News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Winter appleseeds & road conditions

Started by walrus, October 20, 2011, 05:23:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

walrus

Hi, I was interested in attending an appleseed at some point (been meaning to for a while now) hopefully sometime this winter. However, I'm a little worried about what winter is going to turn the roads around the ranges into. Looking at google maps all the planned denver-area appleseeds are "behind" several miles of dirt/private access roads, what are those going to look like after snow hits?

Colorado Pete

Unfortunately you can't tell until you get there. At least, if it's very cold there won't be mud under the snow, which can make for some interesting driving.

Most of the main county dirt roads will be pretty hard-packed with some gravel, which helps when the snow has been packed down by other cars. The more local roads (range entry roads etc.) can be awful. Four wheel drive, winter driving experience on dirt, and some intelligent and cautious judgement all help.

Even the paved highways can be nerve-wracking; one Appleseed I attended required about 20 miles of ice-covered pavement to be negotiated in my old 4wd Trooper. If I'd known how bad it was going to be I'd have stayed home, but I went slow and careful and got to the range in one piece.

Colorado winter road conditions should be approached with care. If you're really intent on showing up, call the county sheriff's office or the local state police barracks for conditions on specific roads before you leave. But, if some of us can get to the range, the shoot is a go.
"Good shooting is good execution of the fundamentals. Great shooting is great execution of the fundamentals. X's are what you want. Tens are okay, but nines indicate you've got a problem" - Jim Starr
"The purpose of shooting is hitting" - Jeff Cooper

azmule

Another option is to come on down to an Arizona "winterseed," where it's been known to get so chilly some mornings that you might even need a sweater.    >:D
Talk is cheap because the supply exceeds the demand.

Do or do not - there is no "try."'  -Yoda

Sidesaddle

Gunnison on the western slope would love to have you come to a winterseed-roads to get to us are always maintained and The Lost Canyon Range is very accessible.
Since we are the only Appleseed range one the this side of the world - I mean Colorado, we would also like to feel apart of the eastern slope Appleseed folks.

Please check our schedule and sign up and come to a real "Winterseed"!
"Either you think, or else others have to think for you and take power from you, pervert and discipline your natural tastes, civilize and sterilize you."     F. Scott Fitzgerald

Sidesaddle

I tend to think we are the only people on the Western slope of Colorado that care
about Appleseed -- could be do that we are sourrounded by trustfund babbies that
are against "guns". Because as we know, guns kill people????? Our society on this side of the world is "fill in the blank" because what I would like to say would be edited. 

Please give us any suppot you can - we would appreciate instructors filling up the

then their minds.
"Either you think, or else others have to think for you and take power from you, pervert and discipline your natural tastes, civilize and sterilize you."     F. Scott Fitzgerald