News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Howdy Alaska

Started by Edheler, March 06, 2012, 10:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Edheler

So, I have always been interested in visiting Alaska. I can't think of a better reason than going to an Appleseed. Given the travel distance and my status I think it might be better to show up as a junior instructor since I don't know what the rules might be for traversing a large portion of Canada with even a 22LR rifle.

I guess I am looking for advice. I was thinking of doing this later in the summer, perhaps July (no shoots currently scheduled) or August. My plan thus far is to take 2 weeks off from work and drive to Alaska in the week leading up to the Appleseed and drive back the following week.

I look forward to your thoughts.

SavageShootr

"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

GEmanuel

Were I making that trip I would think about using UPS to get my rifle(s) there and back, it might save some aggravation. Of course it would also create some angst. A phone call to Customs would probably answer all of your questions. It is a beautiful place, take your camera and get in some non-Appleseed shooting too.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." — George Washington

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it." --Mark Twain (1835-1910)

"A constitution is not the act of a government, but of a people constituting a government; and government without a constitution is power without a right. All power exercised over a nation, must have some beginning. It must be either delegated, or assumed. There are not other sources. All delegated power is trust, and all assumed power is usurpation. Time does not alter the nature and quality of either." ~ Thomas Paine

Charles McKinley

Hi EH,

You are looking at about 80 hours of drivetime each direction.  IMHO 2 weeks for this trip with a seed in the middle is going to leave litte time for anything outside of sitting behind the wheel.  I would consider a different way to get there or more time.
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

Edheler

Stand,

You're probably right, but I don't have 3 weeks of vacation available to spend this year.  :(

Rafn

The paperwork for bringing a rifle through Canada is a pain,  but doable.  The lead times can be a bit much.  See: http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/rightsandfreedoms/a/gunstocanada.htm

Far easier to check a rifle as a carryon (look at the airline's baggage fees though - some are getting too greedy), or let us know what you shoot.  There may be a loaner available depending on what's been committed already, but you may need to bring your sights (my loaners are still wearing factory irons).