News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

D Target Availability

Started by Burnett, November 03, 2011, 09:06:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burnett

Sorry that this is likely not posted in the correct place, I cannot post to "Project Appleseed Discussions", so it's here.

Anyway, I found an on-line target seller that is willing to print out D targets and sell them.
Right now I DO NOT know what the price per sheet would be, but other stuff that I have purchased from them is priced right, shipping has been FAST and their customer service is great.
Assuming a reasonable price, would people here buy them?
Would you buy them in enough quantity to make it worth the company's while to have it done?

Let me know please, and preferably a bit sooner than later so I don't leave them hanging?

Thanks,
Greg

Just occurred to me too that they probably should be able to print them out at half-scale as well as full-scale for use on medium length ranges.

AFTERMATH

Minnesota could probably use at least one set of the full sized targets.

I'm positive there are more.  So....  Bump.
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

ItsanSKS

When referencing the "D" target, I find that it is helpful to note *which* "D" target you are referring to.  There are, in fact, multiple types:

The "Big D" which includes a 3-ring (USGI Repair Center)
The "Small D" which only has a 4 & 5 ring (RWVA Repair Center)
and the "Real D" Which includes a 1 & 2 ring.  *not sure on the 1-ring*

For a Full-Distance AQT, we use whatever we have at our disposal.  The "Big D" is plenty sufficient, and even the Small D is fine for verifying skills. 

I'm sure others will chime in with the actual dimensions of these targets, and correct any mistakes that I've made...

-ItsanSKS
"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

Burnett

Ah, wasn't aware of any with a 1 or 2 ring.
These have the 3 ring and it measures 34" wide and 31" tall.

eaglescouter

Yeah, that is a repair center.

I'm looking for the real D target which is 6' by 6'.
Old Guy:  Do it long enough and you get really good at it.

Rifleman:  Sacramento:  Four Ought Nine
Full Distance:  Red Bluff:  What year was that?
Pistoleerâ„¢:  Hat Creek:  Three Twenty One

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

AFTERMATH

The center doesn't really have a 3-ring, though.  Hmm...  Do we have here, another target all-together?
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

Rimshot

The military repair center has a 3-ring.  The RWVA centers do not.  Then there's the "other" D target that has the wrong scoring rings altogether.  See below - The correct target is on the left, the 6'x6' D target with the wrong scores is on the right.

Eaglescouter, is the right-hand target the one you're looking for?  There's a thread in the Instructor Corps board by yellowhousejake where the NSN for that target is listed.
"Hearing the story of our Heritage told with just dry facts is like hearing Romeo & Juliet through autopsy reports." - Fred

"In 1775, to protect Liberty a man had to knock on his neighbor's door and ask "will you come die with me?"  In 2012, to protect Liberty a man has to knock on his neighbor's door and ask "will you come vote/attend a public meeting/work at a poll with me?"  Jason Russell, and men and women like him, are the reason have a easier task in 2012. The question is, are we up to it?" - YHJ

Burnett

Here is an image of it.
The black "4" center is 26 inches across which still a tad over 4MOA at 600 yards.
Personally, I'd actually extend the 4 down to the 3 line and forget about the 3 all together.
Extend the 5 zone down so that the bottom of the 4 is the same width of the rest of the 4.
Score 4's or 5's or nothing.

eaglescouter

Rimshot:  I seek the target that would be a combination of the two you show.  The 6' target, with the 4/5 repair center.
Old Guy:  Do it long enough and you get really good at it.

Rifleman:  Sacramento:  Four Ought Nine
Full Distance:  Red Bluff:  What year was that?
Pistoleerâ„¢:  Hat Creek:  Three Twenty One

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

slim

The RWVA Full Distance AQT is wonderful and is basically what Burnett has posted but without the 3. See it in the picture below.

These are great for shooting at actual distance and they're a lot easier to carry in bulk (19" x 26" total) when packing up that big shoot box full of crap necessary supplies we all take to events. If you can get these printed in bulk, go for it! I'd love to have a few hundred extra.

The only real downside to shooting a dark silhouette is it's extremely hard to see hits. The flip side of that is it's extremely hard to aim at a transparent silhouette or one the same color as the background of the paper. Something like a Shoot-N-C would be best but those aren't cheap and I doubt that's what the printer can do. Perhaps lightening the silhouette a little, ala the QDAQT would be the way to go? Could save on printing expenses too.

The Log

Are there PDFs available for any of these targets? I found PDFs of the target shown in Slim's post that are scaled for use at 200 yards (i.e., simulate what the full-size target would look like at 300 and 400 yards when set at 200 yards), but I could never find the PDF for the full size target. I'd like to get some printed up for Instructor KD shoots.

