News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

I am blessed

Started by oneshot_onehole, November 07, 2011, 03:36:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oneshot_onehole

I was reading a thread on another forum asking "what are your simple pleasures in life?"
The replies were things like "watching the sunset", "hot cocoa" etc.

So I went and fixed a cup of hot chocolate and started typing this.

For me the simple pleasures are watching my friends get choked up telling stories from over 200 years ago. I have the honor of spending most weekends with my wonderful wife and the best people I have met in this world - people who give up their time and treasure to make a difference in the lives of other Americans and so hopefully make our country better.

I get to lie in the mud with a family whose husband brings his wife and son to a rifle marksmanship program as an anniversary surprise. Really. The wife had only shot once a long time ago and the ten-year-old boy never had. I get to see her face go from not too pleased to the mom and son coming back on Sunday without the husband (he hurt his back and couldn't get out of bed) and both leaving with a smile and a thank you after a long cold weekend and wanting to come back.

I get to work with a lady who is in constant pain and needs to administer IV pain meds almost hourly. I get to help her find the only shooting position she can tolerate - sitting. I get to watch her persevere for two weekends until she can shoot a Rifleman score of over 210 all from the sitting position. I get to hug her as I give her a patch as she cries.

I get to work with a family who has a teenage son who is not thriving like he could. I get to help them do something together they all can enjoy. I get to shake the hand of the father as he accepts an orange hat and says "In the past month Appleseed has changed my family."

I get to do these things most every weekend.
I am blessed.

Earl

Yeah, it really is that good a feeling, when it all comes together. O0
... to catch the fire in another American for sharing the skills and our heritage to our posterity. Maybe my perfect shots will be made by those I met along the trials and trails of Appleseed. I know that America is a nation of Riflemen.

TruTenacity

"We are fighting for our country, for posterity perhaps.  On the success of this campaign the happiness or misery of millions may depend."  Henry Knox

"Let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap if we faint not."  Galatians 6:9

George Hacker

Thanks, oneshot_onehole.  That's the way I feel about Appleseed except I can't get my wife to come with me.  Keep up the great work!

- ShadowMan
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

spitstickler

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  -Thomas Edison

White-Trash-Marksman

It allways seems to be the small things we all seem to remember. You gotta love that about our brains.   :)
Live every moment as your last, and enjoy life to the fullest!

bravhrt

Great stuff, straight from the heart.
I tell you true, liberty is the best of all things. Never live beneath the noose of a servile halter. ~ William Wallace

Rebellion to tyrants is obedience to God. ~ Benjamin Franklin

Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything. ~ Wyatt Earp

Let us drop talking and get on with our work. ~ Michael Collins

Rifleman - 09.13.2020 @ Pikes Peak GC
Pistoleerâ„¢ - 10.17.2020 @ Pikes Peak GC
IBC - 03.27-28.21 @ Larkspur, CO
Pistol IBC - 05.14-15.21 @ Otto Road Shooting Range
KD Rifleman & Morgan's Shingle - 10.02.22 @ Ben Lomond GC

Xeyed

Spending time in the presense of rilfemen and students who who want to learn rifle marksmanship and our American heritage is refreshing to the soul and spirit.   

I've met many amazing people on and behind the line that have been blessings to me.
One Man awake, Awakens another. The second awakens  His next-door brother.
The three awake can rouse a town. By turning the whole place upside down.

The many awake can make such a fuss. It finally awakens the rest of us.
One man up, with dawn in his eyes, Surely then, Multiplies. Lawrence Trib