News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Glen Helen, CA - Oct 22-23, 2011

Started by Mr Pete, October 24, 2011, 08:32:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Pete

Hey All,

Short version:  Great time, no riflemen, 1 Orange Hat.

Medium version:  Fantastic time with a covered line and shaded teaching area.  That we have no riflemen is simply heartbreak for many...including myself.  We had many people (4+) who scored over 200 consistently...one scored 209 twice!  Heat, dust, fatigue, etc tipped it the other way...next time folks...of that I have no doubt.

Long version:  TBD

Please post your comments and pics.

-Peter
"You will recognize your own path when you come upon it, because you will suddenly have all the energy and imagination you will ever need." – Jerry Gillies

Johnnyappleseed

I bet they all had the heart of a Rifleman ;)
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Mr Pete

Quote from: Johnnyappleseed on October 24, 2011, 12:53:50 PM
I bet they all had the heart of a Rifleman ;)

Absolutely!  On the last day, many saw it as one more opportunity to use their ROCs.  Quite a few were plagued with equipment issues and other difficulties.  I can't count the number of equipment swaps we had.  What made it a great day for me was that I didn't see any run-away frustration...just persistence.  Instead of driving off in a cloud of dust everybody stayed later on Sunday helping out, socializing, swapping telephone numbers and stories.

-Peter
"You will recognize your own path when you come upon it, because you will suddenly have all the energy and imagination you will ever need." – Jerry Gillies

Mr Pete

The long version:
Lap of luxury is how I would describe the West End Gun Club (WEGC) in Glen Helen.  Shaded line, tree shaded teaching area with picnic tables, Porta-potty next door.  The range even made us brand new painted plywood target backers!

We had 4 families show up the first day.  Many were alumni of the Corona210!  We spent most of Saturday working as product testers for the various rifle manufacturers...problems galore.  I can't count the number or rifle swaps that David, Helen and Ayn had but guest hosts MilitaryMom and Axiom did everything in their power to help out.  Ed and Terry were troopers who hopefully were able to take away some new tips and tricks.  Saturday Redcoats were the typical starting point.  Out of the gate Kelly and Josh were shooting well...when Josh could see his target.  Pat worked hard at everything even though his body was resisting him every step of the way.  Betsy and Jen did very well...living up to the motto on MilitaryMom's shirt (Shoot like a Girl...if you can!)  Rick was back with purpose!  A man who knows very well what he is about, Rick was specifically there to complete his second Appleseed and take the Orange Hat.  Saturday afternoon Redcoats showed great improvement and we closed out a wonderful day.

Sat AMSat PMSun AMSun PM
Bonus0143
Cleared0001

In an extreme example of 7th stepping Axiom and MilitaryMom dragged highly encouraged Wende, Steve, Mitch and Matthew to attend on Sunday.  Jen and Pat were eager to go as were Josh, Kelly and Will (who was at Corona last week).  Counting shooters and instructors we had 9 alumni of the Corona210.

Out of the gate everybody was doing well as the Redcoats can attest to!  Unbelievable groups from everybody.  I can honestly say that this was one of the most skilled groups I've ever dealt with.  7+ shooters were into the 190s.  New shooter Jen was easily over the 150 mark!  I definitely thought Mitch would get his 210.  I don't believe I've met a more polite young gentleman!

Alas, it was a test of persistence and gumption.  As the heat, dust and fatigue set in more than a few shooters helped others put holes in their targets.  Lots of bright duct-tape target frames were put up.  Josh finally had a rifle that fit him with proper eye relief and he had a double feed that cost him the entire 2nd stage of his best AQT.  Kelly had the makings of a Rifleman's patch but was stopped outright when hot brass got wedged between her earplug and ear <ouch!>.  Steve hit 209 twice!  Matt hit 205, Wende had 201, Will had 200+.

Wende's persistence and Corona210 story are probably the most memorable.  On a 210+ AQT Steve (Wende's husband) cross-shot her target.  I only remember because Steve wanted to post his next AQT sideways...out of 150 people at that shoot I remember their story most vividly.  If it were me it would have been one of those stories that we laugh about...much later in life.  In spite of that they were back out on the line shooting and having fun as a family.

In true Rifleman fashion none of them let anything get them down.  With the hearts of Riflemen they forgot the past and spanked those Redcoats!  Wende cleared hers!  As we closed up shop they gathered to clean up, share and laugh.  Rick got the hat he deserved and we are all stronger.

Wende said to me, "It is all just a game...nothing but a game".
I said, "It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that".

Of course it is a game but it brings out the best in people.  It allowed me to see some of what these shooters were made of.  I saw strong families who exemplify the values they espouse.  I saw tight friendships and bonds that were forged with real world experiences...no clicking on a "friend" button here.  I can't believe my luck that I get to meet such fantastic people.

A big thank you to all the shooters who made this event so great.  Also a big thanks from the bottom of my heart to guest hosts MilitaryMom and Axiom as well as Biscuit and Psych Doc.

Hope to see all of you again on (or off) the Appleseed trail,
-Peter

WilSin

Hello all,
Had a great time at this appleseed, and wasn't totally wiped out thanks to the shade. As always got to meet cool people, got to do something I love, and honing my skills every time I go out. I'm definitely considering becoming a member of the WEGC, as I am 20 min away and looking to shoot more consistently. My progress has been slow, but steady, consistently getting scores between 195-200. One of the problems I face, I think, is the red dot I'm using. It's a 5 moa dot and being that stage 4 and the sighting squares are 4 moa, it completely covers my target. I put a order in for the tech sights so hopefully that'll improve my scores.
I'd like to thank the instructors for running a smooth, efficient line, and also Steve and Wende for sharing some of their ammo with me on my last AQT, it really made a difference compared to the stuff I was using.

See you all soon enough,
Will

Psych Doc

What a great weekend!

It doesn't get much better than WEGC for an Appleseed venue! This is clearly one of the best ranges in So Cal.

Lots of progress by our persistant shooters and a new Orange Hat to boot! Quite a few equipment problems and heartbreakingly close AQT's. Patches next time for sure for many of you. I look forward to seeing all of you again down the line.

Peaches

This was definitely a great event - because it was a small group, there was a lot more time for one-on-one instruction and help.

I really do think that I would have had my best shot at Rifleman if I hadn't gotten the shell in the ear... No amount of "bubble" could have cut that out. The stupid little shell took some skin from my ear (it is almost 100% healed), made a dent in my ear plug, and destroyed my concentration on that AQT. From now on I am only wearing my full ear cover, even though they are less comfortable for me than in-ear... Don't want any more distractions like that.

Mr. Pete - I was the one that cleared my Red Coat at the end of the day. It was the first time I had ever done that and I truly believe that it if because of the instruction I have received at these events.

Despite the distance to go from OC to Glen Helen, it really is a great place to shoot. Definitely nice to have the shade and slightly less dust covering you from head to toe at the end of the day.

Josh and I will definitely be back (and he is already working on getting his own rifle set up with the same equipment as the one that he borrowed from Pat). We are determined to get Rifleman!! :-) Just have to keep practicing our NPOA!

Thanks for everything!!

Mr Pete

Peaches, please accept my apologies.  I am absolutely sorry that I slipped up on your final Redcoat!  I didn't mean to raise this post from the dead but I was checking on something and saw that I missed your post.  I hope I'm around when you and Josh get back on the line.

Dry practice at home will make all the difference!  For you two the patch is an eventuality if you persist.

-Peter