News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

UPDATE: GOOD NEWS! (Formerly Bad News with the Las Cruces Butterfield Range)

Started by TaosGlock, October 18, 2011, 06:18:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TaosGlock

It is good news now! See post#5! O0

The Butterfield Range run by the Las Cruces recreation department has decided in it's infinite wisdom that only one "shooting school" can use the range at any one day/weekend. It used to be that any group or "shooting schools" were ok, simply as long as the bays being reserved, were not already taken. Don't matter if you charge your student/shooters or not. "Many groups are simply "range pirates" and do not register with the city to avoid the $100 day fee.
No more. >:(
So if Joe's Tacticool School is using the pistol bays for QCB , we can't even use the KD rifle bay since the one school rule is now rule.
Rule was passed a few weeks ago. It is actually a policy, not law, and appears to be vague and loosely written as to interpreted by whoever.

My bad for not setting up the shoots sooner. :slap:
But whoda thunk this would come up. #) %)

Here is the scoop so far.
I have had two meetings with the city recreation department reminding them:
Of our impeccable safety record here and abroad.
That more folks need to be taught firearms safety. (I know we do rifles, but the generic term sounds more appealing.)
Of our higher than NRA standards required of our instructors, to do RSO, etc.
Of our great insurance policy.
Of our 4 year standing relationship with them.
Of the $200 in range fees for the weekend we give them come Monday morning as the city charges all "schools" $100/day.
Of the fact city officials and politicos shoot free.

It is ok for JQ Publik to shoot despite the fact they are oblivious to even the rudiments of any safety rules and try to shoot themselves at every opportunity.

I have a meeting with the actual policy maker in person,  but for now it looks grim.
I do not know if the policy is based on the "range pirates" or a perceived safety issue.
Sooo....

We have a gun show this weekend. I will be pimping all the shoots listed in our state. If you have any fall shoots or shoots early in 2012 in the pipeline not officially listed LMK so I can add it to the schedule on our poster at the gun show.

In the meantime I will check other ranges. This will be added impetus to move on that.
Also our Deming range was shut down due to border complications.
89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

oladcock

Take it to the city council and Mayor if you don't get satisfaction from the Rec Dept. Need us at a city council meeting? Ask Ruidoso's Mayor how well that goes? :)....O.L.
"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato 400BC

President Roswell Gun Club
AQT 246
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
IBC 2018
KD Ft. Bliss Tx. 214  2019
IBC 2021

Roswell, NM
Carlsbad NM
El Paso Tx
Lubbock Tx
New Deal Tx
Levelland Tx
Alamogordo NM
Alburquerque NM
41 Lead Farm Tx

colycat

Don't give up.  A Rifleman never does.  Keep going at them and they will bend, or break.

You should see the letters I have gotten when trying to get ranges back a few years ago ++)
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

TaosGlock

Thanks OL!  And Coly!  Our mayor here likely wrote the new policy, but I will forge on. :---

BTW, the news of Ruidoso spread near and far. (paul revere riding fast smiley)
Next time I ask at an Appleseed "how many could muster 1000 folks in a few hours?",  I will think of you guys!
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.

oladcock

That was a fun day! A Republic at work, not a democracy! :) If the Mayor wrote the policy, get the council involved, possibly they can/will over ride him. We're lucky, we've got a gun totin Baptist preacher city councilman who's attended 2 seeds! :)...O.L.

Quote from: TaosGlock on October 18, 2011, 08:06:08 PM
Thanks OL!  And Coly!  Our mayor here likely wrote the new policy, but I will forge on. :---

BTW, the news of Ruidoso spread near and far. (paul revere riding fast smiley)
Next time I ask at an Appleseed "how many could muster 1000 folks in a few hours?",  I will think of you guys!
"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato 400BC

President Roswell Gun Club
AQT 246
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
IBC 2018
KD Ft. Bliss Tx. 214  2019
IBC 2021

Roswell, NM
Carlsbad NM
El Paso Tx
Lubbock Tx
New Deal Tx
Levelland Tx
Alamogordo NM
Alburquerque NM
41 Lead Farm Tx

TaosGlock

UPDATE Good News!
We found a private range (DAR) near Columbus, NM just minutes from Poncho Villa State Park, only 5 miles from zee border. @&)
A 25M-300M range! One of our IIT's, Dwayne and his wife (who has shot with us twice) said we can use their property!
Their few hundred acres borders thousands of acres of roadless NM BLM so we have safe backstops! :---
Stay tuned for more details as I work out dates for 3 more shoots! ..:..
Thanks Dwayne!

BTW, I will keep working on the Butterfield Range issues too!
So now lets fill those lines! And sign up early if you want to instruct!

TaosGlock

Here are the dates for the Columbus, NM shoots:
Nov.12-13
Dec. 3-4 Ladyseed
Dec 17-18
I will get then officially listed with directions, etc. ASAP!

Jerry Hall

Howdy All,

Dan, Keep me posted as I am probably as close as ya'll to Columbus.
Sounds promising to me, will advertise around this area too!

Jerry
"The significant problems we face today cannot be solved with the same level of thinking that we were at when we created them. Albert Einstein."

"One Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

TaosGlock

Sir Not Appearing In This Film

Ladyseed Man Slave

"In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

Attitudes are contagious. I hope mine is worth catching.