News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR LAPEER, MI February 25/26, 2012 WINTERSEED!

Started by Superheat, February 26, 2012, 10:32:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Superheat

WOW, WOW.  Winter finally came to Michigan.  Good thing because we were itching for a Winterseed.

Oh, Did I mention the Young Marines turned out....  Stay tuned for more about that.

As soon as I'm unburied from the pile of "STUFF" in my garage, I will post more.

BullBarrel

SuperHeat, thanks for a great shoot.   My boys and I had a great time at our 1st AppleSeed.   Thanks to all the Applesee volunteers!   Heartbreaker, I inadvertently came home with I believe one of your 10/22 magazines (yellow bottom).  Send me an email and I can either send your back your's or just have a new one shipped to you.   

Earthmom

I really can't say enough about this group.  You are all so dedicated to what you do for this organization and I'm thoroughly enjoying watching my family move through the ranks, continuously learning and teaching others.  Mac, thanks for all the pointers, hope I didn't let you down too much - I'll get there eventually, it's just going to take me a while.

Magloader

Quote from: Earthmom on February 27, 2012, 10:53:02 AM
I really can't say enough about this group.  You are all so dedicated to what you do for this organization and I'm thoroughly enjoying watching my family move through the ranks, continuously learning and teaching others.  Mac, thanks for all the pointers, hope I didn't let you down too much - I'll get there eventually, it's just going to take me a while.

Earthmom, it may take a while but it is worth it, believe me. It took me 8 events to score, but I did get there. And you will get there soon as well. You already took that first step.
Let your light shine before men that they may see your good deeds, and praise your Father in Heaven.- Mathew 5:16

Jesus answered, " I am the way, truth, and the light. No one comes to the Father except through me." - John 14:6

mac66

Quote from: Earthmom on February 27, 2012, 10:53:02 AM

No let down at all. You have good skills, it is up to us instructors to find out what we need to do to fine tune them into a patch. We'll get there, a Riflewoman is persistent!

Huzzah to everyone who attended this Winterseed. You all have the "Spirit of the Rifleman"
Status quo, you know, is Latin for 'the mess we're in'.
Ronald Reagan

Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. Will Rogers

The King has degenerated into a tyrant and forfeits all rights to his subjects' obedience."  Patrick Henry, 1765

Motivation?...The best solution to morale problems is to kill all the unhappy people  Ghenghis Khan

SteelThunder

A wonderful weekend.  "Brisk" weather, attentive students, compelling history, warm relationships (I'm always amazed that I come away from these shoots with new friends), many significantly improved scores, different colored hats flying all over the place, 2 new/1 returning Riflemen.

My favorite part - seeing fine young men/women (the Young Marines) who were attentive, polite, responsive to instruction and full of "yes, sir", "no sir, "thank you sir".  Posterity!

2nd favorite part - the energy in the room on the 2nd day even after the brutal, tiring 1st day.  Huzzahs and Marine Corps oh-ras.

3rd favorite - Little Moose ambushing SwampThing with snowballs from up in a tree in the parking lot on Sunday morning.

Pictures when I get a chance tonight.
NRA Patron Member, SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor, RSO
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis
"Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures." - Pat Rogers
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil; God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart." - Tecumseh
"Never attribute to treachery, that which can adequately be explained by incompetence" - Bonaparte, Hanlon, et al

Superheat

Pictures!

Swamp Thing First Strike!

Npoa in the bright sun

Caliper calling the line.

Young Marine

Michael Angelo Mac 3rd Strike.

Ice HOUSE!

LITTLE MOOSE AND BROWN BESS

Six Steps

Scott and Ruby

Earthmom and Lil MOOSE

SIX AND SEVEN

Grenadiers

Blaze Rifleman

Sergeant and Bess

Snowmen ready to vaporize.

Rifleman Jeff

Earthmom Applecore!

MadHatter

What a great group of people!  Even with the cold and snow, everyone had fun.  Sadly I was not able to be there Saturday due to other commitments, but had A LOT of fun on Sunday ;D
I thought that the entire day was a blast, but if I had to pick a favorite moment, it would be watching everyone shoot the snowmen **)
Congrats to those that made rifleman, and those that didn't, you'll get there! (Yes, it's possible to get all ten rounds off in stages 2 and 3! ;))

~Maddie
"Glove up!" Wizard
"Those who stand for nothing fall for everything." Alexander Hamilton

SteelThunder

More pics from an IIT

Raising the flag

The Circle of Knowledge

Figuring out Standing

Some quality instruction from the master

Hey look, the color of that hat changed!

