooter's targets. A fine young man named Joe. It's the first squares target of Saturday morning, right after the first Redcoat.

The shot string on top was aimed at the top left square after we taught prone position and sling use.

The middle shot string was aimed at the center square right after we taught the six steps to firing a shot.

The bottom shot string was aimed at the bottom left square right after we did our no ammo trigger control exercise.

This stuff works!

Huzzah!  O0

Bonus question for the students (no people in funny hats are allowed to answer). Trigger control brought his groups together but what was causing those shots to go diagonally?

I'll post some additional thoughts and comments about this great weekend once the mountain of stuff on my desk clears out.

ST

Trigger elbow slip, I believe.

7 Riflemen made this weekend! I'm impressed !  O0
Morgan's Rifleman 250 yard cold bore, 10/29/2022, Tusco Rifle Club, New Philadelphia OH KD/Rifle M1A w optics/Prone
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God ! I know not what course others may choose, but as for me, give me liberty or give me death ! " Patrick Henry
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty, than to those attending too small a degree of it. "
Thomas Jefferson
"Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here." Capt. John Parker
" I have'nt a man who 's afraid to go." Capt Isaac Davis
"I would say that the majority of Americans have no real sense of the value and the uniqueness of being a U.S. citizen.  Once they realize what they have, they are less likely to stand by while some politician attempts to whittle down their rights."  Troy a.k.a. solarguy

BullBarrel

Quote from: mac66 on March 27, 2012, 12:46:24 PM

Just so you know, we can also come to school/class or organization and give the history portion of the Appleseed. I have maps, photos, a power point presentation, flags and some other cool show and tell stuff.

Thanks MAC66, one of the people who asked Peter about his shirt was the principal of the school.   Next time I bump into him,  I'll extend your offer. 

BB

mac66

Quote from: BullBarrel on March 27, 2012, 02:37:34 PM
Quote from: mac66 on March 27, 2012, 12:46:24 PM

Thanks MAC66, one of the people who asked Peter about his shirt was the principal of the school.   Next time I bump into him,  I'll extend your offer. 

BB

The anniversary of April 19th is coming up, on...well...April 19th. Just saying. :))
Status quo, you know, is Latin for 'the mess we're in'.
Ronald Reagan

Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. Will Rogers

The King has degenerated into a tyrant and forfeits all rights to his subjects' obedience."  Patrick Henry, 1765

Motivation?...The best solution to morale problems is to kill all the unhappy people  Ghenghis Khan

Swamp Thing

Yep! Another great one at Lapeer County Sportsmans Club! That place never fails to satisfy. Now if we can only get the board members to do something about that weather. Seriously?! A lapeer shoot that ISN'T a winterseed?! Oh well, you can't win them all.

This was a fantastic group of students and if I had my way, I would have them all come back to do it all again. We had a little bit of everything this weekend, from ex-marines who found out that you can teach an old dog new tricks to a young man who had never shot anything but a BB gun sending a musket ball down range on a Brown Bess that was longer than he was.

Earthmom, don't you worry, your time is coming right around the corner.

Little Moose, thanks for the nice post. I think your words mean a little more than you know. Everytime I ask myself why I practically kill myself for this program all I have to do is reread your post. Thanks, but watch out for snowballs made with SWAMP water!

A big huzzah to all our new riflemen! Keep learning, keep growing. Keep coming back, with friends!

Oh, and last but not least....Joe, you keep that elbow under the rifle buddy, you'll do just fine.

ST

Earthmom

Even though I was extraordinarily frustrated with myself, when that wears off, I'm still filled with awe and inspiration from every single instructor there.  You guys work tirelessly at this stuff and I think everyone leaves knowing that you care.  What a great group of people.  Thank you for all you do.  I will continue to spread the word.

Earthmom

number6

February at Lapeer

March at Lapeer

What will November and December bring???
You still have a choice. You can still salvage your right to be individuals. Your rights to truth and free thought! Reject this false world of Number Two . . . reject it NOW!!
Number 6, The Prisoner, Episode 11 "A Change of Mind"

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them..." � Richard Henry Lee, "Letters from the Federal Farmer to the Republic"

"Rifles don't read" YellowHouseJake

"Lots of work?  Yup.  You wanna grow?  Suck it up, cupcake." - SteelThunder

Superheat

Number6,   
Don't forget about August!  Ladyseed!

The pink is for the girls who don't like "girlie" colors.   :P

SteelThunder

NRA Patron Member, SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor, RSO
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis
"Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures." - Pat Rogers
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil; God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart." - Tecumseh
"Never attribute to treachery, that which can adequately be explained by incompetence" - Bonaparte, Hanlon, et al

Hammer Forged

A DATE to REMEMBER

BY JACOB HUNSANGER O0
Tinnitus?    No, its Liberty calling!

"Those who HAMMER their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson