News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

RV trip to Mass.

Started by Redwolf, February 11, 2012, 09:57:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redwolf

Hi All
We are planning a RV trip to Boston for April to walk the walk ,so to speak. We would like to be there for the 19th.  I have been looking at campgrounds in the area but most do not seem to open until May 1.  Would any one have information on a good campground to stay?

Lakevillian

Normandy farms in Foxboro, MA is open year round I think.  It is a private campground, very, very, nice, but not cheap.   You could go online and look it up.  It is about 45 minutes or so from battle road.  Some MA state parks are open for RV's year round, but I'm not sure which ones.

John
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God"

How to resist, that's the rub.......

Redwolf

Thanks Lakevillian,  Normandy looks good I was also looking Rose beach. They both look like they are 40 to 50 miles.  Do the public transportations run to the area sights, Lexington and Concord? We were thinking of taking a train or bus in to get the T. I have driven in Boston many years ago and would like to avoid that. :D I pull the camper with a Dodge 2500 it is not the best for down town traffic and will not fit in most parking garages.
John

crak

http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/bus/routes/?route=76

That bus will get you from Alewife (the end of the red line subway) to lexington.   The 1666 Mass ave stop will be very close to Lexington Green and the Lincoln Lab stop will be very close to Fiske Hill, which is the end of the marked off Battle Road. 

I don't know what will get you to Concord other than maybe a commuter rail train, but there is a lot of cool stuff to see if you walk to the North Bridge from Fiske hill.  I've walked all of the segments between the highlighted stops at one time or another (not all on the same day) and I'm glad I have.  Certainly puts things in perspective and makes it tough to put them out of order when you tell the story.  It's certainly doable in a day.  The walk back might be a little less fun. ;)
Check your drama at the door.

Lakevillian

Lexington / Concord are NOT Boston proper.  They are suburbs and really not to be scared of for driving through most week days.  Weekends will be a lot of soccer mom / Starbucks traffic though.  Try out the freedom trail also, you will want to take the T there, or park in the Boston Common underground garage.

John

Redwolf

Thanks Crak the schedule will be a big help. Hope the gas prices don't undo the trip.

Lakevillian

Any update on the trip?  I had not heard of the Beach Rose campground before.  Looks like a nice spot in the summer.  Usually cold ocean water there all year though.  Go to the South coast of NE for warm water in the summer.

John

The Old Guide

Last year we went to Fred's AIBC the weekend of the reenactment on Lexington Green. We stayed at the Minuteman Campground in Harvard. It was nice, shaded by pines and has a small store. Sites are generous and level. The entrance is steep and very long units will drag at the rear going in. You'll see the gouges in the pavement.

www.minutemancampground.com/
Our history is not a list of dates and places. It is a dynamic adventure of freedom and individual courage.

Crak's IBC, August 2010.
Fred's AIBC, April 2011
kDan's IBC, March 2012
Northeast SC Confab, Feb. 13

Redwolf

Thanks to all. We made the trip and all went well.
Standing at the North Bridge and putting yourself in their time is an experience.  If you get the chance I highly recommend it.  We stayed at the Minuteman camp ground. Nice camp ground very friendly people.