News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

MARKSMANSHIP HISTORY: Hezekiah Wyman (Dangerous Old Men)

Started by Nickle, May 07, 2008, 10:21:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nickle

As asked for in another thread here.

http://www.winchester.us/ArchivalCenter/Military.html#HW

Hezekiah Wyman

Revolutionary War legend
"The White Horseman"

When the word was spread among Minutemen to gather in Lexington, Hezekiah Wyman, then 55 years of age, mounted his white horse and, with musket in hand, set off from his Cambridge Street home for Lexington and became a legend.

Like other men from Woburn, Wyman (1720-1779) was too late for the fighting at Lexington Common but, continuing up the road, met with British soldiers returning from Concord. All along the route back to Boston was made the legend of the white horseman who charged again and again against the British, killing and wounding a number of the enemy but always escaping, untouched by the shower of bullets around him. According to the newspaper account (first printed in the Boston Pearl, reprinted in the Woburn Journal, July 29, 1887), "his exploits were well nigh fabulous."

"When he met the British he began blazing away at them vigorously with his deadly firearm. Mounted on his strong steed, he rode furiously in the direction of the British ranks. his aim was taken at close quarters, and his shots were sent with a constant fatal effect.

"His tall gaunt form, his gray locks floating in the breeze, and the color of his steed distinguished him from the other Americans, and the British gave him the name of 'Death on the Pale Horse.' The utmost endeavors of his enemy to kill him were unavailing. He passed through the whole melee unscathed and unhurt.

"Once a bayonet charge drove the old man and the party with which he was acting to a distance from the foe; but he was out of ammunition and was then compelled to pick up some. But he ere long returned to the charge and this time killed an officer, and after that exploit the report of his piece was frequently heard till the close of the fight. "His powerful white horse, careering at full speed over the hills, with the dauntless old man on his back, was continually to be seen. The British learned to dread the frequent appearance of this dire rider at unexpected points along the route of their passage, for his aim was true, and the economical principals in which he was trained forbade his wasting powder or ball.

"He lingered at Arlington long enough to aid in a plot laid by Ammi Cutter for taking the British baggage-wagon and their guards [with the old men of Menotomy] ... The story says that Hezekiah pursued the British even after they had entered Charlestown and that he followed the enemy to their very boats; and then, turning his horse's head, returned to his home."

Wyman's name appears on a list of those who served or paid for others to serve in Captain Samuel Belknap's company and is listed for five month's service at Ticonderoga and three months in Jersey. In March 1777 the town of Woburn voted to pay him 8 pounds, 16 shillings, and 10 pence in part for his service in the war.

Wyman survived the war. So did the white mare. Wyman lived out his days, until the summer of 1779, in his house not far from the corner of Cambridge and Wildwood Streets (site of the current 195 Cambridge St.). He owned a large section of land, upon which much of the West Side is now built, where generations of descendants succeeded him. The neighborhood was often called Wyman Plains, and, until recently, the family name was perpetuated through a succession of Wyman schools. (During Wyman's lifetime this area was in South Woburn; in 1850 it was incorporated into the new town of Winchester.)

Written by ELLEN KNIGHT
They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

Sounds like New Englanders to me.

Cav1

Excellent. I had not heard the full story. Sure makes one think as we sit in our comfortable chairs in front of the computer. Dangerous Old Men, the bitter winter at Valley Forge, 500-mile forced foot marches into action, dragging huge cannon through the wilderness from Fort Ticonderoga to Boston, hiding out in swamps between raids. How far we, as a nation, have sunk. Thank God the spark still burns in a handful of American men and women. Hat's off to Dangerous Old Men.
"One hundred misses per minute is not firepower. One hit per minute is." The Guru, Jeff Cooper

socalserf

That might be a better story than the one we tell at AS. But, no mention of a Rifle.
"we cannot improve what we do not measure."

colycat

That story is totally awsome!!  I am such a wimp.....
Coly
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

SavageShootr

Hey Coly,

It IS an awesome story, you too can be a dangerous old man.   ;D

~SS
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

voortrekker

The stories of the "Dangerous Old Men" have become my favorites to hear about and to read about.

I am very glad we have started to implement their stories in the weekend shoots.

To think, these old brush bucks in their day, were considered by most, well past their fighting days, not fighting men worth measure.

But instead, their actions, said, "This is how it is done".

I can only assume that most of these "old guys" were veterans of the French and Indian War.

From what I have read on this "conflict" French and Indian War, this was a really tough war.

The utter brutality given from both sides is staggering and pales in comparison to any historical accounts of war that I have read about to date.

A good start to come to know what I am talking about are books on Rogers Rangers.

The best books that I have read are a series and maybe out of print, but can still be found, a four volume set.

Author : Burt Garfield Loescher

The best volume is the fourth volume, : "The St. Francis Raid"

Get all of them if you can, these will be collector piece books.

Many of the tenants of ambush, patrol and retreat that our current military service use today comes from Rogers Rangers.

Have you ever wondered, "Why are the Army Rangers called 'Rangers'?, well this is where the term comes from.

Read up!  You will come to know what I am talking about.  Plus, it is very entertaining reading.

If YOU are thinking, WE are winning.