News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

How big is your ego?

Started by EEL, November 30, 2010, 06:49:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EEL

So how big IS your ego?  Big enough to topple an empire?

Check your ego at the door.  This is a phrase often preached to us....... and for good reason. 

Consider the following:

King George had a good thing going.  The Colonies were working hard.  Monies were flowing.  Life was good.  Then the King began to worry that the Colonies were feeling a bit too independent.  That they wanted some control over their own lives and how they were governed.  This did not set well with the King's ego, not unlike a parent being upset with a teenager striving to be their own person.  He enlisted the help of 2 of his minions, Gen, Gage and Col. Smith to put the perceived rebellion down.  There was no rebellion at this point, so one must ask if paranoia was at play here as well.  What unfolded was a self fulfilling prophecy.

When the King's men entered Lexington and shot the guy in the back, you all know the guy, Jonathan Harrington, the Colonists did not immediately declare war.  The order of the day was "Do not fire unless fired upon."  They were outraged, yes, but not to the point of an all out war.  Had the Crown been satisfied with that and returned to Boston, chances are we would all be drinking tea about now.  But the Crown's ego wouldn't allow that and, seeing little resistance, were only encouraged.  We all know the Crown had little regard for the Colonists anyway and considered them "rabble."

Instead they marched on to Concord.  The Colonists there didn't relish war either so they retreated, watched, and waited.  When more of their own were shot down, you could say the die was cast.  These were not simply isolated, separate Colonists.  They were friends, relatives, Countrymen.  The Crown, just like with the early powder raids, had underestimated the resolve and outrage of the Colonists. 

As the troops neared Merriam's Corner, Colonists from near and far let the King know what they thought of the actions.  And so the prophecy was fulfilled.  The King, afraid of losing power in the Colonies, afraid of allowing any independence, paranoid about Adams, Hancock, and others trying to take control of his "turf", lost the entire continent.  It wasn't due to ignorance, apathy or laziness.  He was his own undoing.

There is a quote that goes something like this:  Those that do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.  What if Fred had been around to tell the King "Check your ego at the door starts at the top"?  Would there have been a revolution?  The King was certainly not the first to have his empire brought down by his own ego.  Sadly, he will, in all probability, not be the last.

EEL

Standard disclaimer: As always in anything I post, read the words for what they say. Read no hidden meanings. Read no sarcasm.  Read no subtle messages to anyone.  This is posted for the sole purpose of focusing on the value of reminding us all of the "basics" of Appleseed, and to point out one aspect few of us ever consider - the impact of ego on every one of us, as a person.
Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

Pappy

Hello Group; The shot fired into Jonathan Harrington, was at best a lucky shot.. But Murder just the same.. as the order of the day called for no harm to fall on the inhabitants.. How far they fell to do the deeds of that day...   I have often thought & wondered if these fellows who stood across the green from each other, did each one THINK before they opened fire on these men. Did they consider that they may not live to see another day.... At this point often I wonder if the British Regular who fired that shot made it back to his family ever.. What cost was paid that day with untold Crimes committed by those who thought they were Just & right in there convictions... Pappy

Which has greater value?...... Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo..

Gramma Goats

WHOA..... This is a message that will apply to most every area of our lives.   Beautiful timing too, with one year turing into another one tends to reflect on the past and resolves to make the future better.  That is the mission of AppleSeed.   Some history is worth repeating. . . some in not.  Only wisdom will tell us how to sort it out.

Thank you EEL.  Your words are an honest GIFT of wisdom, reflection and direction.

Paulette
"We can evade reality, but we cannot evade the consequences of evading reality." --philosopher and writer Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

Wade

Ego = Edging  God  Out .

Wade
Got Tired of looking for a Rifle Range So we Dug one up!
WOOF!
4 box's #1 the soap box#2 the letter box #3 the ballot box #4 the cartridge box, The founding fathers picked up the Cartridge box so that WE could use the first 3,,IMO If you don't use those 3 then you dishonour the founding Fathers !

Jungle George

How true Wade,  Ego is a killer.  I think even if the British had went home from Lexington Green the war would have broken out later.  The British had an ego and wanted to rule us, they thought they were better than us and that day they had an awakening; farmers, shopkeepers, blacksmiths, and a gunsmith showed them that we knew very much what we are all about.
  The winter is a good time to reflect on how we will move foreward in the new year and checking our ego at the door.  A good post EEL!!

JG
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel.  Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined."  Patrick Henry ,1778

Pappy

Which has greater value?...... Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo..

ben1775

Amazing how one man can undo something so big and so important. The sunrise on that crisp April day may have seen the tragic death of Jonathan Harrington but that evening the sun set on the British Empire.  Events unfolded that day that could not be undone and the continent was lost.

