Author Topic: Needed a Distraction at Work - New Promo Poster  (Read 4003 times)

Offline Foppish Dandy

• RWVA Instructor
  • Rifleman: Piru - 3.24.12 RedHat: Piru - 6.16.12
Needed a Distraction at Work - New Promo Poster
« on: March 09, 2012, 12:07:02 AM »
Hey Everyone,

I needed a bit of a distraction at the office and I couldn't stand to work on my personal site anymore for the day. So... I thought I'd play around and make my own promo poster for Appleseed to hang in my cubicle. Thought you guys would like to give me some feedback on what I should add, remove, update, etc.

I did my best to stay within the standard Appleseed design look-and-feel. I had to improvise with fonts and imagery, but I think it came out pretty slick. I've attached a low-res JPG for a quick preview.

The other file is an 11x17 300dpi PDF that is for printing. It's built to print at actual size (make sure it's not trying to resize it down to fit to page). The PDF is too big to post in this thread, but it can be downloaded here: http://www.samuelayres.com/randomcrap/rwva/AppleseedPoster_FoppishDandy.pdf

It looks pretty slick printed out on the office printer.

Let me know what you think!

Offline Two Wolves

• AppleCore
  • Fredericksburg 04/19/10
Re: Needed a Distraction at Work - New Promo Poster
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 12:32:41 PM »
I absolutely love it !  O0 I hope headquarters Appleseed  will adopt this as their handout. Great job. Thank you ~ Two Wolves
A moral compass provides a basis for making decisions; an action is good or bad, right or wrong when viewed in the light of the individual's moral bearing. If no moral compass exists for the individual, then decisions and actions are made on the basis of purely subjective thoughts. This leads to "If it makes me happy, or makes me feel good, or if it's something I simply want to do, then it is right and good."

Offline spitstickler

• designated Shoot Boss
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 01:53:01 PM »
Lookin' Good.  PM me you email address and I can hook you up with logos, and give you some insight on the fonts we've been using.

Only potential issue I'd bring up as something to make sure is squared away before using something like this in an official capacity is to make sure we have rights to use the imagery. (Model release and photographer release for the folks on the bottom) You'd have to look into the image of the flag and the drawing or painting up top.

BTW... Would you be willing to volunteer some of you creative time for national promo???  :)  We could use your help.  Billboards, fliers, etc. We need more folks with an appreciation of aesthetics as well as the knowledge and tools to make this kinda thing happen.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  -Thomas Edison

Offline TN_Dadx5

• Shoot Boss
  • Focus on the MISSION!
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 02:10:53 PM »
It looks great!  The only critique would be the break in the page between "HERITAGE" and "Continue the" is distracting.  My eye is drawn there.  But I do like it.
"A nation of well informed men who have been taught to know and prize the rights which God has given them cannot be enslaved. It is in the region of ignorance that tyranny begins." Benjamin Franklin
Visit and "Like" the TN Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/#!/Tennesse.Project.Appleseed

Offline Foppish Dandy

• RWVA Instructor
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 03:05:48 PM »
Lookin' Good.  PM me you email address and I can hook you up with logos, and give you some insight on the fonts we've been using.

Only potential issue I'd bring up as something to make sure is squared away before using something like this in an official capacity is to make sure we have rights to use the imagery. (Model release and photographer release for the folks on the bottom) You'd have to look into the image of the flag and the drawing or painting up top.

BTW... Would you be willing to volunteer some of you creative time for national promo???  :)  We could use your help.  Billboards, fliers, etc. We need more folks with an appreciation of aesthetics as well as the knowledge and tools to make this kinda thing happen.

Hey spit... I totally understand about the usage rights. I'm stuck dealing w/ that kind of stuff all day on projects at work. I'm still looking for a good royalty free/open usage image for the Besty Ross flag. I'm sure there's one in the RWVA library that can be used. The painting/engraving of the Battle of Lexington was from the Library of Congress database, but I forgot to check exactly what the usage rights were on it. I'll take another look. The image of the shooters is actually from my first Appleseed... I'll have to double-check the AAR, but the photographer was an IIT so I'd imagine getting the rights for usage wouldn't be a problem. I did my best to eliminate faces from the image, but I know that can still tend to be a gray-area with regards to model releases (as a note, I'm the fifth guy from the bottom  :--- ).

