News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Piru Ca October 15-16, 2011

Started by Dano, October 17, 2011, 01:44:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dano

Another fine day for an Appleseed in Piru; the weather was not as hot as usual with Saturday at about 85 °, Sunday it was the same.  We had 9 shooters on Saturday and 8 on Sunday. It was a fast paced weekend and the students did well. We made 1 Rifleman on Saturday with Cameron shooting a 236, and he cleared the 400 yard slow fire! Well done Cameron! On Sunday Mo shot a 223.  Both Mo and Cameron took orange hats and will be assets to the team.

We had folks from as far away as San Diego join us for the shoot, thanks to Alex, Brian and Anne for coming out. Brian and Alex shot .308 bolt guns very effectively. We also had Frank who shot a 206 and is not far away from making that rifleman's score! Denis, Joanne and Tim also were there on Saturday doing very well. Tim will have a score soon and showed great improvement. The most improved of the weekend was Mr. Colby, Colby was shooting solid 180's and 190's. It won't be long before he gets his patch.

Special Thanks to Cowgirl Ducky for helping out Saturday and Sunday, Thanks also to Gratefuldog, Gone Johnny, Koolaide and Cameron who took an orange hat on Saturday and helped to teach on Sunday. You all made it a great weekend and helped to renew my faith in this great program and what it is doing for America.

Dano

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

'No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is as formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.'- Ronald Reagan

Dano

more pics
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

'No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is as formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.'- Ronald Reagan

gonejohnny

Although I had to miss Saturday, thank you to all the fine fellow Americans for making such a wonderful Sunday in Piru.

Joy was the definition of perseverance. With a cast on a broken foot, she still shot prone most every COF offered throughout the day on Sunday. A big thank you to all of the other inspired shooters for helping to go down range and document her (eventually) 6-MOA groups for her.

CONGRATULATIONS TO MO!!! Orange definitely suits you for the time being (so does a score of 223 being your new benchmark)! 

I think Colby needs a nickname that has something to do with "Sitting _____". Although I missed Saturday, I hear there was some instruction going on that ended up with an astoundingly rock-solid cross-legged position by Sunday morning. Not sure what happened, but I didn't see the rumored Piru cattle prod anywhere - must have been some great instruction to a very open mind. Apparently there's something to be said for being 15 and limber (or maybe for never growing old...)

Robert showed up Sunday only and was  blasted with more information than I think he thought himself in for... With groups ever improving, we hope to see you again very, very soon.

Cameron is a true inspiration. Not only did he shoot his score for his well deserved patch on Saturday and immediately swoop up that Orange Hat,  but he came back on Sunday with a NEW SHOOTER!!! He even let some of the instructors takes a few turns Sunday on his fully adjustable space age turbo Buck Rodgers target gun. Thank you, thank you!

Not getting a chance to get down on the right all that much, I hear things were great on that end too. A tie on the two sides of the line for the 2X4 cutting competition only shows the great improvement made by all the shooters!

Thank you to everyone that showed this weekend! An even bigger thank you to Dano, Ducky and Gratefuldog for letting me hang out. Appleseed is just awesome.

- GoneJohnny

Mo79

My third Appleseed already, and I still went home with better shooting fundamentals, and a better understanding of American history.
One of the many lessons I learned in this even was to follow the 6 steps before firing a shot without spending too much time doing so. Just because you have 5 minutes to shoot stage 4 doesn't mean you need to use them all. Dano pointed this out to me, and in order to enforce it he had us do a rapid fire AQT, and man did that help! My stage 4 score went up to 90, my highest ever for that stage. Thank you so much Dano for your great teaching and attention.
I was very happy to score Rifleman, and I gave the worst reception speech ever after I received the patches (hey I wasn't expecting it and I'm not smart  :P ), but I'll forever be in debt to the instructors and voluneers who taught me how to shoot.
I've always admired Appleseed instructors and orange hats for teaching this beautiful sport and tradition and history, and I wanted to become one to help spread the knowledge, so I'm honored to join this wonderful group of people as an orange hat.
Thank you again Dano, Cowgirl and GoneJohny, and the volunteers who showed up on Sunday Kollaide and Gratefuldog, and I hope to see you soon at a SoCal Appleseed event.

