News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

National Wild Turkey Federation JAKES day

Started by henschman, February 28, 2012, 09:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

henschman

Project Appleseed has been invited to participate in the 2012 JAKES day shooting and educational event being held in Grove, OK on May 19 by the National Wild Turkey Federation.  This is a large annual event that attracts a crowd of around 2,000.  The purpose of the event is right up Appleseed's alley:  promoting the shooting sports to kids. 

The event consists of a variety of "stations" that the kids go through, in groups of 12-15.  I am still working the details out with my contact at the NWTF, but the current plan is that Appleseed will have 2 "stations:" one for teaching history, and one for teaching marksmanship, to include live fire at 25m.  We will get to give each group of kids a 20 minute history lesson, and a 40 minute marksmanship lesson with live fire.  NWTF rules require one instructor per student on the firing line, and require shooters to fire with single shot only, with instructors loading the rifle for them.  Obviously we will have to give a very brief rundown of the fundamentals, if we are going to have time for each student in the group to fire in this manner.

This is a wonderful opportunity for Appleseed, in which we will be able to promote the program to hundreds of kids, as well as their parents.  We will be able to distribute brochures and flyers at our stations.  This event is very close to our host range at Afton, so it could be a great way to increase our numbers there by getting more of the locals to show up. 

All Oklahoma (and neighboring) instructors, please try to make it to this event if possible.  We will need plenty of hands on deck if we are going to teach history, run a firing line, and distribute materials all at the same time.  It should be a blast! 

henschman
"Of liberty I would say that, in the whole plenitude of its extent, it is unobstructed action according to our will. But rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual."
-- Thomas Jefferson to Isaac H. Tiffany, 1819

Scarecrow

Too good a promotional opportunity to pass up.
My two Crickets are ready for this.
20 at a time might be a trick to pull off.

henschman

Yes, the current idea is to have each of the groups shoot in relays, with 5 or so shooting at a time (depending on how many instructors we have on the line)... maybe have them shoot through a redcoat with 1 round on each target or something.  That way they get some idea of their effective range, and have something cool to take home with them.  Maybe have 3 relays and give them 5 minutes to get their rounds off, for a total of 15 minutes of shooting time... that way we have the other 25 minutes to run through some quick fundamentals. 

Any input or additional ideas would be appreciated.
"Of liberty I would say that, in the whole plenitude of its extent, it is unobstructed action according to our will. But rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual."
-- Thomas Jefferson to Isaac H. Tiffany, 1819