Perhaps it is a blessing that tyrants have insatiable egos and that they believe they can hold under their boot heel honest, independent men in the employ of righteousness.  Perhaps their ego reveals the rotten structure underneath the surface and like the rotten core of an apple it fails and from the seeds scattered, new and stronger trees grow. Trees whose fruit is sweeter, whose roots are deeper, and whose limbs carry greater weight.

Centralized bureaucracies headed by ego driven monarchs always fail. They uncoil with predictable rapidity and from the scattered remnants greater organizations rise. Organizations who recognize the role of the individual and the unique ability people have to self-organize and pursue what is right, just, and good. The monarch believes he is doing what is right all along but he is blind to the truth and instead travels a hazardous road indeed.

Let us not make the mistakes of King George, let us recognize our own ego and the danger it might pose.

King Hancock forever.

Boba Fett

Eloquent words Brother EEL. You too Ben 1775. It breaks one's heart to see people wanting to be a part of what the Monarch was doing... wanting to remain connected as Englishmen, but driven away and forced to chose otherwise because of one man's paranoia and ego getting the best of him. I'm sure he had help from his inner court as most Kings have advisory councils who will tell him what he wants to hear in order to play the politics and stay in his good graces. It makes you wonder what might have been if he had decided to LISTEN to his people in America and see for himself what was really going on rather than relying on his inner circle and their opinion as to how things were being perceived. He might have avoided an 8 year war that put his country even further in debt, killed hundred's of thousands of people both colonial and his own.

All that bloodshed... For what? Why? because of one man's paranoia, ego, and need to control the aspects of every single persons life within the colonies. Fortunately for us today, they said no and broke away to create a better life for us all. I love and thank them for doing so and do my best to honor them at every Appleseed I attend.

Boba

JustJeff

Quote from: Boba Fett on December 01, 2010, 01:27:07 AM
Eloquent words Brother EEL. You too Ben 1775. It breaks one's heart to see people wanting to be a part of what the Monarch was doing... wanting to remain connected as Englishmen, but driven away and forced to chose otherwise because of one man's paranoia and ego getting the best of him. I'm sure he had help from his inner court as most Kings have advisory councils who will tell him what he wants to hear in order to play the politics and stay in his good graces. It makes you wonder what might have been if he had decided to LISTEN to his people in America and see for himself what was really going on rather than relying on his inner circle and their opinion as to how things were being perceived. He might have avoided an 8 year war that put his country even further in debt, killed hundred's of thousands of people both colonial and his own.

All that bloodshed... For what? Why? because of one man's paranoia, ego, and need to control the aspects of every single persons life within the colonies. Fortunately for us today, they said no and broke away to create a better life for us all. I love and thank them for doing so and do my best to honor them at every Appleseed I attend.

Boba
O0  well said.
Your version of "ineffective" does not necessarily reflect the truth....
Having been "ineffectively" taught to the Rifleman Standard and having been "ineffectively" taught to teach others to the Rifleman Standard, I believe I prefer the "ineffective" over the other choice.

Lakevillian

As quoted in the master instruction manual:

Patrick Henry described the American Revolution as "the grand
operation, which seemed to be assigned by the Deity to the men of this age in our
country, over and above the common duties of life".

I see the above to be true, and we are seeing the opening act of the grand operaton of our age.

If we can be objective to the events of the day and keep our ego in check while following our common sense like our
founding fathers we will see the fruit of this generations grand operation.

Lakevillian
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God"

How to resist, that's the rub.......

charlie06

This is a great post. It's funny not that long ago, we sat as a family and watched Robin hood. As I was watching it, I realized that what was going on then, is going on in today's world.  The Ego has been a thing that has destroyed many leaders from century's back to, today's society,  Leaving the ego at the door, would of changed the history played out then.   

Gramma Goats

Pres Ronald Reagan said something like  *it is amazing how much you get done if you don't care who get's the credit for it*. . . .  Amen and pass the plate.
"We can evade reality, but we cannot evade the consequences of evading reality." --philosopher and writer Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

B-Line

O0 O0 O0 O0

I hope this post isn't against the CPR policy.

MamaBear

Quote from: Gramma Goats on December 01, 2010, 08:02:15 PM
Pres Ronald Reagan said something like  *it is amazing how much you get done if you don't care who get's the credit for it*. . . .  Amen and pass the plate.

Excellent quote, GG, and so true!!