Johnnyappleseed

MO79
Your post exibits something we cannot teach .
The heart of a Rifleman O0

Welcome aboard and looking forward to seeing you on the trail.

Great shoot Caifornia!
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

greenlantern

(Cameron)
Thanks Guys,
   I Hope to be a Big part of the Appleseed Project, i have all ways regretted not giving as much attention to my teachers wile in school and now I am trying to make up for what I missed, I am also trying to learn what i can and help others along the way.

@gonejohnny
keep in mind that rifle is also 35 years old its an Anschutz 1607 in a newer rifle stock , lol its older than i am and still shoots crazy accurate.

Here are the 2 pictures from my camera

First my patch

and Then i Got the hat

Videos of the 2x4 shoot
http://s234.photobucket.com/albums/ee247/Drifter_75/Apple%20Seed%20Oct%202011/?action=view&current=DSCN0196.mp4

PLussssss the coolest Dog ever i seen him on the way home

Also I will not be able to make the Nov 5th shoot as it falls on the same weekend as an NRA Competition I might be able to swing sunday on my way back from LA Im not sure as of yet.

Scott1600

Looks like a great shoot!  -Sorry I missed it!  Mo- Congrats, I knew you would make it, welcome aboard, there's plenty of buckets for everyone!  Just wanted to be there when you shot RM.  Cameron, welcome aboard, too!  Hope to see you all out on the trail sometime soon.
-Scott
"Objects of the most stupendous magnitude, and measure in which the lives and liberties of millions yet unborn are intimately interested, are now before us. We are in the very midst of a revolution the most complete, unexpected and remarkable of any in the history of nations." -John Adams, July 3, 1776.

gonejohnny

Dano

Wow Cool video thanks Greenlantern!!!

Mr Pete

Mo,

There was never a doubt in my mind!  The news was so good I got it while I was still at the Corona shoot...Johnny texted me!  There are simply too many great things going on at once...wish I could have been there to see you get the Patch and the Hat! 

Well at least I get more chances to see you on the trail now.

Congrats,
-Peter
"You will recognize your own path when you come upon it, because you will suddenly have all the energy and imagination you will ever need." – Jerry Gillies

Mo79

Quote from: Johnnyappleseed on October 17, 2011, 09:45:09 PM
MO79
Your post exibits something we cannot teach .
The heart of a Rifleman O0

Welcome aboard and looking forward to seeing you on the trail.

Great shoot Caifornia!

Thank you Johnnyappleseed! I hope to meet you one day.

Quote from: Scott1600 on October 18, 2011, 12:29:32 PM
Looks like a great shoot!  -Sorry I missed it!  Mo- Congrats, I knew you would make it, welcome aboard, there's plenty of buckets for everyone!  Just wanted to be there when you shot RM.  Cameron, welcome aboard, too!  Hope to see you all out on the trail sometime soon.
-Scott

Thanks Scott, I really learned a lot from you. Looking forward to joining you at a local event.

Quote from: Mr Pete on October 19, 2011, 05:01:34 AM
Mo,

There was never a doubt in my mind!  The news was so good I got it while I was still at the Corona shoot...Johnny texted me!  There are simply too many great things going on at once...wish I could have been there to see you get the Patch and the Hat! 

Well at least I get more chances to see you on the trail now.

Congrats,
-Peter

Thanks Pete, glad to know you were having fun at the Corona shoot, I saw on the other thread  how well people did in that shoot. What a nice guy Johnny is, soo helpful, he gave me a good plan to shoot the rapid fire AQT, and I only had 2 mags so he was prepping my mags while I was shooting (thanks a lot Johnny). I learned a lot from you Pete and Dano, and I'm looking forward to learning more at the upcoming events, except now I'll be wearing a cool orange hat while doing so  8)