News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Corona, CA - Jan 28-29, 2012

Started by Mr Pete, January 30, 2012, 01:39:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Pete

Placeholder for the AAR

This weekend was the epitome of perseverance.  Actual gale force winds (gusts of +36mph) assailed us in setup and presented more than a few problems all Saturday.  I can honestly say that I've never eaten so much dirt in one sitting. 

Target backers, porta-potties and everything not staked down were sucked up or knocked over.  Industrial sheeting on the shooting berms generated an incredible racket and was continually threatening to shake loose and take out a car or two.  We were close to calling it on the basis of safety, but I'm glad we didn't have to.  In true American (and Appleseed) form our instructors were met by 25+ brave souls.  15 of them were young men from a boy scout troop.  When others were seeking shelter our shooters were out in such conditions actively seeking to improve themselves.  I saw true grit in every one of our shooters...grit in the eyes, ears, nose and mouth...but most of all in their hearts.  Their determination and resolve were tested and they all passed.

I'll post more later after composing my thoughts.  Post your pictures and comments.

-Peter
"You will recognize your own path when you come upon it, because you will suddenly have all the energy and imagination you will ever need." – Jerry Gillies

Psych Doc

As Pete said, the conditions were a real bear this weekend. Bravo to all the shooters who showed their mettle by persisting in spite of the conditions.

In particular, my hat is off to the scouts of Troop 660, who came out and in these very difficult conditions, demonstrated maturity and character. Despite being sandblasted on Saturday and baked on Sunday, the scouts hung in there and honed their skills without complaint. When you get a chance, let us know how the merit badge shooters did.

Overall, I witnessed huge improvements by shooters of all ages throughout the weekend. Perseverance was high amongst the several shooters who struggled to sort out formidable equipment problems. And I observed everyone solidifying their firing positions and mastering the six steps to firing the shot.  Accordingly, Group sizes shrank dramatically, until the specter of fatigue set in late on Sunday. If you practice what you learned this weekend, I predict that a number of you will be in the hunt for Rifleman at your next event.  I hope to see you all again soon.

All the best,
Robert

Big E

I (Everett) had a great time although I didn't shoot as well as I hoped for.  The Loop Sling was a great improvement, glad I finally conceded to the suggestion (thanks to Rick for having one I could buy).  Okay, here's the big surprise.  Although I knew I messed up a lot on the AQTs, I went ahead and scored them when I got home Sunday.  On the one that I only fired 36 out of 40 (ran out of time for 2 on the 2nd stage and 2 on the 3rd stage), I still shot a 191!!!!   Big improvement.  I'm going to practice my stances and transitions along with all the mental checks.  Me and my tube feed will be ready for the next Appleseed that I can get to in a couple of months.

The Boy Scouts were great, I'm glad that Appleseed gave them a chance to work on there badges in addition to the AQTs.  I honestly felt very safe around these young men with rifles; very mature goup (Troop 660 out of Cypress I think).

BTW - if anyone from the weekend wants to get a hold of me (maybe go to the range on a non-PA weekend, I can be reached at eferguson68@gmail.com

Psych Doc

A 191! Fantastic Everett! Your skills really came a long way this past weekend. And thanks again for all your help setting up and tearing down the line. I look forward to seeing you again soon.

-Robert

Johnnyappleseed

Welcome to the forum "Big E " I enjoyed reading your post.
Nice shooting with that "trap line " tube fed  ,22 . It's not easy to achieve high scores with those.

Mr Pete , great job keeping thr spirirt of liberty alive .  O0

P.D. Robert- and the other instructors , the founders were looking down with pride on your efforts O0

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

rrhartley

Everett, I was glad to be there for you. Saturday morning didn't look to promising but the group hung in and got a pleasent suprise when the wind died down about 10:00am. The scouts were totally awesome and very polite. The fire was rekindled on Sunday when we posted two 2x4s for the shooters to saw in half with 22 rounds. Then Bob210 brought out Nigel - The zombie Red Coat to entertain the shooters. It was another great Appleseed.
Here are some pictures Shawn (Mr. 45) and I took.

Rick

Foppish Dandy

Just a quick post this time around... Thanks again to all the instructors for the help and encouragement. I'm still a bit frustrated that I didn't even manage to top two-hundred this time around, let alone score rifleman. However, as you guys always say... it's about persistence in the face of hardship. If Samuel Whittemore could still attempt to load his musket after getting half his face shot off and being bayoneted thirteen times, I suppose I can stomach my pride and keep persisting for that 210.

Anyone know if Freeman has posted his pics yet? Also... Here's my token gripe about the wind that first morning... That was just hideous! I was cleaning out my ears for the next week!
Foppish Dandy, Mr. Dandy, Señor Dandy, Capt'n Dandy

Please take a moment to visit and "Like" the Southern California Project Appleseed Facebook Page.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin (Notes for a proposition at the Pennsylvania Assembly, 1775)

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom — go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!"
- Samuel Adams (Speech, State House of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, August 1, 1776)

Mr Pete

Blustery doesn't cover it.  All the other shooters at the various ranges were closing up shop as we had shooters drive up.

I have a new appreciation for the Boy Scouts.  Never before have I been more impressed with a group of young men.  From their leader (Nathan) to their youngest I have high hopes for the future of our nation.  What sticks out in my mind is the fact that they improved and didn't allow themselves to be overwhelmed in such crazy conditions.  That goes for all of our shooters!

Miss Sarah made a big impression.  Her grandfather watched quietly in the background as she patiently worked through everything on Saturday.  She held her own as the only young lady on the line.  I hope my daughter has such focus and determination. 

Saturday Redcoats showed us that we had room for improvement...which we got in spite of everything!

SaturdayAMPM
Bonus33
Cleared00

Sunday was a chance to put it all together and we had some great scores in the 200+ (but not quite 210) as well as several in the 180+ range.  Everybody was bone tired as the entire scout troop slept on-site and even cooked for the host parents the night before.  Everybody was drained but in a good way.  Persistence is key but some of our shooters seemed to just pick things up.  Scout Kevin worked and worked and was able to hit a 47 in standing.

A good friend of mine once told me that, "circumstances make heroes".  At the Saturday instructor debriefing we all went around the table and talked about improvements for Sunday.  Overwhelmingly the wind and adverse conditions were brought up as something people wished was different.  Me on the other hand, I welcomed it.  Appleseed weekends test the mettle of our shooters.  Instructors and shooters alike I was impressed by what I saw.  In conditions that made other people run away I saw 25 people work, toil, learn and overcome.  I saw our instructors struggle but meet head-on the difficulties presented.  Nobody gave up...and in my mind, everybody succeeded. 

Thanks to all the shooters, parents, scouts and instructors who made this a memorable and safe event.

-Peter
"You will recognize your own path when you come upon it, because you will suddenly have all the energy and imagination you will ever need." – Jerry Gillies