News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Building a gun for adaptive. have questions.

Started by nemohunter, May 12, 2011, 07:54:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nemohunter

the gun is built but the young gent we built it for can not pull the trigger. his hand strength is such that he uses 3 fingers to run the thing. the big question i have is this. we can simply make a longer trigger and he will be able to run it fine due to additional leverage. the thing is it will be outside the trigger guard. is this a safety issue with AS policy? i cant seem to see where this would be a problem but i'm just a stupid orange hat LOL. what the scoop?
PLEASE DON'T STROKE THE EGO.

Unbridled Liberty

nemohunter,

What rifle is this for?

I would be leery of a trigger extending outside the guard.

What does the trigger pull measure?  Is it possible to do a trigger job to lighten the pull?

Can the stock be modified to create a pistol grip to give him enough leverage to squeeze (like a pliers) with one finger?

Can you make your extended trigger and then fabricate a new guard to enclose it?

I once modded a crossbow trigger for a young shooter.  I designed a bolt-on trigger extension which required removing the original trigger guard and fabricating a new guard out of 1/8" x 3/4" aluminum.  He used three fingers and it worked great.  I no longer have the crossbow and I'm not having any luck finding pictures that I know I have somewhere.

For Liberty, each Freeman Strives
As its a Gift of God
And for it willing yield their Lives
And Seal it with their Blood

Thrice happy they who thus resign
Into the peacefull Grave
Much better there, in Death Confin'd
Than a Surviving Slave

This Motto may adorn their Tombs,
(Let tyrants come and view)
"We rather seek these silent Rooms
Than live as Slaves to You"

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

nemohunter

trigger job is done 2.5# AR grip is mounted on a standard stock thats been customized. it's on a 10/22. Zack has MD and is fixed to a wheel chair. while it is possible for the guard to be fabbed it is gonna take time and $ i have 2 weeks and his folks dont have a lot of $ other wise i would just go for a kidd trigger that 6 oz i know he could run that but they are $300. i'm thinking a paint ball gun type guard with a long trigger as a permanent fix i just need more time as 2 weeks aint gonna cut it with my current schedule.

douglas34474

Nemo, anything I can help you with?

Using a stock Ruger trigger group? What did you have in mind as a modification?

Doug

mtmisfit

Because this is on a semi-auto my opinion is there needs to be a trigger guard. Lots of potential for an AD with an unprotected trigger.

Then again the winter triggers for an M1 are outside the trigger guard. The trigger guard on an AR-15 pivots out of the way to allow access to the trigger while wearing mittens. Those features were designed around someone with the strength to maintain control of the rifle.

It could work but would require great vigilance in the instructor assigned to the shooter.
"Count it the greatest sin to prefer life to honor, and for the sake of living to lose what makes life worth having."

"Lo Que Sea, Cuando Sea, Donde Sea"

".. You MUST learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself..."

"central planning cannot work because it is trying to substitute an individual all-knowing intelligence for a distributed and fragmented system of localized but connected knowledge."

"Process and Procedure are the last hiding place of people without the wit and wisdom to do their job properly."

nemohunter

Here are a few pics of Zack. You wanna talk about spirit this lad has got it. he banged away with everybody else on the grind. even went in full tilt on the run and gun LOL. A BIG thanks to Longshot and Thors Hammer for Building the gun mount for his power chair. the custom rifle was done by myself. short stock, AR grip special extended trigger with 14 oz pull painted hot rod red (Zacks favorite color).

Oh yeah forgot to mention he also banged out a 225 earning him that nice green patch we give out form time to time.

Here he is with the entire crew. We all had a great time.

Unbridled Liberty

BRAVO ZULU TO YOU AND YOUR CREW!  And congratulations to Zack!
As its a Gift of God

Into the peacefull Grave
Than a Surviving Slave

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

nemohunter

We built Zack a centerfire this year and here we go.

well it has been a long row to hoe. when i presented Zack with his rifle no matter what we tried he could not get behind the scope. (neck is fused) so back to the drawing board. custom picatinny base with 20 degree cant manufactured and installed off set the scope 1/2" inboard and raised it up about 3/8" prefect for him now. i did not get a chance to see him shoot it but he did shoot a 216 on the AQT and even took it over to distance and banged on some 400 yd steel. he is READY for hunting for sure. if we can get him a decent place here in MO it will be deer this year if not he will have an antelope hunt next year in the bag.

Those are some of the fine Appleseed instructors helping him out. Once again thanks to all who gave you quite simply made this the best moment in his life.

Unbridled Liberty

Adapt!  Persevere!  Overcome!  Excellent work by you and your instructors!  Way to help make it happen for this young man.
As its a Gift of God

Into the peacefull Grave
Than a Surviving Slave