News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

appleseed affiliated jr high caliber markmanship team

Started by AZstopwatch, October 03, 2011, 09:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZstopwatch

let me start of with saying that while i am not an orange hat yet, i am in applecore.
so, i was sitting around at my table 2 days from an appleseed in the middle of March 2011, and i thought, hmmm... i wonder...... would a higher caliber shooting team based off juniors that have attended/attended appleseeds that go out and shoot matches using the skills that appleseed has taught and more or less advertise appleseed as a good way to learn good shooting skills be a good idea? I typed a little flyer that goes inside of the packets of information that are handed out at each appleseed event, but that didn't work. I more or less gave up but when i went to the buckeye,Arizona Oct.1-2 appleseed I saw a few kids and when i asked them,keeping in mind that i am 12 years old, said yes.we are planning to get together sometime and star practicing monthly. one of them was about 15 years old and the other 11 or so.

questions, comments, flames?
I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country.
Nathan Hale, before being hanged by the British, September 22, 1776

"One if by land two if by sea."
Paul Revere, on his Midnight Ride, 1775

AZstopwatch

nevermind. while i encourage minors in the community to create teams like this, i have heard that the boys that were interested are not interested anymore. it teaches long range fundamentals to kids. more than appleseed teaches. it teaches how to zero a, using a politically correct term just so i don't get in a fight, firearm to distances past 25 m/yd.

CaptMac

Never mind?  Why never mind?  You had an idea, what seems to be a good idea to me.  So, maybe this time the others are not interested.  Do not just dismiss the idea and lose all hope.  A Rifleman persists! 

I know of at least one teenager hoping to start a rifle club at his school.  He is clear across the country, but we are working on planning events just for his school. 

It may take you a long time, even years.  But, keep the idea alive.  I like it. 
Ramseur Five Ten!!!

"Live Free or Die:  Death is not the Worst of Evils."  Genl.  John Stark, 1809.

jmdavis

Look at smallbore, Rimfire sporter and Air rifle at odcmp.com (http://www.odcmp.com/Competitions/Rimfire.htm). These programs exist. I will say that some of the best shooters that I have met came from the smallbore community. They tend to excel in whatever form of shooting they later become involved with.

Air rifle is shot at 10 meters and the X ring is smaller than the pellet. Follow through is critical. Smallbore is often shot at 50 feet indoors. Rimfire sporter is shot at 25 yards and 50 yards. International Smallbore is shot at 50m.

In the meantime, do your best and learn what you can. Find a coach who can help you. They are out there. Read through what other groups are doing (4H, NRA, CMP). Find people who are also interested in competitive shooting. In short, "Just do it!"

Mike Davis
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

AZstopwatch

thanks for the engouragement and help guys.i just kinda felt down about the whole thing.

DBoller

I'm 12 and shoot highpower, and I think thats a great idea :). We need more Juniors in highpower and other disciplines that actually know how to shoot. So keep on going, cause a I know kids who would like to shoot well but don't have anyone to teach them, or they shoot well but not to their full potential. So keep it up ;D