News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR, Kaysville, Utah, October 21-22, 2011

Started by rifleman2000, October 24, 2011, 02:57:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rifleman2000

What an Appleseed!

21 participants the first day (including 7 walk-ons),
18 the second day,
Six Riflemen (two the first day, four the second),
Three Luther Blanchard patches,
Three Orange Hats,
and One Green Hat!

And a backdrop to match: check out the fall foliage pics from Utah's Wasatch Mountains!

At least half the participants learned about Appleseed from the Self Reliance Expo two weeks previously. Many thanks to OneShotOneHole, ProneToKnit, and MountainManPrepper for all their help there. I'm certain there will be more payoff from it next spring.

The 21 participants literally filled the entire line. Two other shooters came too late, and we simply couldn't make room for them. They said they would definitely come to the next one.

Congratulations to morrisnk, Clint, Trent, Kim, James, and Brian on the Rifleman's patches (if I'm incorrect on James' name, please, anyone, help me on the name; I believe it was James who earned his Rifleman along with MorrisNK on the first day). And congratulations to Morrisnk, Trent, and Kim on the Orange hats. We're looking forward to growing the Utah program with your help! Several of these participants had been to previous Appleseeds and were able to put it all together at this one. Morrisnk earned his Rifleman patch the first day one the first attempt and immediately stepped up to help with line duties.

Instructors were Sharpeyedfirechild, morrisnk, buzz, lbsnake, and SlingUp. A special note of appreciation to V for coming out, helping out, and giving a green hat to Rifleman2000. I think all of the instructors are looking forward to seeing V again this winter for an IBC.

So the weather was perfect, albeit a bit cold before the sun broke over the mountains, and we enjoyed the shade of a newly constructed canopy at the Wahsatch Shooters Association Rifle Range. Unfortunately, since all the shooters couldn't fit under the canopy, we had to position the shooters in front of the canopy in the dirt/gravel. No one complained, not even those who had only cardboard for a shooting mat. The first day's instruction went well, although we got a bit behind. Despite that, we still slipped in two AQT's the first day, and got one rifleman each time.  Several shooters said they really appreciated the ball and dummy exercise. The instructors performed the Carding the Sights exercise and showed that some of the shooters were not obtaining their proper NPOA. History also went very well and completely filled the time. Didn't see anybody fall asleep either!

A huge thanks to all the instructors and to the students for their patience even though their was a large crowd. I've attached some pics below.

IC2(SS)19Z50C5

BRAVO ZULU to all who attended this event. Great weather, great fall colors, and many great pictures. One of your participants who earned his patch on Saturday gave "top hole" marks for this event. He posted his comments on this shooting forum.
http://m14forum.com/

"Hits Count"
Life Member of:
NRA, WSR&P Assc, MMA, USSVI, VFW, EANGUS & V.H.A.
Member of AL, Associate Member of U.S.SubVets of WWII,
Tin Can Sailors.org, and an Associate member of the 4th ID Association

rifleman2000

Here are the comments from the above referenced forum:

I attended my first Appleseed event today in Kaysville Utah. What a great time! I only signed up for one day so the pressure was on to score a Rifleman patch. I did it!!! Scored a 213. I was shooting a bone stock ar15 with carbine length sights. The gritty factory trigger added to the challenge. The event was well organized. All of us who attended received some high quality instruction. In my opinion it is the best money you will ever spend on training. More importantly you will get some great history lessons about the foundation of this country and the tradition of the American Rifleman.

Met two other forum members while attending the event. Hats off to lbsnake925! He is an instructor and history teacher. He is a fantastic guy who really has a passion for restoring honor and tradition to this country. I also met stickman. He was shooting right next to me the whole match. He shot the course with a beautiful match grade M1A. He shot some amazing groups with that thing.

I encourage everyone to attend an Appleseed and bring a friend or family member. You really do not have any skill or training with a rifle. Just bring an open mind and you will have a great time!

Johnnyappleseed

Utah---men and women who truly know what they are about  O0
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

morrisnk

Great appleseed everyone.  Congratulations to the new Riflemen and Riflewoman.  Way to go Dave on the Green Hat.  I truly had a great time, as did my wife.

I've attached a few more choice pictures for your entertainment.

Thanks again,

Nate

Prone to Knit

At least half from the Self Reliance Expo?  Excellent!!! I hope that exposure continues to give great benefits to Utah. I'm so excited for you.

Dave, congratulations on that green hat and stepping up to be a leader in Utah.

Nate, I knew you could do it. We saw you really grow in confidence at the Expo.  Great job officially taking the orange hat.

lbsnake, it was great getting to know you at the Expo. Your story telling is tops. Your excitement shows. I'll never forget your story told to the little girls of hunting potatoes. What a riot!

Hi, buzz!

Congratulations to the new riflemen and the other new orange hats, Trent and Kim.  The Utah family is growing. You're going to love being involved with Appleseed.  Welcome to the team!

Kim
Prone to Knit
"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - George Orwell
That's why I knit for our troops.
http://coversandsoles.org

snake925

Liberty's hope. Great job team. We'll make it even better next time.  The shoot was not without a little drama...

A classic SNAFU was when I added my rifle to the line late in the day on day 2 to shoot HP AQT with my M1A.  I called out a target number and Kim was in her bubble and probably didn't hear me. I started shooting what I thought was my target. On stage 3 Kim yells at me, "you are shooting my target!"  Sure enough her target was full of .30 cal. Never did count my score...not a big deal except Kim was working on her Rifleman qual!!!! She was so cool on the line I thought she was on Orange Hat just shooting to shoot that weekend like I wanted to.  I'm kind of dense sometimes.  I didn't know that Kim wanted the OH badly and was trying to qualify.  After I apologized emphatically. 

Thank the LORD for me, Kim took her last 40 bullets, regrouped  and shot a Rifleman on the next AQT.  That is persistence and flexibility under stress. Before she got the RM patch she was understandably upset but gracious and forgiving. Kim will make a great addition to the Nothern UT Instructor team.

What a weekend. Seeing the word spread and people coming together to teach, be taught, and think about our American heritage is awesome.

snake925

Congratulations to Utah's new Riflemen.  V - you da man. We love you.  It is scary thinking we may do the next one without you. But  we need to do it.  I'm sure we can.  Dave, a special thanks to you for sacrificing so much to keep AS going in UT and earning you Green hat. UT may be a little slow starting up, but when you get a committment, it will be solid and something you can bank on. Can't speak for Nate, Kim, or Trent, but I think they would agree that we do what we can to help share the burden. Thanks to Chelsea Sharpeyfirechild? She is the best and we hope she will be with us as long as possbible.  Steve Buzz, another great instructor and a great addition to any team. Let's make next year even better.

MtnManPrepper

Congratulations to the Utah crew and new Riflemen! It was a pleasure meeting all of you at the Expo this month. Having a "Sold Out" Appleseed in Kaysville is fantastic news! Way to go with the green hat Dave. The results are showing from your persistence and desire to expand the Utah program...  With enthusiasm from the new Riflemen and new instructors joining the team, the sky's the limit... I'm looking forward to reading your next AAR.

MtnManPrepper
"In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot."
~Mark Twain