</log>
"The future belongs to those that show up." - hawkhavn

AFTERMATH

Quote from: Burnett on November 04, 2011, 12:06:00 AM
Here is an image of it.
The black "4" center is 26 inches across which still a tad over 4MOA at 600 yards.
Personally, I'd actually extend the 4 down to the 3 line and forget about the 3 all together.
Extend the 5 zone down so that the bottom of the 4 is the same width of the rest of the 4.
Score 4's or 5's or nothing.

So, it does appear you have the big 'D' in mind.
The RWVA does send out the Small 'D' centers, which are great for normal use - But the big 'D' would indeed be nice on certain occasions - It should replicate the sillouhettes on the QDAQT.
Extending the '4' and '5' rings would make it too easy...  As it is, it represents a prone target.  And really only the black is an actuall 'hit.' 
Plus, a full size AQT sillouhette is probablably the only target you'll have enough people agree on to make 'bulk' possiblie.  If it's just for centers and for Appleseed - Might as well just order from logistics. 

Fred

Quote from: slim on November 04, 2011, 12:52:16 AM
The RWVA Full Distance AQT is wonderful and is basically what Burnett has posted...If you can get these printed in bulk, go for it! I'd love to have a few hundred extra.

Quote from: The Log on November 04, 2011, 08:56:59 AM
... but I could never find the PDF for the full size target. I'd like to get some printed up for Instructor KD shoots.

These are kinda confusing comments.

Slim, the target you mention is already printed in bulk, and available upon request in your Shoot Box. Why would anyone in this program need to "order them in bulk" when they are already printed in bulk and available to the instructors in this program for use at Appleseeds?

Log, the said target is a full-size target - why would you want a pdf when you can order the actual target with your shoot box?

As to the full-size target eaglescouter seeks, that's fine - but slim is right - they are too bulky for most applications in the program. Plus, by the time shooters are allowed to do KD, you don't really need the extra scoring rings...
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

The Log

Quote from: Fred on November 04, 2011, 08:11:36 PM
     Log, the said target is a full-size target - why would you want a pdf when you can order the actual target with your shoot box?
Because I never knew they were available to order...

Now I know. Thanks for the tip. I'll have some thrown into my next box.

</log>
"The future belongs to those that show up." - hawkhavn

slim

Quote from: Fred on November 04, 2011, 08:11:36 PMSlim, the target you mention is already printed in bulk, and available upon request in your Shoot Box. Why would anyone in this program need to "order them in bulk" when they are already printed in bulk and available to the instructors in this program for use at Appleseeds?
"For use at Appleseeds" is the key phrase there. What if I want to take a few out with my buddies?

While I'm sure RWVA can spare a few targets here and there for "unofficial" practice and promotional purposes, it's been my experience that RWVA has been somewhat (for lack of a better word) stingy when it comes to distributing these targets. They're big, (I'm assuming) expensive to print, and it's not like the shoot boxes are overflowing with them whenever they're requested. I've been fortunate enough to build up a decent stack of them but like all things Appleseed - I WANT MORE!!!

I request them every single time I order a shoot box. I get some too... but I'd like more! I don't expect RWVA to buy targets for my personal use or for "informal" events. If you guys want to send 'em to me in bulk, I'll take as many as you're willing to ship!

Lets do some KD shootin! Huzzah!!!  :---   

Fred

I think the solution, slim, would be to ask for a specific quantity - something in line with expected turnout. :)
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

slim

Quote from: Fred on November 07, 2011, 12:34:15 PMI think the solution, slim, would be to ask for a specific quantity - something in line with expected turnout. :)
Will do!

TxBobS

I too would like some of these  for my personal practice.  Is there any way these could be made available through the Appleseed store or otherwise obtainable not as part of your shoot box?

Alex

Before your next Appleseed, ask the Shoot Boss to order some in the Shoot box. That is the easist way to get them.
Intellect is invisible to the man who has none.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine

TxBobS

Quote from: Alex on June 04, 2012, 05:59:44 PM
Before your next Appleseed, ask the Shoot Boss to order some in the Shoot box. That is the easist way to get them.

That would mean that Appleseed is buying my practice targets to use on my own time.  Doesn't seem like the right thing to do.

