News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Gainesville, FL Oct 1-2, 2011

Started by 9mm4545, October 03, 2011, 11:17:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

9mm4545

Wow! What a great shoot we had on the first cool weekend of October! On Saturday we had 13 patriots join together at the Gainesville Target Range to drink from the fire hose of marksmanship and to learn the message contained in the story of our nation's beginnings. There was a definite chill in the air--well, a chill by Florida standards--that made comparison to a certain cool morning in the New England spring 236 years ago so appropriate. After the introduction and safety rule instructions, we got right down to trying our modern "muskets" against the Redcoat target. I won't mention what the results were, I'll just say that there was room for improvement. After instructions on sling use and the Golden Triad of Marksmanship (solid position, 6-steps, and NPOA), the groups began to shrink dramatically and it was starting to become apparent that we had some contenders in the crowd. New concepts and methods were absorbed and the pace never slowed. By lunchtime, we were all ready for a communal meal while Eric took us back to April 19th, 1775 and brought the events of that fateful day to life.

During the afternoon the brisk pace continued as we learned and practiced standing and sitting positions, transitions, magazine changes and began our preparation for the fabled AQT. During a short break Bruce then took everyone from Lexington to Concord with the colonists and the Regulars during the telling of the Second Strike of the Match. Now it came to crunch time: the AQT...and then another! By the end of day one, we had one new Rifleman among us. Congratulations to Bill are in order. The good news is that you shot the score with a 210; the bad news is that your Rifleman Opportunity Card expired--and you got baptized in the water under the North Bridge. It was actually water from a cold water bottle but I think you get the idea. Ah, how refreshing! Finally, our shooters got to hear "the rest of the story" as the Third Strike of the Match lit the war for America's independence. It was a great day.

Because a number of shooters had signed up for Saturday only, Sunday morning saw as many instructors as there were shooters. Needless to say, one on one instruction was the order of the day and the results showed either great students, great instruction, or both as the targets truthfully talked. Besides a quick review of previously presented information, we dove into fiendishly challenging drills such as the 5 magazine/5 shot drill and the 1 shot timed transition drills. But these were serious shooters and they came for the challenge of the AQT, so AQT's is what they got--lots of them. With only a brief "friendly competition" to break up the afternoon AQT grind, we burned through some 8 or 9 AQT's by the end of a long day. But what is more important is the fact that out of 5 shooters on Sunday, three of them joined the ranks of "men who know very well what they are about"--and became Riflemen. Ed, you sneaked out of the cookhouse and into the Rifleman corps with a completely satisfactory 210 earning you a handsome patch and a dousing with some extra cold North Bridge water. Doug, you made that tube fed rifle really sing and earned a well deserved Rifleman accolade by shooting 218 on the AQT. And finally, Tyler showed us how it is done with several qualifying AQT's including his best, a solid 223. Congratulations to all of our new Riflemen. I can't help but mention that we had several others that came close and it is just a matter of more time and more practice until it all comes together. I can speak for all my fellow instructors in saying that it was a pleasure and an honor to work with every student on the line. Thanks for coming out.
For some photos, go here: http://s1125.photobucket.com/albums/l592/bruce_smith1/Appleseed%20Gainesville/
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

Ceddie

It was a humbling weekend.
I can't thank you guys enough for taking the time to come out and spread the knowledge around.
I look forward to seeing you soon!

Ceddie

Quote from: Ceddie on October 04, 2011, 12:38:25 PM
It was a humbling weekend.
I can't thank you guys enough for taking the time to come out and spread the knowledge around.
I look forward to seeing you soon!

BTW, I'm Ed

C.Eddie
Ceddie

do.yates

Congratulations to the other three rifleman from this weekend.   And to my son who just missed, keep up the great work.  I would be secure having you next to me on any firing line.   I am proud of you Jacob.  At least you did not have to walk home for outshooting dad!

I too want to thank all the "drill sargeants" for being so patient and helpful in the training they presented.  I could not have done it without your valuable coaching.  I can't say when I have had that much fun.  "Quickly, QUICKLY!"  And the bonus was to make Rifleman (no one liked my cooking anyway). 

I echo the humbling feeling since I walked into this "knowing I could ace this; no problem!"  WOW was I surprised!  It was a memorable time to spend with my son too.  Look forward to bringing the rest of the family to a future event. 

Many men at my company interested so if I can find an acceptable site, I may try to organize one for us.

And last of all, if you ever get a chance to shoot an M1 Garand, take it.  That was awesome!!!  I can't imagine having to carry that monster into a conflict instead of a modern firearm.  But thank you to all the past Patriots that did just that to keep this great country here for me.  I hope I can repay them by doing the same for future generations.

Doug
Proud USCCA & NRA member
Christian/Conservative/Constitutionalist/Capitalist
Sheepdog
Cook   Rifleman

9mm4545

"Build it, and they will come..." If you can find a range with at least 25 meters (82 feet), a safe backstop, and neighbors who don't mind rifle fire, we will make an Appleseed happen. If such a location does show up, let me know and I'll get a host application to the range owner and answer whatever questions come up. If needed by the range owner, Appleseed can arrange to include the range as a "named insured" on Appleseed's insurance. Now, in the meantime, we have an event in St. Augustine this very weekend so come out and bring some friends and we'll do our absolute best to make Riflemen out of them. Glad you had a good time because I sure did...
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

mattra

So where are the pics? I'm dying to see them, especially the ones where the luck was being washed off ;) .  I had a great time as well, it would have been nice to have more shooters on the line for Sunday, but the ones that were there were great.

Doug, you got to shoot an M1 - now you need to go get yourself one. The first time I took mine apart I was amazed at the genius of John C. Garand. Just put it into context when that rifle was designed and when it was fielded and the other contemporary rifles of its time and your appreciation for it will grow even more. The M14, a direct descendant of the M1, is still being fielded by our troops in Iraq and Afghanistan to great effect, but you are right - they are heavier than the standard AR. Which would you rather have if you were shooting at someone 500 meters away :) ?

9mm4545

Pics? Just click on the link in the first posting in this AAR. That should take you to photobucket where the photos reside.

mattra

In my exuberance I just scrolled through without really paying attention - sorry about that :)