I'd absolutely LOVE to volunteer... I don't often get to flex my "design muscles" at work, so things like this and the work I do for my church are always welcome. I'll send you a PM in just a minute w/ my email addy and a few campaign ideas that I wanted to run by someone.

It looks great!  The only critique would be the break in the page between "HERITAGE" and "Continue the" is distracting.  My eye is drawn there.  But I do like it.

I can minimize the fold, but it was actually a specifically added design element. Was using it do separate out the historical from the modern day while still illustrating that they're "on the same page". However, your comment may be a sign that my metaphor isn't quite reading correctly.

Sam

Offline SavageShootr

• Instructor In Training 4
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 04:12:40 PM »
I didn't find the fold distracting. I thought it was the bottom of the pic at the top.

Great job! Glad you can help out!

SS
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

Offline RifleWoman

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 07:57:09 PM »
Great poster

Next time  you need a distraction I'd like a nice poster with an 8.5 x11 blank spot to put the shoot info on the poster.  So it would have a nice catchy colored poster around it advertising AS but we can put shoot specific info in the blank spot.  That would be Awesome!! 
Many hands make light work and easy bailing.

Offline Foppish Dandy

• RWVA Instructor
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 08:13:15 PM »
Great poster

Next time  you need a distraction I'd like a nice poster with an 8.5 x11 blank spot to put the shoot info on the poster.  So it would have a nice catchy colored poster around it advertising AS but we can put shoot specific info in the blank spot.  That would be Awesome!!

Whenever spit hooks me up w/ assets, I'll be all over it!  O0

Offline Sly223

• designated Shoot Boss
  • Those who stand by and do nothing shall have it!
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 09:28:05 PM »
Your enthusiasm and creativity,are needed on a national level!
You are doing great stuff someone anyone needs to recruit you at least for your efforts.
Issac Davis would be proud!
Good luck shoot for the stars!
My SC ItsanSKS just got promoted to national,if things continue not to move quickly enough, maybe PM him and he can at least direct you to the who,what, where and when.
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
What have you done for this program lately?
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!
"Run all you want, you'll just die tired"!
There is U.S. & there is Dems!

Offline grunt soldier

• Inactive Instructor
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 09:36:32 PM »
that's a dang good looking poster sir.  very well done.
custom kydex solutions.  specializing in sheaths and holsters.  let me know if I can do something for you fellow seeders :)  some pics of our work below

http://s967.photobucket.com/albums/ae158/gruntsoldier2/

"When it comes time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home." - Chief Aupumut (1725), Mohican.

Offline Botbasher

• Instructor In Training 2
  • There are right and wrong ways to address Congress
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2012, 12:39:25 PM »
Did this ever go any further than this thread?

I'm trying to find something to post at my shop that doesn't "brandish" a rifle like the current poster does (she's pretty and it's a nice AR, but... they are conservative in the front office!) but still gets the gist of the program across.

I like this one and wondered if:
  • It's approved for limited distribution (office, shop and maybe some local businesses I patronize)
  • Can it be modified? I'd like to have a section at the bottom to write in my contact info (work) and the dates of upcoming AS events

Great artwork!! Idle hands rock!

Ken
We have met the enemy and he is us. - Pogo the Possum

"The Constitution is a restraining order against the federal government. I'm not going to say a word about the effectiveness of restraining orders against criminals." Standing Wolf

You know why nobody panic buys .30-06? Because a man with a .30-06 doesn't need to panic.

Offline Foppish Dandy

• RWVA Instructor
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2012, 11:54:18 PM »
Unfortunately, this is not an officially approved poster. It started a campaign that I've been working on, but until I'm able to get my crashed HD through data recovery, I'm unable to continue any work on this. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to create a new poster in this style before the crash.

Offline AFTERMATH

• Senior Instructor-RBC/IBC
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2012, 09:07:36 PM »
Looks nice!

Though I might add a firing line with some center fires in it, might be intriguing...

O0
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]