Prepping a mag with 1 round

In full recoil

That musket is approximately 1 Little Moose long

mac and his awesome map

The "big line"

Up close and personal instruction

Madhatter with some history

Posterity!  The Young Marines
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil; God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart." - Tecumseh
"Never attribute to treachery, that which can adequately be explained by incompetence" - Bonaparte, Hanlon, et al

Earthmom

Steel Thunder,
Never got the chance to tell you how much we enjoyed your history this weekend but it was the topic of conversation in the car on the way home.  Loved your addition of a little humor.

Earthmom

SteelThunder

Thank you...my wife would say that I add "a little humor...VERY little humor" to things.  :)
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis

SteelThunder

Shooters!  Remember all that great history you heard in the 3 Strikes this weekend?  Here's some pix from Battle Road I took last week.  There are several more at http://tinypic.com/a/2p9xj/2

Parker statue on Lexington Green

Entering the town

Buckman Tavern where the militia met prior to the battle

Standing on the east end of the green looking west (the view of the Regulars)...not very big, is it?

Parker's famous quote

The militia line...this is where they stood between here and the monument in the background

Monument and burial place of the Lexington militia

Harrington house just off the green (where he crrawled and died at this doorstep)

Revere capture site

The Old North Bridge west of Concord

Davis statue at the bridge

British grave at the North Bridge

Monument at Concord

Meriam's Corner - where the match finally lit

British grave at Meriam's Corner

Ridgeline along the road back to Boston -- from these the Ring of Fire was launched

Jason Russell house in Menotomy (now Arlington)

Old Burying Ground in Menotomy for the militia who died there

Menotomy militia tomb
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis

MI-copperhead

Another excellent Appleseed/Winterseed with passionate historical presentations, a well earned "hat" promotion for Superheat, more drinking from the firehose of knowledge applied by a fantastic group of instructors, and great shooting with friends new and old.
I was almost defeated on the third stage of my third AQT of the weekend by a failure to feed magazine that robbed me of the final three rounds on that stage. Having also dropped the first shot on the first 3 stages I figured my chances of an expert score had evaporated  :wb: . But with Miki's advice and  encouragement   O0 I was able to buckle down, relax, and shoot a 98 on the final stage (proving the lesson on the importance of NPOA and the 6 steps on stage 4) to make 210, and earn a snowball "bath" and the coveted Winterseed patch  ^:)^ Further icing on the cake was shooting a 214 on 4 minute AQT  and clearing 3 of the 4 Redcoat shoots. It is finally coming together and the next step is conquering an AQT with my M1A.
Seeing all the young people there is a real encouragement as they are our future. The Young Marines are an impressive group and Blaze shooting a 225 with a bolt action is an inspiration for us all. It was great seeing Jeff shoot his his Rifleman score up in the ice house and I believe we had two others up there knocking on the door as well.
Thanks to all who got off the couch to attend but the greatest thanks go to all our instructors who gave so much of this weekend to improving us. To them I give three cheers ! HUZZA ! HUZZA ! HUZZA !

God willing see you all soon !

Earl
Morgan's Rifleman 250 yard cold bore, 10/29/2022, Tusco Rifle Club, New Philadelphia OH KD/Rifle M1A w optics/Prone
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God ! I know not what course others may choose, but as for me, give me liberty or give me death ! " Patrick Henry
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty, than to those attending too small a degree of it. "
Thomas Jefferson
"Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here." Capt. John Parker
" I have'nt a man who 's afraid to go." Capt Isaac Davis
"I would say that the majority of Americans have no real sense of the value and the uniqueness of being a U.S. citizen.  Once they realize what they have, they are less likely to stand by while some politician attempts to whittle down their rights."  Troy a.k.a. solarguy

BullBarrel

Earl, congrats on your 2 AQT's.   I didn't know you did the 214 after the 210.    My boys and I really had fun.   In fact we signed up for the 3/24-3/25 event.   The boys really want to concur the AQT.   We are ripping their malfunctioning guns apart, to get them more reliable.    Luckily if it exceeds our capacities (shallow as they are), we have my father-in-law whose retired to a gun smithing career.   I married into a hunting family and am truely a cook to rifleman story.   The gun I used was the first rifle I've ever purchased just a couple of weeks before the event.  I had shot before but this event and practicing for it before r!eally fired me up.   Even though I got my patch, I know there is much to learn.   Can't wait.   I am going to attempt the next event using my (2nd rifle ever purchased) Marlin 39a lever action.   I was very impressed by the young marine that rifleman'd with a bolt action.   He inspired me to try with the lever action.  The kindness and willingness of the instructors to loan guns to my boys so they could participate in the event really has touched me.   Good people!   Good Fun!   Maybe someday I will stick my hand out to take the HAT.

