News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Corona, CA - Oct15-16 2011

Started by Mr Pete, October 17, 2011, 01:02:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Pete

Highlights:  3 new Rifleman, 1 Re-Qualify, 1 Orange Hat

Great bunch of shooters, great weather, great time!

Comments and pics to come later.  Please post your experiences
=========
Back to normal in Corona, CA

Beautiful weekend...the heatwave cooled down just in time to welcome 15 shooters to Raahauge's range in Corona.  Many were returning ROC holders and just as many were first time Appleseeders.

Walk-ons Josh and dad Greg were great.  They showed up without any prior info and we welcomed them on with rifles, mats and everything else.  We missed them on Sunday but we hope they will be back.

Rick and Heath are Corona regulars.  Heath had already shot Rifleman and requalified with almost every AQT he shot.  Rick was the model of persistence, consistantly in the low 200s with many of his Sunday AQTs...Keep at it Rick!

Will and Johnny were so tantalizingly close both in the 195 range at the end of Sunday.  I know they'll get it eventually as they were in great spirits even though they didn't get 210.  Ken and Kevin were improving until fatigue set in...but they never gave up.

John put all of his equipment (and patience) to the test.  Cadet sized bolt action the first day with one mag.  Another boltie the next.  Sure felt like Mutt and Jeff walking next to John who was 6 something and me at 5'2".  Any rifle would have been a difficult fit for him.  He always seemed to turn in great groups but off here and there.  Loose sights and all he persisted.  We saw such great improvement, never give up!

Evan and Glen were a great team and I hope they will be back.  Biscuit made sure to mention about the 5 father-son pairs on Lexington Green as we had so many pairs this weekend.

Returning ROC holders Will and Jerome acquitted themselves well and I'm glad they could make it even if it was Sunday only.  We had a great time playing and swaping around the 30 cals.  I think everybody liked the practical example of a "surprise break".  Make use of those ROCs guys!

Last but not least we have our Riflemen.  Steve was at the Corona210 and surprised by the size...this time was a little different.  From 150 to 15...but I don't think that threw him.  On Saturday he did very well missing a Rifleman's score by only a little.  On Sunday he was back in fine form eventually smackin' down a 227.  He immediately put down the rifle and started helping out on the line...I hear Orange hats are all the rage now-a-days <hint> <hint>.

Iian was a first timer who was very focused...even if he helped others put holes on paper.   ;)  At the end of the day he was pretty surprised that he hit a 211 as I had held on to his score most of the day.  He drove all the way up from San Diego for this and made the most of it.  I'm hope the San Diego crew sees more of Iian.

Third time is the charm for Mike who brought along his enthusiastic grandson Evon.  On Saturday's only AQT Mike busted out a 217!  He had been shooting well in the morning and I was glad that he shot his score.  He threatened all day that he would probably not show on Sunday if he got the score...well he did show up and took up the Orange Hat.  Congratulations Mike, I look forward to working with you in the future.

Two things I feel compelled to mention:
I often talk about the loss of community in modern times.  I joke about riots breaking out whether we win or lose sports games.  I point out that true community looks like an ideal Thanksgiving, working together and helping each other out. After being beaten on the, "anvil of the AQT (tm)", Kevin and Ken had to take off.  They wanted to shoot Redcoats before leaving but we were in the grind.  All of the other shooters unanimously offered to help them out by mixing up our Course of Fire (COF) to allow them the time they needed.

I had a truly touching moment with Evon late Saturday after the Benediction.  Rarely have I seen that much energy and I'm usually an Energizer Bunny.  You know it means something if Biscuit says, "Wow".  After awarding the Luther Blanchards, Evon came up to me and wanted to give his back.  He said that he already had one and he felt that I should keep the new one.  In my rush to clean up I said, "It's yours if you want it".  Evon replied, "This one should go to someone else so that it can remind them of their special day".  I was humbled and simply shook his hand.

As always, a weekend of Appleseed buoys my faith in others.  Only in America could I be so lucky to do what I do and meet such great people.

Thanks to all the shooters and especially Biscuit who IAO like crazy.

-Peter

ps.  As you can see from Redcoat stats we had immense improvement:

Sat AMSat PMSun AMSun PM
Bonus0252
Cleared0000
Bayonetted5221

"You will recognize your own path when you come upon it, because you will suddenly have all the energy and imagination you will ever need." – Jerry Gillies

Hughes500Pilot

I heard about the Appleseed Project on calguns.net.  I finally got a chance to sign up for one.  That was one month ago at the Corona 210.  I did not realize Corona 210 was going to be 150 shooters!!!  None the less, I had a great time.  I "learned how to shoot" even though I have been shooting for years.  I also learned a lot about our history - much of which I had never known before Appleseed.

But, try as I might, I did not quite get the Rifleman score that first weekend (best I did was 203).  So I just had to sign up and give it another try.  They taught me to persevere...  So I signed up for this months Appleseed.

Today our shoot boss was Mr. Pete.  What a great guy.  Not only did he do a great job instructing us, he also gave up his weekend for us.  And holy smokes - I can not believe how much stuff he can get packed into his small car!

I did another two full days of shooting.  By mid-day on Sunday, it was all starting to come together.  I earned my rifleman patch with a score of 227!

Thanks to Mr. Pete, Biscuit and all the other guys I shot with.  Also, a special thanks to everyone who works behind the scenes to make the Appleseed Project so special.

-Steve

Johnnyappleseed

Congratulations Steve on achieving the Rifleman score.

Welcome aboard and Thank You for the report,I enjoyed reading about the begining of your journey.

See you on the the trail  O0
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

gonejohnny

Quote from: Mr Pete on October 17, 2011, 01:02:47 AM
Highlights:  3 new Rifleman, 1 Re-Qualify, 1 Orange Hat

Excellent work! Where's the pics and the rest of the story!!! Congratulations, Steve - and the other two! - GoneJohnny

Mr Pete

Placeholder Replaced!  (check first post)

Biscuit's Pics:

-Peter
"You will recognize your own path when you come upon it, because you will suddenly have all the energy and imagination you will ever need." – Jerry Gillies

Mr Pete

BB

This was my first Appleseed event - not sure where I heard of it first online, but the program is spoken of highly and I'm a beginner who could use some experience, so I gave it a shot. There isn't one scheduled closer to me until December, so I sucked up some road time driving from San Diego and back. Well worth it though!

The shoot boss (Mr. Pete) and his assistants (Biscuit, and later, Mike and Steve) brought a lot to the table, and I learned a lot. I was definitely surprised when the target I turned in to see where I was at (I was hoping to break 200) turned out to be a 211 and I earned the patch!

I'll definitely look forward to the next opportunity to attend an Appleseed near me, and meet more interesting people and practice my skills some more. Thanks!

Mr Pete

BB and Hughes500,

It was the greatest of pleasures meeting you guys.  I really hope to see more of you.

BB, like I told you if you're going to one of the San Diego shoots, let me know.  I have yet to visit my brethren down there.  I know I ribbed you about John's target, but one of the San Diego Shoot Bosses (Justin) was at my first shoot where I decimated his beautiful AQT.   :-[

Hughes500, we'll be at Glen Helen this weekend under the nice covered line.  Give me a call if you want to attend.

-Peter