News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Who wants to shoot?

Started by Mark Davis, November 27, 2011, 02:47:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Davis

I made it to the range today, even thought of Cooper while testing some bolt gun loads. That reclaimed 50 BMG powder smells sweet!
First go at the 50 yard red coats produced a miss at 200 and a miss at the shingle at 250. One at the 300 and two at the 400 were very lucky , just barely touching the line.
Then I posted a set of squares and a red coat, after a few sighters and sight adjustments, I fired a clean 50 yard redcoat.
Then the time came for 25 y standing redcoat, got a miss on the 300 another on the 400 plus zilch on the shingle.

Necee

Hey Mark!  Tyson was loading up to head to the range for a little bit and I think I convinced him to add in and see how he does on this :)  Took a bit to find the last redcoat or two and "had" to load up another rifle and ammo....  Maybe he'll let you know how he does ;)

boscohurn

Well....that was interesting.  New Ruger 10/22.  Maybe 200 rounds thru it so far.  Sanded out the barrel band which changed the POI quite a bit.  Stock sights, which means the rear sight is halfway down the barrel (should that be 2  l's?  I'm still cold).  Don't get me wrong, I love Ruger, have several.  That particular sight tho.....

Red coat.  Clear 100 thru 300 yd.   Then it went to hell.
AQT  164  Passable on 100 thru 300.  Then it went to hell.
Rear sight location, my eyes, tiny targets.  Was just tough to lock on the front sight.  I honestly did better than I thought I would tho.  Some slight rear sight adjustment still needed but it was cold, damp and I did not take my time.  Despite how this reads I am happy with this thing.

Cooper, I actually thought of you.  Even considered "channeling" you, get you some trigger time.   But then I remembered you are still alive and I got to wondering if that would be a good idea.  Or even possible.  If it did work it would probably be pretty disorienting for you  so I backed off.  But I did remember  ::)

Cooper

A big thank you to both of you for giving me some "trigger time!"

Keep on shooting!

Cooper and Jackie the Rifledog
"This Appleseed thing doesn't look like it would be for everyone, but it really is." Zac, age 7  كافر
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine    "Cooper, you're an a**hole!" - recent Shoot Boss's compliment
"I don't know where "brave" leaves off and "foolish" picks up, but you've certainly got your share of courage." - FuzzyMath
"For the Rifle!, the Rifle!, in our hands will prove no trifle!" ~from the lyrics of "The Bennington Riflemen"
Understand the urgency of our mission; no amount of bailing can raise a sunken ship.
I don't want to be forced back into the darkness.

"Shut up and color." - slim

COJeepGirl

The thermometer said +25 but the nice little breeze was numbing bare flesh.

25 F???

HARD CORE.
"In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot"-Mark Twain

sparks1

Quote from: COJeepGirl on January 25, 2012, 02:45:25 PM

25 F???

HARD CORE.

Around here that's balmy! :0
Integrity is easier to keep, than to regain.

The Truth is that teamwork is at the heart of great accomplishment. 
(John Maxwell)

Cooper

Quote from: COJeepGirl on January 25, 2012, 02:45:25 PM
25 F???
HARD CORE.

**) **) **) **) **) **) **) **) **) **)

Amazing how everything is relative... We shot up into double digit temps today, and I started peeling off layers!
What matters is to push your personal limits, and expand them to ever increasing self-confidence.

To an Alaskan or Canadian, Minnesotans are whimps! (Although our winters are typical for Siberia).

Coop
"This Appleseed thing doesn't look like it would be for everyone, but it really is." Zac, age 7  كافر
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine    "Cooper, you're an a**hole!" - recent Shoot Boss's compliment
"I don't know where "brave" leaves off and "foolish" picks up, but you've certainly got your share of courage." - FuzzyMath
"For the Rifle!, the Rifle!, in our hands will prove no trifle!" ~from the lyrics of "The Bennington Riflemen"
Understand the urgency of our mission; no amount of bailing can raise a sunken ship.
I don't want to be forced back into the darkness.

"Shut up and color." - slim

boscohurn

Well, it certainly has been a week.  2 trips with Garand to trouble shoot inconsistancy.  Think I found the problem (wandering front hand guard and loose stock ferrule)  , think I have the answers, just have to execute.  Did fix the stock ferrule before second day, still some op rod contact ( few more swipes of the file needed but almost there)  but got down to 3 x 2 group (at 100 yds) before tweeking the hand guard and confiming that problem.

So today was relaxing with new Ruger 10/22.  You know.....if you read the manual you can find some interesting things.   ::)   Such as, you can turn the li'l plate in the rear sight upside down and get the square sight thing instead of the notch.  Helped my focus on the front sight.  Still getting used to iron sights but improving.   First 60 rounds of Federal Wally bulk.  Switched to CCI Mini-mags.  Much better....in THIS rifle.  That will be handy since my 597 likes Mini's too.  I switched to the 597 just before leaving so's I could soothe my battered ego.  I do love that rifle .

Hah, forgot one amusing but probably not good thing.  The Ruger's trigger is stiffer, I seem to have taken to starting the trigger squeeze as I get to the target.  This new habit caused the first shot with the 597 to go off about 2 inches early  **)

Mark Davis

I got a little shooting done, redcoat, sheet of squares, 1 AQT.
Check after action reports for 'Montana Macro seed'.

jstnstein

Gonna go the shoot in three forks in april! taken the misses and as many  friends as I can!
Courage is rightlyesteemed the irst of human qualities. Because it is the quality that guarentees all the others-Churchhill
Fear can keep a man out of danger but only courage can support him in it.

George Hacker

Quote from: jstnstein on February 24, 2012, 01:26:29 AM
Gonna go the shoot in three forks in april! taken the misses and as many  friends as I can!
Most excellent!  Thanks for bringing friends with you. O0

If you have any friends or acquaintances who home school, Project Appleseed will have a booth at the 2012 Montana State Homeschool Convention in Helena, March 9th - 10th.  Mark Davis will be there Saturday and possibly Friday as well.  Tell your friends that may go to the convention to drop by the Project Appleseed booth and say "hi".

- ShadowMan
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

Mark Davis

Quote from: jstnstein on February 24, 2012, 01:26:29 AM
Looking forward to meeting you.

boscohurn

It's already 50 deg.....but the range is snowed in.  18 in. +/- last week.  County plows got the highway done before our plow guy could get there.  Wall of snow, all set-up and hardened.  It has been breached but barely.  So....snow shoes, rifle, bag, shovel.  Stumble down the hill, clean up the bench area.  Trudge across the frozen tundra to set targets.  I am just not sure I hate paper that much.  I have to think about this.