MB
"I would like to see every woman know how to handle firearms as naturally as they know how to handle babies."-Annie Oakley

'"A girl with a husband can be limited in what she can do. A girl with a rifle ain't got that problem." Calamity Jane

mountainman2222

We all have egos.  The trick is to control your ego and not let it control you.  I like to believe that were I faced with the same challenges the Colonists faced, I would have had the courage to do as they did.  I also believe that Appleseed (the mission transcends all BS), by its very nature, attracts that same, dedicated, independent, and, well, I'll say it, men and women who "know very well what they are about", that fought in the revolution.  Had King George been more diplomatic, we could very well be flying a flag that looks much different than the one we so proudly raise today.  What did King George try to do with the colonists!?!  He could have given birth to a nation!  He could have been a founding father?  The rewards most certainly would have been tremendous!  Maybe it was a matter of lost perspective.  Maybe he could not stand the loss of control.  Maybe it was something bizarre.  I don't know.  For the modern day perspective I ask; How many of us would take on a job if we were told that there would not be a promotion, your opinion doesn't count, you will have to pay for the privilege to work, and you will never get a raise?  Sounds silly doesn't it.  I say that given the circumstances back in the day the results were inevitable.  I also say that the Colonists needed each and every other Colonist to fulfill their destiny, completely.  Each Colonist lost to the revolution was significant.  They could not afford the luxury of ego.  How many lives were lost to ego?  Are we that much different?  Have we achieved all our goals?  How many times has my ego led me astray?  Once is too much and it has been more than once.  Please enjoy the life our founding fathers worked so hard for.  Do not allow the small things to get to you.  And, as it has been said, it is all small stuff.  Love, laugh, forgive, and live.  It is never too late to right a wrong.  BS!!  Right the wrong before its too late.  

I hope each and every one of you has the very best holiday season ever.  It will be exactly what you make of it.  Merry Christmas.

Marty
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.  Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  --Bejamin Franklin

colycat

Great post Mountainman,

You seem to have a very good grasp of Appleseed O0
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

The Log

Quote from: ben1775 on December 01, 2010, 12:54:07 AM
Amazing how one man can undo something so big and so important. The sunrise on that crisp April day may have seen the tragic death of Jonathan Harrington but that evening the sun set on the British Empire.  Events unfolded that day that could not be undone and the continent was lost.
Excellent! I'm stealing this for my First Strike - if you don't mind, that is. ;)
"The future belongs to those that show up." - hawkhavn

PHenry

In the words of the late Sri Chinmoy: My ego talks, My humility acts.

I came to Appleseeds with an enormous ego, that I never really recognized for what it is - a burden and an obstacle. I will always wrestle with it I suppose, but the first step is admitting the problem to myself. Appleseeds - the great self-help course that has a side benefit of saving our country.  ^-^
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

Whisker

"The people don't like to be conquered, sir, and so they will not be. Free men cannot start a war, but once it is started, they can fight on in defeat. Herd men, followers of a leader, cannot do that, and so it is always the herd men who win battles and the free men who win wars. You will find that is so, sir." -The Moon is Down
What brings together men liberated from local and national limitations is also what keeps them apart. What pushes for greater rationality is also what nourishes the irrationality of hierarchical exploitation and repression.  What creates society's abstract power also creates its concrete unfreedom.

AFTERMATH

"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

The Wolfhound

It comes down to power.  Few are the despots than will willingly relequish it.  Those who seek power are the last that should be trusted with it.  Beware those who wield power willingly, they will succumb to its temptations.  It has always been so.  It has not changed.

jollybfd

This is a neat older discussion that provides good food for thought when opening and framing the events of April 19, 1775.  Definitely worth thoughtful consideration.
Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by the love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest. - Declaration of the Continental Congress, July 1775

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. - Thomas Jefferson

Old Dog

So, is ego that personal belief that you are good at what you do and able to get the job done?

Is ego that belief that your way is the right way and you intend to do it your way regardless of what others say?  Or is that stubbornness.  Or are you correct, that doing it your way will get the job done right?  Of course others may not agree with you.  Are they right or wrong?

Sort of a perspective thing.  You think you're right, someone else thinks you're wrong (and they usually outnumber you) so who is right?  Take a vote?  Not everything is decided by votes (and rightly so sometimes based on time or on the preceived importance of the outcome of the particular thing there is disagreement on.

If in your experience your way has always worked for you is it ego to assume your way will continue to work (absence the work of others to make your way fail?)

Is it only labled "ego" when you fail to fall into line with the group/majority/leader?

How do you have confidence in your abilities without ego?  How do you get through hard/bad times without the belief you have in yourself and your abilities to come out on top, to survive and improve?

Anyone with drive has ego.  Without the belief they will accomplish their goals why would they waste time working towards those goals?  Again, is it only ego when you refuse to knuckle under to those around you or above you who want you to do it their way?

Think about it.  Feel free to disagree.  My belief in my beliefs are not threatened by disagreement from others.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

oladcock

You nailed it OD. Is confidence in yourself and your ability mixed with drive to accomplish a task ego? Is standing up toe to toe with those you disagree ego? Some would think so, usually those with whom you disagree! :) But those looking on will see a different picture.

