News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Mariposa CA, Nov 12/13 2011 AAR

Started by V, November 14, 2011, 12:33:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

V

First and foremost, Sorry you didn't get to see this one Cal 7.62 it was a great group of people and Dennis (TowedJumper) and I were proud and happy to be part of their group for a beautiful weekend in Mariposa. Thanks to Matt for coming out and helping us on Saturday.

This was visiting old holiday haunts that I used to visit on business trips before I emigrated here, Gold Country and getting lost in the old ghost towns up and down the 49, 41, 120 circle in and out of Yosemite will always live in my memory. Mariposa was a frequent stop.

So this weekend we had 11 shooters on Saturday with 13 on Sunday, all returned with a few extra's in tow.

A big thank you to the Boots on The Ground (BOTG) Ken and Janet who put up instructors at their house, open the range for us, and put on a great BBQ lunch for everyone. Also Jeff who with Ken took care of getting the range setup and taken down for us with the backers. Its great to have locations where people involved with the range come out and get involved with the Appleseeds as well. Thanks you folks,

Ken shot his AQT on Sunday with a 210 and then after cooking lunch shot a 211 to avoid the deluge...

Janet, improving well with her trusty tube rifle with the snazzy speed loader was close and absent her score stepped up for a Blue Hat to join husband Ken who took an Orange Hat. Welcome to the team and thank you both for your support.

It was clear during the history discussions on both days that the whole group were people who knew very well what they were about, showing knowledge of the Rev. War, Flags, history etc., that was far above what we normally see on the trail. Weekends like this revive the spirits and keep alive the hope that there are enough of us out there, we are not alone, and we can turn this ship around. Remember folks, we all do make a difference, one person or not.

Claire, Tolleman, Jordan and Rachel were out shooting with Brent watching on with a pair of stargazing binocs from the Hubble spacecraft! Talk about being under a watchful eye. Claire show great apptitude with the sling and understood the requirements for NPOA etc but was hampered by the rifle stock being just that bit too long for her but persisted without complaint all weekend. Rachel came out on Sunday and with rifle problems, borrowing an LTR which she skillfully sighted in while everyone else was AQT'ing and then caught up, did a great job, better than you allow yourself to believe. Just relax, get in the zone and it will all come together.

Cynthia, Eli, Melissa and Thaddeus were another family out to have a great traditional American weekend at the range celebrating the heritage of marksmanship. Cynthia was trying for a repeat rifleman from an earlier shoot.  What can I say about Thaddeus.... First, I'm totally envious, for me, coming from a family with no history or tradition of firearms to inherit, to see him shooting grandads bolt action 5 round magazine fed 22, is a feeling I will never be able to experience with my kids. Once he clicked in on his first AQT and got into his zone he busted out a first rifleman score of 232! Not content with that he did it again with a 236. Then I saw him come back with one shaking his head looking real disappointed... "Never mind" I said, "what did you get anyway?"  "Oh, just a 222..." Oh for the eyes of a youth again.... so he finished the day with five Rifleman AQT's with 222 his lowest.... Wear those patches with pride young man, that is some outstanding shooting.

And Mary, a very Determined Dame who continued to shoot the whole weekend with stock ruger sights on her rifle (though she is going to get Jeff to fit here some techsights for next time), persisted when much younger men and women were sitting out from the strenuous efforts, showed an incredible passion for knowledge (we did a takedown of her ruger to see how to clean it and fix it and keep it running). True grit does still exist out here in the West....

Ken and Matthew, up at the end keeping the home fires burning (you had to be there) did a great job keeping us all entertained. Get some slings, practice at home and it will all come together eventually.

And last but not least Harry, who we are all eternally grateful to for putting away that boomer he broke out on Sunday, those tin shelters reverberate too much to shoot under cover. But bring out your Garands next time and we'll put some down range together.

It was a busy weekend for Dennis and I. Thanks for all the help and you did a great job running the show on Sunday. Matt, get signed up on the forum and we will get your help this Saturday noted.