MI-copperhead

Jeff, it was great shooting along side you and your sons. You have two fine young men there and I'm sure it wont take long for them to make Rifleman. The best to you and your boys in the pursuit of your goals.  O0
Morgan's Rifleman 250 yard cold bore, 10/29/2022, Tusco Rifle Club, New Philadelphia OH KD/Rifle M1A w optics/Prone
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God ! I know not what course others may choose, but as for me, give me liberty or give me death ! " Patrick Henry
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty, than to those attending too small a degree of it. "
Thomas Jefferson
"Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here." Capt. John Parker
" I have'nt a man who 's afraid to go." Capt Isaac Davis
"I would say that the majority of Americans have no real sense of the value and the uniqueness of being a U.S. citizen.  Once they realize what they have, they are less likely to stand by while some politician attempts to whittle down their rights."  Troy a.k.a. solarguy

Superheat

What a great event.  It was sad that Mosca was sick on Sunday.  Lets hope he makes it to the next one.

Jonathan was shooting great,  I think you need just one more AQT.

Leah, You showed such perseverance, we hope to see you back in March.

Scott, I hope we have that scope mastered.  :slap:

Jeff and Blase congrats on the Rifleman status. Shooting is just the first step.

For the rest of the Appleseeders: Homework assignment!  Practice your positions, transitions and trigger control. (safety first) I expect each of you to score Rifleman this year.  HUZZAH!

SUPERHEAT

number6

I know that the "Ice House" had at least four more riflemen, if we would have had a little more time we could have gone 6 for 6.  But time is the one thing we never seem to have enough of.  Well I guess that is why there are more Appleseeds.

number6
You still have a choice. You can still salvage your right to be individuals. Your rights to truth and free thought! Reject this false world of Number Two . . . reject it NOW!!
Number 6, The Prisoner, Episode 11 "A Change of Mind"

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them..." � Richard Henry Lee, "Letters from the Federal Farmer to the Republic"

"Rifles don't read" YellowHouseJake

"Lots of work?  Yup.  You wanna grow?  Suck it up, cupcake." - SteelThunder

BullBarrel

#6 you are Correct.   Eric and Evan had to leave early.   Eric got home and totaled up one of the last AQT's he shot and scored a 217.   Evan had 2 208's (at least).   Peter went from shooting sub 100's to a 167 to finish the day.   Aaron shot just under 200 when he switched to my gun (first time he ever shot that gun).   Aaron has always outshot me when we practiced at home, so I'll relish the boasting around the dinner table at least until the next event (March here we come).  8)

Superheat

Quote from: BullBarrel on February 29, 2012, 09:06:46 AM
   Eric got home and totaled up one of the last AQT's he shot and scored a 217.   

Eric, If you bring that target back to me I will honor it and give you your patch.  Team Icehouse was working hard all weekend.  I hate to think that you were short changed.  Heck if you are local I will meet you.  P.M. me.  Although it would be more fun to just come back and do it again.  :)

BullBarrel

Superheat, I emailed Eric your offer.   We are trying to talk Eric and Evan to coming back with us in March.   Evan may have conflicts with College admin stuff.   If they can't come, I'll collect his AQT and bring it with me, though I think it should be a double or nothing offer (just doing my part for filling the spots :) ).   Jonathan's Mom actually is applying some pressure to my wife to come (Jonathan and Peter are soccer teammates).   I'm trying to convince them to go to womens shoot.    My daughter is 10.   Is she old enough?   I couldn't find an minimum age on the site?   Course I think they both enjoyed having the house to themselves on the weekend.

Superheat

Sounds great Bull, You are correct there is no minimum age.  If someone can safely handle a rifle they NEED to come to an Appleseed.  Safely being the operative word.  Little Moose was on the big line all weekend and did just fine off of sand bags.  I believe he is 8 years old.  You might want to have your girls come sooner than August.  Check the schedule.  Fenton is not too far.  The April 22 event is our big one.  We do some special stuff to commemorate the anniversary.

Miki

Sorry it took me so long to 'chime in'. What a weekend! When that alarm blasts at 4:30ish AM I want to throw it across the room...but then I remember, I'm going to spend the weekend doing what I love with the best folks I know or am soon to meet and I blast out of bed and get moving.

Seeing you all make so much improvement makes getting up before dawn cracks all worth while!

Earl, sincere congrats, friend! You learned a rifleman persists no matter what fate throws in the way. Way to go!

Eric, if I could reach through this monitor I'd grab that target and score it myself! Ouch. Remember a rifleman persists.

Bull Barrel, considering a goofy colored hat. YAY! Love to have you as part of the Michigan cadre.

It was my honor to work with you all this past weekend and I hope to see you again soon.

Miki

Earthmom

Bull Barrel,

It is a small world.  Your wife must be the one who chimed in on facebook when I was trying to get Mary Bright to attend the next Appleseed.  I think your wife is the one putting pressure on Mary:)  I hope to see them both at an event soon.

BullBarrel

It is a small world.   We were standing at the flag raising, when Jonathan stepped up and I whispered to Peter, hey that looks like Jonathan from soccer.   You keep working Mary and I'll work Lisa and Jane.