Anyone with any leadership ability tends to have egos and it's human nature for those to clash. We aren't going to change that. It's HOW they clash determines whether it's good or bad. One thing that'll get my dander up is those in leadership or authority who belittle others in a public way. The way to make yourself look good is to make your troops look good, praise in public, discipline in private, step aside and let them take the glory/credit. Occasionally you'll run into individules where that won't work but is rare......O.L.
"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato 400BC

President Roswell Gun Club
AQT 246
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
IBC 2018
KD Ft. Bliss Tx. 214  2019
IBC 2021

Roswell, NM
Carlsbad NM
El Paso Tx
Lubbock Tx
New Deal Tx
Levelland Tx
Alamogordo NM
Alburquerque NM
41 Lead Farm Tx

Wade

Self esteam  and Ego ,,self esteam will say I am good at shooting But I can be better  if I get training ,,,,, Ego will say I am A good shot and don't need no training ,,How often have we seen bolth ?
Right now I am to darned tired to put it in better words ,,but just google bolth EGO and Self Esteam.

I chould learn to spell better but lazyness says why ,,but thats another story **)

Wade
Got Tired of looking for a Rifle Range So we Dug one up!
WOOF!
4 box's #1 the soap box#2 the letter box #3 the ballot box #4 the cartridge box, The founding fathers picked up the Cartridge box so that WE could use the first 3,,IMO If you don't use those 3 then you dishonour the founding Fathers !

PaxxAZ

My ego allows me to wade into this wonderful commentary. The definition of ego is varied and fuzzy like many things. Fundamentally from a psychological perspective it is what allows me to believe I am not part of this keyboard I am typing on.   In today's common language we think of Ego as "Inflated Ego" this is not the same thing.
I personally believe I have one of the biggest Ego's of anyone I know. It allows me to go to events like concerts on my own if I cannot get a friend to go with me, it allows me to continue on projects that seem too difficult to accomplish and that it is easier to quit.
Self Esteem is just the Value you put on your "Self" are you worth more than that?
My Ego allows me to find amusement when I am well insulted, and very little rise when not well insulted. It allows me to respond in kind when I feel it is appropriate and fun, and ignore it when there is nothing worth pursuing by doing so.
It allows me to differentiate my Self from the insults hurled it's way.
Check your Ego at the door, should be taken one of two ways, recognize it and recognize your Goals and allow your Self to be the person best suited to attain them. Or it can be simply "Don't bring your idiocy with you". Ego however is not the evil thing we all make it to be unless your goal is to simply be one of the masses.
It is the well we draw from to keep standing when we should simply drop to our knees.
From a biblical perspective, Pride is a vice. To be proud of your Self, it probably is and leads to vanity. To take pride in your work, that is something well and good.
In short, I am saying you are all giving Ego a bad wrap that it does not deserve.  A big healthy Ego allows people to fail and to get back up and do it again, a big unhealthy Ego has people blaming everyone else for their Failing, or worse.
There are many things talked about that make the people of the US
different; being riflemen is one, asking why is another, as is getting
what needs doing done.

-Me 2011

GEmanuel

I suppose a healthy ego is a good thing for many of the reasons discussed here. When I hear the expression 'check your ego at the door' I tend to equate it with another expression, 'there is no "I" in "team"'
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." — George Washington

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it." --Mark Twain (1835-1910)

"A constitution is not the act of a government, but of a people constituting a government; and government without a constitution is power without a right. All power exercised over a nation, must have some beginning. It must be either delegated, or assumed. There are not other sources. All delegated power is trust, and all assumed power is usurpation. Time does not alter the nature and quality of either." ~ Thomas Paine

PHenry

I came across this today. Seems we didn't invent this issue:

"In reality there is perhaps no one of our natural passions so hard to subdue as pride. Disguise it, struggle with it, beat it down, stifle it, mortify it as much as one pleases, it is still alive, and will now and then peek out and show itself." --Benjamin Franklin
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

Two Wolves

An old Cherokee is teaching his grandson about life. "A fight is going on inside me," he said to the boy.
"It is a terrible fight and it is between two wolves. One is evil - he is anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego." He continued, "The other is good - he is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, and faith. The same fight is going on inside you - and inside every other person, too."
The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather, "Which wolf will win?"
The old Cherokee simply replied, "The one you feed."
~ Two Wolves ~
A moral compass provides a basis for making decisions; an action is good or bad, right or wrong when viewed in the light of the individual's moral bearing. If no moral compass exists for the individual, then decisions and actions are made on the basis of purely subjective thoughts. This leads to "If it makes me happy, or makes me feel good, or if it's something I simply want to do, then it is right and good."