News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Rocky Creek Ranch Florida Oct. 15-16

Started by DrJohn, October 18, 2011, 05:56:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrJohn

Rocky Creek Ranch, near Myakka City, Florida, was the venue for an Appleseed weekend shoot following a three-day Rifleman Boot Camp. The weather could not have been more ideal, and we had six eager students Saturday. We got off to a fine start with all the fundamentals at one time, Sling Use and Steady Hold Factors for Prone, Natural Point of Aim, and the Six Steps of Firing the Shot. We then worked on the fundamentals extensively, and were fortunate to have an instructor to student ratio of one-to-one. Although the students were all fairly new to the Appleseed way of rifle marksmanship, they displayed a most commendable persistence and willingness to forget former practices and try Appleseed techniques. We saw dramatic improvement in all our students, including our young students Garrett and Chandler, who came with their headmaster Paul. Also there were father and son Ben and Jeff, and Eric. Garrett and Chandler displayed maturity and safety, Ben and Jeff shot well from the very first Redcoat target, and Eric displayed a most remarkable persistence and dedication. Although we had no Rifleman scores over the weekend, all three of our remaining Sunday students went to the Actual Distance range Sunday afternoon and proved to themselves that what works at 25 yards also works at 100 yards and more. They also took to heart the Appleseed maxim that Appleseed is not really about marksmanship, but American heritage, history, and Liberty. The re-telling of the Story of April 19, 1775 was cordially received, and the various vignettes of Dangerous Old Men, Brave Women, and Gallant Children served to remind us all that our ancestors participated in the struggle for Liberty regardless of age, gender, race, or any other superficial consideration. It was a most rewarding weekend, and I speak for all my fellow instructors in saying that it was an honor and pleasure to work with such fine students.
"It is an indispensable duty, my brethren, which we owe to God and our country, to rouse up and bestir ourselves, and, being animated with a noble zeal for the sacred cause of liberty, to defend our lives and fortunes, even to the shedding of the last drop of blood....

Serbonze

I had an amazing weekend, and I sincerely thank all of the instructors for their persistence and dedication.  My father and I came away with the knowledge and tips to become far better shooters.  We both planing attending again, but in the meantime we will dry fire, dry fire, dry fire.

Unfortunately, I came away from the weekend with something that I wasn't expecting - a case of appendicitis!  I'm in the hospital now waiting on surgery.

Jeff

9mm4545

To Jeff: A Scar is Born! Seriously, get well soon. Dry firing will help your recovery. It was a pleasure and an honor to work with you and Ben over the weekend. I do look forward to seeing you on the line again, somewhere, sometime.

The event was fun, fast paced, and everyone did show improvement--which is the mark of a successful shoot. With so many talented instructors present, could we have expected anything less?
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

PHenry

Serbonze! Yikes! Never heard of that before. Glad it didn't hit while u were on the range! Get better soon sir and give my best to Ben.

It was another great event at the one the finest venues in the country. Talk about a well kept secret!

PH
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

SPQR

Wowza, glad you had fun!  Glad you got that little matter cleared up.  Did you hear that folks?  This fella was willing to risk a desperate case of peritonitis to complete his Appleseed experience!  We should all be so dedicated.
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

airplanejoe

Great event! Weather cooperated, attendees were highly motivated. I believe we had three generations present (not in the same family line). Great outlook for the future. Made some new friendships and saw a few old friends. What else can I ask for? Serbonze, get well soon.

DrJohn

Serbronze,

My commendation to you, sir, for your amazing persistence and your soon to be legendary tale of being in the "Rifleman's Bubble" despite a case of appendicitis and peritonitis. Capt. John Parker would be proud! And the instructors are honored by having such fine Patriots as you with whom to work. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

DrJohn
"It is an indispensable duty, my brethren, which we owe to God and our country, to rouse up and bestir ourselves, and, being animated with a noble zeal for the sacred cause of liberty, to defend our lives and fortunes, even to the shedding of the last drop of blood....

nukeofhazard

An excellent group of shooters make for an excellent event.  It truly was an honor and a privilege to work with each of you.  Serbronze, you certainly have grit.  With that being said, get well soon.  Our nation needs more men of your caliber.  I sincerely hope to see each of you at another event in the near future.

Ed "nukeofhazard"

MaineMan

Jeff is back on the mend.

The history lessons were very stimulating. I would like to share with you a tale of one of my ancestors taken from the "Genealogical and Family History of the State of Maine" compiled under the editorial supervision of George Little, A.M., Litt. D. 1909.

"Thomas Emmerton was baptized on July 1, 1744...He was in the ranks of the troops at Bunker Hill and there received several buckshot wounds. His own 'buck and ball' being exhausted, he cut two buckshot with their covering from his leg, and with a shout of 'one more shot' to his comrades, double loaded his musket and had another shot at the advancing redcoats now within the American breastworks. One more or a less glorious tradition is that in the retreat to the camp at Cambridge after 'wading over shoes in gore' he indulged is a panniken of rum and the heavy draught caused a troublesome hemorrhage from his wounds, and this incident called forth an order from the surgeons restricting the use of stimulants by the wounded."

Ben

airplanejoe

Wow!! You sure are surrounded by history. Its not the same reading about it as it is having close access to an area that honors our forefathers by recreating the events that defined that era. Huzzah!!!!!