News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Are your ready for a Winterseed?!

Started by Glock23, September 27, 2011, 01:14:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glock23

Hey folks, it's that time again: time to start thinking about Winterseeds!
Sportsman's Guide is a great place to get mil-surp gear. Now is a great opportunity to grab some cold-weather gear in anticipation of your next Winterseed. (No, I have no affiliation with Sportsman's Guide)

Quick review: Cotton KILLS! Wait. Err, ummm...well, avoid cotton if possible.

Glock23's Picks
(I'm not a cold weather expert, but I play one on TV.
<--- See that guy? ECWCS Bear Jacket over Polypro Longjohns and a wool sweater. Polyester Fleece hat and neck gaiter. Colebrook, sub-freezing, snowing. Me? Toasty....)

Base Layer:
Polartec Long John Set. These are the latest Polartec ECWCS. You can find earlier versions of these on eBay for a little cheaper, but these are quality stuff.
Another option, Midweight Longjohn set. A little lighter in material, and in the wallet.
12 Moisture wicking t-shirts. Polyester. I've ordered these. Good stuff.

Mid-layer:
10 pairs! Swiss Military Dress pants. Polyester wool blend. Can't beat these for $20
2 pairs of Swiss Wool Dress Pants 100% wool
2 pair East German wool Pants. I'm a big fan of these. 100% wool. Very high quality.
Swedish Full-zip Wool Sweater.
2 pack Swiss Military Wool Sweaters
British Commando Sweater. I have one of these - heavy duty.
British Air Force Commando Sweater. Poly/wool blend.
2 pack Czech Commando Sweaters. Wool blend

Outer Layer:
US Military Fleece Jacket. Part of the ECWCS system. You can sometimes find these cheaper on eBay.
ECWCS Clone Fleece Jacket
British Police Jacket. Not just for Bobbies! Quality poly-fleece jacket.
British Military Fleece Jacket
3 Pack of Polyester Microfleece Caps
3 "Radar" hats. I don't like wool on my head, so here's the synthetic version.
Bomber Hat. For $16 you get an arctic-ready piece of headgear.
2 Pair Swiss Mitts. water-resistant nylon shell, synthetic insulation.
3 Pair French Mitts. water-resistant nylon shell, synthetic insulation.

Shell/Wet weather:
German Gore-tex suit. I know it's camo, but you can't get an entire Gore-Tex rain suit for $36, period. They're used, but re-energize the Gore-tex with Nikwax and they'll be good as new.
German Military Gore-Tex pants.
British Gore-Tex Jacket and/or pants. I know, they're camo too, but you just can't beat the price. Quality stuff.

Accessories:
4 Wool Blankets. Great to have in the car or to curl up in while listening to the 3 Strikes. I have these. Heavyweight and toasty!

And if you're Winterseeding on the Time Bandit out in the Bering Sea... you might need this.

Can't wait for the snow! Hope to see you out on the Winterseed trail!

Glock23

Found that Sportsman's Guide is selling...

<---- THIS Bear Jacket for $18. Pretty good deal.

CaptMac

I just added some wool and silk long undies, purchased at Sierra Trading Post while I was in Wyoming.  Their internet and catalog services have treated me well in the past. 

Layers are important. 
Ramseur Five Ten!!!

"Live Free or Die:  Death is not the Worst of Evils."  Genl.  John Stark, 1809.

Glock23

A few weeks back I purchased the 10 pairs of Swiss Military Dress Pants for $18 as a club member.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=459629
I'm 5'8", with a 34/30 normal pant size - I ordered their "Medium" size and they fit perfectly over my poly-fleece long underwear.

The good:
- At less than $2 a pair you could almost consider them disposable...
- High quality pants. Nice attention to detailed construction. Good stitching, reinforced seams, cuffs.
- 55% polyester, 45% wool means they machine wash well, unlike 100% wool pants. Line dry.
- Lighter weight than 100% wool East German pants makes them a good late Fall/early Spring pant.
- Wear well, comfortable. I wore them during the October Snowpocolypse and post-cleanup, and I wore them at the recent KD day. I've had no problems moving around in them, either chainsawing trees or getting into and out of the prone position.

The bad:
- Button fly. I hate button fly's.

The Ugly:
- Belt loops are only 1", designed for a dress-uniform belt. If you're into suspenders, this is a non-issue. But if you want to wear a belt it's either a dress belt, or you'll need to have the loops modified.

The Log

>:( They only go up to Large. I doubt that would accommodate my prone pillow. :'(

Thanks for the tip, though.

</log>

Quote from: Glock23 on November 09, 2011, 11:22:58 AM
A few weeks back I purchased the 10 pairs of Swiss Military Dress Pants for $18 as a club member.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=459629
I'm 5'8", with a 34/30 normal pant size - I ordered their "Medium" size and they fit perfectly over my poly-fleece long underwear.

The good:
- At less than $2 a pair you could almost consider them disposable...
- High quality pants. Nice attention to detailed construction. Good stitching, reinforced seams, cuffs.
- 55% polyester, 45% wool means they machine wash well, unlike 100% wool pants. Line dry.
- Lighter weight than 100% wool East German pants makes them a good late Fall/early Spring pant.
- Wear well, comfortable. I wore them during the October Snowpocolypse and post-cleanup, and I wore them at the recent KD day. I've had no problems moving around in them, either chainsawing trees or getting into and out of the prone position.

The bad:
- Button fly. I hate button fly's.

The Ugly:
- Belt loops are only 1", designed for a dress-uniform belt. If you're into suspenders, this is a non-issue. But if you want to wear a belt it's either a dress belt, or you'll need to have the loops modified.
"The future belongs to those that show up." - hawkhavn

Glock23

Quote from: The Log on November 09, 2011, 09:35:16 PM
  >:( They only go up to Large. I doubt that would accommodate my prone pillow. :'(

Well then, you have a goal now, don't you?  ~~:)