Alex

Did you get any AQTs to practice with or is the only time you ever shot them was at an Appleseed? You would not get very many anyways, but to do a good job of teaching full distance you need to be able to do it yourself. I would wager that it benefits Appleseed more to have qualified, know ledable full distance instructors than to have those few targets you would receive. If you feel that bad about it make a donation to the RWVA. ;)
Intellect is invisible to the man who has none.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine

wcmartin1

Solution:

Get some Q&D AQTs for short-range practice - http://www.appleseedstore.flyingcart.com/?p=detail&pid=9&cat_id=

And buy your own HP targets for personal long-range practice - http://www.creedmoorsports.com/shop/Highpower_Targets/

The same skills apply to both with the exception of reading the wind.

It ain't that complicated and it doesn't matter if the target is a "D" silhouette or round - just shoot 'em and your skills will improve.

Git-R-Done!  :---
"Unhappy it is, though, to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast and that the once-happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by a race of slaves.  Sad alternative!  But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?" - George Washington - from a letter to a close friend after the events of April 19, 1775

"There is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our (the United States) overthrow.  Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter.  From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence, I must confess that I do apprehend some danger.  I fear that they may place too implicit a confidence in their public servants, and fail properly to scrutinize their conduct; that in this way they may be made the dupes of designing men, and become the instruments of their own undoing." - Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

George Hacker

Past 200 yards with open sights, they start to look the same anyway.  Especially if your eyes are focused on the front sight.

- ShadowMan
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

wcmartin1

Quote from: ShadowMan on June 05, 2012, 01:13:52 AM
Past 200 yards with open sights, they start to look the same anyway.  Especially if your eyes are focused on the front sight.

- ShadowMan

By God!
"Unhappy it is, though, to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast and that the once-happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by a race of slaves.  Sad alternative!  But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?" - George Washington - from a letter to a close friend after the events of April 19, 1775

"There is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our (the United States) overthrow.  Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter.  From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence, I must confess that I do apprehend some danger.  I fear that they may place too implicit a confidence in their public servants, and fail properly to scrutinize their conduct; that in this way they may be made the dupes of designing men, and become the instruments of their own undoing." - Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

jgulso

I have made a PDF scaled to print on a 24x36 (wide format printer) for those who have access to one.  It's a common blueprint size.  I know this is an old thread but it's what came up when I was googling to find KD targets or their dimensions, so maybe this will help someone doing the same thing.

If it's stupid but it works, it's not stupid.

Captain

Thanks jgulso, I've been looking for something like this for "full size" D targets. Maybe some company will make a run of the 6' x 6' targets although I'll bet they will be quite pricey.
There's things that gnaw on a man worse than dyin'. - Open Range

maxwell

Quote from: Captain on October 09, 2019, 01:38:36 AM
Thanks jgulso, I've been looking for something like this for "full size" D targets. Maybe some company will make a run of the 6' x 6' targets although I'll bet they will be quite pricey.

I just asked Pistoleerâ„¢ about it this week, and they said they're looking into it. Maybe if enough people email them it will help push things along; they have good targets and service (no affiliation other than satisfied customer).

Two Wolves

Guys, if your looking for full size paper d targets ( with the 3 ring) send a message to ghostring on the forum. He is the Texas State Coordinator. He had a bunch printed for our Texas KD's. He can tell you where to order them. I think it was National Target. They were not listed on their website but they printed them for us. Ask Jim (ghostring) first. He'll give you the correct information.  :cool2:
A moral compass provides a basis for making decisions; an action is good or bad, right or wrong when viewed in the light of the individual's moral bearing. If no moral compass exists for the individual, then decisions and actions are made on the basis of purely subjective thoughts. This leads to "If it makes me happy, or makes me feel good, or if it's something I simply want to do, then it is right and good."

scuzzy

Quote from: Two Wolves on October 09, 2019, 06:03:55 PM
Guys, if your looking for full size paper d targets ( with the 3 ring) send a message to ghostring on the forum. He is the Texas State Coordinator. He had a bunch printed for our Texas KD's. He can tell you where to order them. I think it was National Target. They were not listed on their website but they printed them for us. Ask Jim (ghostring) first. He'll give you the correct information.  :cool2:

Yup - National Target. I think this is the correct website - I'll have Jim verify this info.

https://www.nationaltarget.com/

Also this are not the standard targets Appleseed ships. We bought these ourselves and asked for donations from the shooters to cover costs.

Searched my PMs to get a bit more info - here's what Ghostring had sent me on this:

Just pinged National Target for a price quote for 500 full-size D targets. 
The quote they gave Bill (ITB) back in October was ~ $400 for 500 targets shipped to his place.
Targets run about .60/ea.   :)  Shipping is a bear, though.   :P

P.S. Project Appleseed isn't footing the bill for this. 

An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.