I know there were cameras there so please , click on the "attachements and other options" below the box you are typing in and upload them or link to them using the "little world with and piece of paper icon" up there above the box... type or paste  the link between the [ u r l ] http://.../... etc [ / u r l ] which appears if you have photos up on a sharing site, flicker, photobucket, etc.

Hope to see you all again some day for another fun weekend with your own local instructors running the show...

Cheers
Phil

V

For those interested in such things here are the redcoats

Sat                 Sun
                am         pm        am         pm

400          0             2           3           1
300          0             4           1           5
200          4             1           3           1
100          3             2           5           1
0              4             2           1           2
HS           2              4           6          3
Cleared   0              0           1          0

Cheers
V

mrs_rachel

Hello, everyone! I had a great time on Sunday (sorry to have missed Saturday) and am really looking forward to the next one. V, thank you for the loaner and your help when my rifle started disintegrating in my hands. :)

I have a few pictures, but I'm going to try posting one to see if it works -- when I try to post a lot at once I get an error message. 

mrs_rachel

I have a microbiology exam tomorrow and much studying to do, so rather than resize and upload all 10 of the pictures I have of the event, I uploaded them to Tolley's (b_gummer's) Flickr account and he'll post them as soon as he can, while I am feverishly cramming my brain full of facts about pathogenic microorganisms so that I can support him in his retirement. :)

mrs_rachel

I.... have no idea why that last attachment was intact.   ???

b_gummer

It was another wonderful Appleseed in Mariposa. The weather was pleasant, and it was a delight to meet an entirey new group of instructors. We all enjoyed and profited from the leadership provided by V, TowedJumper, and Matt. We hope you all come back up here real soon!

I saw my son (Tolleman M) grow, and he is now knocking on the door of 200, my daughter Claire continues to learn, and her enthusiasm for the Appleseed program continues to soar. She is committed to not only improving her shooting but is currently devouring my copy of Paul Revere's Ride! She wants to become an instructor one day, and help spread the appreciation for her country the that we teach at home, and Appleseed has reinforced in a powerful way.

I brought my nephew Jordan this time. It was his Appleseed, and he is hooked for life!  It was so much fun, and great time was had by all.

Welcome to Appleseed! by Tolley's Charger, on Flickr

Here is Thaddeus receiving his rifleman patch from V. Thaddeus scored rifleman multiple times this weekend! In fact, I've not personaly seen higher scores at a Mariposa Appleseed. Way to go!

Thaddeus and V - rifleman presentation by Tolley's Charger, on Flickr

A Rifleman perseveres! Here is Ken receiving his Rifleman patch! Awesome job Ken!

Ken and V - rifleman presentation by Tolley's Charger, on Flickr

Here is Ken accepting the orange hat!

Ken gets an orange hat by Tolley's Charger, on Flickr

Mariposa's young shooters :)

Young shooters by Tolley's Charger, on Flickr

Scenes from the firing line...

Line, prone by Tolley's Charger, on Flickr

V helping mrs_rachel sight in the loaner rifle by Tolley's Charger, on Flickr

My son Tolley

100_3150 by Tolley's Charger, on Flickr

My daughter's smile tels the whole story - we love Appleseed! Thank you V, TowedJumper, and Matt!

100_3155 by Tolley's Charger, on Flickr

Tolley "b_gummer"
Rifleman
Mariposa, CA

TowedJumper

I have to say, Claire has more motivation and drive than many a person I have seen in a long time.  Examples:

1) never walked to the target line.  Always ran and was the first person there.  Not that running is a requirement but it stood out.

2) always wanted to answer any question asked by V or myself, and would have too if we had let her.  I tell ya, you better know the correct answer to any question you let her answer, as well as any follow up questions as this Riflewoman in training knows her stuff.
"American parachutists -- devils in baggy pants -- are less than 100 meters from my outpost line. I can't sleep at night; they pop up from nowhere and we never know when or how they will strike next. Seems like the black-hearted devils are everywhere."  -- Entry from a German Officer's diary captured during the battle of Anzio

Jump footage (generic youtube, not mine) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DZPIGhL3bY&feature=related

Johnnyappleseed

I always hope for more attendee's on sun  ;)
Good job !  O0
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge