News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR - Manhattan 10/7-8

Started by kDan, October 09, 2011, 03:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kDan

O yeah.  Manhattan is coming together.  We've modified the program a little bit more.  It's a process.

The best thing in the world is happening at Manhattan...  Community, yes, community.  We are developing a community of shooters.  We actually have a new IIT from these events alone!  Thanks Evan, for stepping up and helping to solidify Westside as an Appleseed venue going forward.  NYC now has two full Shoot Boss Instructors, and two IIT's! (plus two more when pinched, and a third mia, but he'll be back)  While we love and appreciate the help, and we recognize what has been necessary and has been done by our Appleseed fellows, and we know it's there for the asking, we're inclined less and less to desperately need the Instructors on Long Island, or Upstate, or Connecticut (shout out to CaptMac!) to come over or down to help out.  After all, they need to find parking and this is a SubwaySEED!  We can and will be self sufficient.  We are the greatest city in the world and we can run an Appleseed!  All we needed was for someone to explain to us what is this rifle thing?  That done, and this said - all you guys are welcome, invited, encouraged to make it to Westside.  Rich, I had to write out the four safety rules on a white board again this week.  There's more words in there than you think!!!

Special Huge thanks to Westside Rifle and Pistol Range, to Darren, and Bion (sp?), and most especially John.  He stays late for us, and he puts up with me, the least organized organizer anybody ever rolled their eyes at.   

Sorry all I had was my iPhone so I couldn't play with depth of field and fish-eye perspectives but here are some photos (some) with witty captions:

TEAM WESTSIDE GO   (that's John in front)   :bow:

New IIT Evan just before he crushed me with his GIANT arm! omg

She brought me eggplants from her garden!  Nobody in Vermont ever did that.

The first girl - heck, anybody - I ever saw at AS with a mohawk!

A Minnesota girl finally finds people in NYC she can shoot with.  Maybe she'll stay for a while.

First time shooter.  Best groups of anybody - no joke!

What's that thing in your hand reaching around my neck?  You're making me nervous, Dan.

Originally we posted this at 500m.  Ended up that was Jersey!

Close quarters

You think this is bad; you should see the other guy!

A new father takes a second week-end crack at the Rifleman's score!  Ask your wife if she's familiar with the term "Appleseed Widow"?  Just kidding.  Don't.

"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

CaptMac

I was just talking this weekend with someone that might claim to be an Appleseed widow.  She lives in a nice home east of Hartford, a home where I know kDan has slept.  One of the topics of our conversation was about her coming to Manhattan and shopping, while her husband went to the Westside Range for an Appleseed. 

I was planning on being one of the others at the Appleseed, while she shopped, maybe with my "Riflewoman" of a wife. 

I expect that I will be making other trips on Metro-North to visit TEAM WESTSIDE!  I recognize a face or two from my prior trip there.  Nice crew forming in the Big Apple.
Ramseur Five Ten!!!

"Live Free or Die:  Death is not the Worst of Evils."  Genl.  John Stark, 1809.

R1SGx2

Nice work NYC,

Thank you Evan for stepping forward, Teameast New York Detachment still building.
"Eyes of the Warrior - Always open"
"What's the weather got to do with it, lets go."
"Appleseed, where good people come together to save a nation."

Josey Wales

..Great Job Dan, your efforts are endless!!..

..I should be there more, and regret missing it, thanks for all you do!!

..Strength & Honor................Josey Wales.................
..to hell with them fellows, buzzards gotta eat same as worms..

kDan

Quote from: CaptMac on October 09, 2011, 11:16:22 PM
One of the topics of our conversation was about her coming to Manhattan and shopping, while her husband went to the Westside Range for an Appleseed. 

Only one couple I can think of in CT that's ever allowed me near their house, and I only wish I had comparable accommodations to offer them here in the city.  I sleep on a futon and the dogs have run of the couches, plus they eat visitors in their sleep.  We've had two Instructors on the line while their wives strolled Fifth Ave, and they all left smiling.  I'm not sure what happened when the credit card statements came home though.  This conversation sounds like something from the sixties!  Women shooters to the line! 

I look forward to your next visit cap'n.  We might have to double team Vernic to get him down here though.  He's been promising and promising.  I keep threatening and threatening to let him Shoot Boss. 

Josey - I still have your honorary Westside membership card in my wallet.  Get down here brother!  Bronwyn has been asking about you.  Same with Darren.  7 train to the N or the R to 23rd st.  Don't drive this time.   :cool2:

R1 - thanks for the attention.  I'm not sure about more promotions for this event though.  You mentioned that in a pm.  We were even thinking about limiting the size from sixteen to 7 - more than that and the range can get a little stuffy.  Can't do that though - need the full line I'm afraid.  One shooter has already e-mailed me saying he's got 7 friends that want to come next time.  So, I guess we still need help from outside.  Our line fills up pretty good without generating too much more demand.  Love to have you down here too though.  Btw, Nassau wants a big deposit, but it's still on the radar.

Calling all Instuctors in the Northeast!  We need three of you for the next event.  Who wants to come down?  Cap'n - how bout we put your Rifleman wife  on the Instructor line while you stroll the Avenue and buy her a nice Christmas present.  Something you can carry home in your pocket perhaps?  Just a thought.  I remember her from SaraSpa last year - a woman of taste I suspect, but not too picky to shun the Orange Hat I believe we gave her.  She doesn't read this does she?   

"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

VietVet

Quote from: kDan on October 12, 2011, 11:02:58 AM

Calling all Instuctors in the Northeast!  We need three of you for the next event.  Who wants to come down?  Cap'n - how bout we put your Rifleman wife  on the Instructor line while you stroll the Avenue and buy her a nice Christmas present.  Something you can carry home in your pocket perhaps?  Just a thought.  I remember her from SaraSpa last year - a woman of taste I suspect, but not too picky to shun the Orange Hat I believe we gave her.  She doesn't read this does she?   

Dan, if you ever need help on that line , just call. 
                                    OUR
FOREFATHERS WOULD BE SHOOTING BY NOW!

kDan

Rich,

Aren't you busy taking over Wall Street?

:bomb:

-d-
"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

LittleMo

Great job, Dan! Congrats to the students, and congrats to Evan for accepting the Orange Hat!

Gary
Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional!  :)

Marksmanship can be taught and learned,
but the motivation has to be inspired for the
people to become involved.
How many have you inspired that became involved?

http://www.facebook.com/NYSAppleseed
http://www.facebook.com/ProjectAppleseedVermont