News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

LEO Mini AS 12/14/11

Started by Francis Marion, November 21, 2011, 11:18:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Francis Marion

AS has a chance to teach a small class of LEOs to improve their rifle marksmanship.  So, we need a small team of  instructors.   

Date: Wed 12/14/11 in San Diego county. 

This will be a private event and thus not open to the public.

I need at least three instructors on board for this- If you wish to help out, PM me, and we'll get started on planning. 

If there are more instructors interested than this (small) event needs, an instructor team will be chosen from the pool of volunteers to best match up instructors to this particular student group.   

-FM

Leonidas

"I love the People of Boston. I once thought, that City would be the Christian Sparta. But Alas! Will men never be free! They will be free no longer than while they remain virtuous. Sidney tells us, there are times when People are not worth saving. Meaning, when they have lost their Virtue. I pray God, this may never be truly said of my beloved Town." Samuel Adams

ChadC

-Chad

jshoebot

Liberty or death.

"If you want government to intervene domestically, you're a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you're a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you're a moderate. If you don't want government to intervene anywhere, you're an extremist."

Justin

"Le médiocrité est l'ennemi de la parfaite." -

"We have too many high sounding words, and too few actions that correspond with them" - Abigail Adams

California Appleseed
http://www.facebook.com/pages/California-Appleseed/203137793037851

Francis Marion

Justin-
I just read this- if you can make it, you are most welcome. 
-FM

PS- I can't seem to PM you Justin. 

TowedJumper

"American parachutists -- devils in baggy pants -- are less than 100 meters from my outpost line. I can't sleep at night; they pop up from nowhere and we never know when or how they will strike next. Seems like the black-hearted devils are everywhere."  -- Entry from a German Officer's diary captured during the battle of Anzio

Jump footage (generic youtube, not mine) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DZPIGhL3bY&feature=related

Francis Marion

Towed Jumper, just saw your post.  This event went very well.  I saw shooters improve and learn some history. 

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=26747.msg203173#msg203173

Anybody else who was there- chime in. 

Attendees left with more confidence in taking longer shots, besides hearing the April 19 history.  A fine group. 

Their training distances would seem like 'short distance' to competitive/longer range rifle shooters.  A 'day at work' with these guys might mean having to take a shot at what is basically a city backyard length.  (And we all know from Hollywood police programs that officers have to do this every day, sometimes several times per day.  Snort.)  So, when we rolled out the Rifleman quarter mile targets, incredulous protests of 'I can't even see that target!" gave way to skill, quiet confidence, and dry fire snaps.

The Mumbai police could have used an Appleseed.  Perhaps other factors prevented them from engaging the terrorists strolling through their city- but was it lack of rifle skill?   If so, people perished for lack of knowledge. 

In our group, some officers hadn't fired rifles before; only sidearms and shotguns.  These guys tightened up by the end of the program. 

There must be departments in every county who'd benefit from an Appleseed.   

I highly recommend this activity for instructors.  Officers are regular people just like all our other attendees- they benefit from our shooting clinic as much as any other participant. 

Anybody could replicate this event in their county.   Ask them- the department just might say yes.   

TowedJumper

FM, thanks for the reply.   I have to ask, how did you or whomever go about approaching your PD for the LEO event?  I would eventually like to approach our local departments about this but we are redhat poor here until I get on the ball and get my history mastered and finish this off.  I don't want to volunteer any other redhats if I can't participate myself.

Stuff like this is what I want to eliminate..

http://www.fresnobee.com/2010/02/25/1836634/officer-involved-shooting-reported.html

Note that they counted 535 bullet holes in that trailer.  Granted it was probably a lot of searching and suppressive fire, but the right person with the right nerves might have ended it sooner.
"American parachutists -- devils in baggy pants -- are less than 100 meters from my outpost line. I can't sleep at night; they pop up from nowhere and we never know when or how they will strike next. Seems like the black-hearted devils are everywhere."  -- Entry from a German Officer's diary captured during the battle of Anzio

Jump footage (generic youtube, not mine) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DZPIGhL3bY&feature=related

Francis Marion

This event happened because an officer who had been through Appleseed a few years earlier thought that an Appleseed would improve the skillset of his officers for 'long shots' (200m) with their duty carbines, M4.  So an officer took the initiative to contact Appleseed (me) and ask for a shoot. 

But anybody in our prgram could offer either an 'official'Appleseed- and people will step up to staff that- or else offer a mini AS for a department, where it's just you and perhaps some interested instructors & students on their training range. 

Key is talking to the right departmental person, or else lucking out and having the right person contact you.

Now that the program has some officer students, it may be productive to build a referral list of officers who have taken the program and see sufficient value to recommend it to other departments.  If asked, some of them would probably help with networking/documenting their assessment of the program's merit to prospective departments.   

San Diego officers who attended expressed interest in doing it again, so this local momentum will continue and add engaged, proficient, badge-wearing, April 19-hearing shooters to the community.   

It's a natural: interested audience with its own shooting support infrastructure.  Every PD has a shooting range somewhere; carbines are becoming more common and their skilled use should be also.   

People might assume that there's nothing we can teach an officer that they don't already know.  That statement is as wrong, applied to officers, as it is to any other group of students.   The likely truth?  If nobody ever taught them, they don't know, same as anybody.   Badge is not magic. 

Jump in.  No reason to be shy or uneasy around police.  They're people just like us, they need vital skills that we can teach well, just like any other appleseeder does.  It's rewarding to do something positive for men and women who watch out for us on a daily basis. 

Your perspective shifts.  After the event, speaking with one of the shooters, I wished him a safe and peaceful year. 

He replied:  "Thanks, but we didn't sign up for peace and safety.  We create them."     

Justin

Too bad national views it as an event that never happened. An IAAR perhaps?
"Le médiocrité est l'ennemi de la parfaite." -

"We have too many high sounding words, and too few actions that correspond with them" - Abigail Adams

California Appleseed
http://www.facebook.com/pages/California-Appleseed/203137793037851

ChadC

It was nice to see the officers groups improve and then hit the steel at 200(?). So yes, there is always something new to learn.  O0
-Chad

Francis Marion

Quote from: Justin on January 24, 2012, 03:43:29 AM
Too bad national views it as an event that never happened. An IAAR perhaps?
When a good idea needs saying, Justin will say it. 

I just put one up. 

And as Bob 210 says, 'Can you believe we get to do this?'