News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Gibsonburg , OH Oct 22-23 2011

Started by posterboy, October 24, 2011, 01:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

posterboy

What a marvelous weekend in The Great Black Swamp !

The fair skies of October created an excellent back drop for the final shoot of the year at G'burg. Always sad but more often that not the best is always saved for the last this weekend not being an exception ! . It is always a little sad to have a season end at a range but as I looked back and looked how many shooters came and learned Heritage and Marksmanship it put it all in perspective. Equally impressive was the pure progress the instructors corps made this year too !  The next year at G'Burg is going to be a good one with all the local quality instructors that are blossoming in the Black Swamp !

I have to personally Thank Louie whom  I met at gun show 7th stepping. Louie promised me he would come to an appleseed and indeed he did last month . He then promised me he would bring his Boy scouts back with this month and a man of his word he did !. IT was awesome to have a group of posterity on the line !! We also had WhiteKnight bring his ENTIRE family this time as wel instead of piece meal !!!!!!! Saturday chugged right along with all the usual appleseed flair and groups improved and light bulbs flickered on one by one. By the last redcoat after an AQT I can safely say that the marksmanship improved about 100 % from the frosty morning. I can also say that it was a huge honor for me to hand Blindman his Red  Hat. See Blindman was the one originally responsible for bending the fabulous SCSC ear about hosting appleseed some 4 years ago ! AND not only that he took the 7th step seriously a year or so ago and for better or for worse got himself elected to the city council in his town ! Imagine that a rifleman on the city council ! sounds like just the cure for what ails us all ! Congrats Mike and it was an awesome way to to end the day ( and thanks Gordon for reminding me to do so lol..man sometimes I forget what day it is too !  #) )

Sunday greeted the group with some additional shooters who came to shoot rifleman ! We had our morning fun and then after lunch we went to shoot the real thing at 500 yrds. A group of enthusiastic seeders descended upon the 1/4 mile line and proceeded to see that shooting at steel at that distance is really not that much different than 25m Huzzah. Steel began clanging and smiles grew as shooters discovered firsthand the power of marksmanship fundamentals  :--- :--- :---
That being said if you happened to be a ground hog who happened to be on the range with a group of shooters who had attended 1 and 1/2 days of appleseed with M1's , M14's and alot or AR's  you could say that you had really, really bad timing  >:D may he rest in peace at 400 yrds.

After the confidence boost of the 1/4 mile line we returned to the AQT's and pounded some rifleman Huzzah ! Congrat s new riflemen: Buce... yeah you got wet but you did score a 210 FIRST, Chris ! good job ( make sure you tell Meanstreaker it was all because of me  ::) ) and Russ !!! Repeaters..louie ( again again again again agaian.you get the idea)and  Richard who wanted to do it centerfire this time !

Of course being close to Halloween and all....we had to turn back the horde of zombie pumpkins of King George, Gage, Smith , Percy and Pitcairn. Highly specialized teams were assembled at moments notice to "carve" the zombies. Total destruction of the zombie pumpkins was cause for immediate disqualification in this game. Obviously it was a hard temptation to resist which a couple teams fell for  :~ the winner was team Ohms...the actually did a a pretty good job putting a new face on their zombie ...congrats !

Last but not least ..working hard one last time whilst I gave the benediction at the end of the day MO'Gun ( badeleve's daughter) FINALLY with the rifle whispering of Twostage trigger shot Rilfeman... with a bolt to boot ! HUZZZZAHH And is now Ohio's newest Jr. IIT thanks for taking the orange hat and I look forward to working together on the trail !

Thanks to everyone  ( especially Lisa ) and the SCSC for making a successful 2011 in the Black Swamp

PB

badelve

As Posterboy said, a picture perfect weekend. Congratulations 'Blindman' on your red hat, well done sir. The group came with a great teachable attitude & it was a pleasure to work with them. Sunday's last AQT's & redcoat's of the day were proof positive that Appleseed works. I would like to give special thanks as well to 2STAGETRIGGER for mentoring MoGun & providing use of your rifle, you made it all click for her and put her over the top. & 'Posterboy' for recognizing that "just one more" AQT would do it.
Miss fire, you're next ~~:)
I also thank all of my fellow instructors for continually reminding me that she was in good hands & it was better for 'Dad' to work the opposite end of the line. (Quit sideline coaching dad! you're ruining her 'riflemans bubble'  :))
I look forward to seeing & working with all of you on the trail again

Mo Gun

Thank you SO much 2STAGETRIGGER for letting me borrow your rifle for the AQT's the second half of yesterday! It's honestly what i needed! I used to think people who shot AQT's with a BOLT action were crazy, and the one's who shot 210+ with one were either incredibly lucky, or just plain blessed. However, i discovered as my dad (badelve) says "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast." really is a true statement. I finished many of the stages of the AQT in a quicker times than i have with my semi-auto .223! I was completely blown away when my dad called me and told me i had FINALLY shot above a 210! I'm framing that AQT and hanging it in my bedroom  ;D Poster boy, thank you for forcing me to stay for just ONE MORE AQT, i wouldn't have gotten my patch or my orange hat yesterday! Thank youuuuu!!
Oh and P.S Badelve.....you STILL suck with that whole messin with my rifleman's bubble thing....just fyi. That WHOLE last AQT you were sayin "SHIFT!" "SHIFT!"....like i've never been to an Appleseed before  :slap: buuuuuuuut thanks for calling the line!
Can't wait to start my career as a Junior Instructor next year!

KAH

It certainly was a great weekend in the Black Swamp - we exchanged some frosty mornings for the prehistoric sized black flies, but that was ok with us !!

Here are some photos I took during the weekend...shooters did a great job absorbing instruction and being safe.....congrats to the BS Troop for surviving the campout and taking part in the weekend....I look forward to seeing you all again on the AS Trail.......p.s. WhiteKnight thanks for bringing your entire family, you are soooooo close to that Rifleman score, do some dry firing and make the trip to another AS this fall (Piqua, Miamisburg, Wooster, Lima) and GET THE PATCH!  enjoy the pics.......

"We are in reality common Americans teaching our fellow common Americans to shoot uncommonly well. In addition we teach them their heritage." TaosGlock quoting SamD

KAH

a few more......
"We are in reality common Americans teaching our fellow common Americans to shoot uncommonly well. In addition we teach them their heritage." TaosGlock quoting SamD

KAH

more

KAH

a few more...

KAH

KMan

OK....this was my second Appleseed.  My first one was at this same facility back in September.  HUGE difference!!!  During my first, I was obsessed with shooting expert, which I did....but it wasn't the funnest event for me....(uber obsessed!)   For THIS event, I came with the goal of RELAXING, working out of one or two bad habits, and seeing if I could shoot expert with an AR. Did I have fun?  You bet.  Workout bad habits?  Check.  Qualify with an AR?  Nope...will change the sight picture to 6 hold rather than CoM/POI.  HOWEVER, this really IS mental...this really IS like golf.  "Honey, I'm gonna go shoot couple hundred rounds, I'll be back in couple hours"

On the 500 yard range, I was varying amounts of low (scoped rifle)...but dialed in perfectly to find Mr. Woodchuck.  That was my handiwork...with skills learned back in September.  That's my longerst hit...EVER.

Had an EXCELLENT time! VERY addictive! (learn, polish, repeat)   So when is the 2012 schedule published??????

MANY THANKS to Posterboy and and EXCELLENT staff/crew!!!!!!!

KMan