News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

ANNOUNCING: CT Instructors' KD Day and cookout, 30 October 2011

Started by The Log, September 20, 2011, 07:41:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Log

OK, now it's a party  ..:..

We'll plan food for about 16 or so. But everyone should bring something to drink - hydrate or die!

Gotta get me some punkins, too.

</log>
"The future belongs to those that show up." - hawkhavn

Jay Haich

Talk about being Handicapped:

I grew up with the water circling the drain the other way (South of the Equator it DOES that!).
I learned to drive on the LEFT side of the road.
I am getting a:

1. 25 point handicap :)
2. 30 point handicap ;)
3. 35 point handicap :D
4. 40 point handicap ;D

or for those of you who realize this is a 5 shot group at 25yds with an M1a....
(Admittedly this is the 4th day of a RBC and I had been shooting a LOT that week >:D)

5. 50 point handicap :'(

You select your personal value (1 to 5 listed above) and I will take you on individually O0!!!

I am happy to just get trigger time at 200yds and I look forward to the KD .22 shooting.

On a serious note:

Spend some time adjusting the fit of your stock! High density foam and a "horse" bandage do wonders for your cheek weld. If you need to adjust the length of pull - stop by your local gunshop and get a slip on butt pad. My rifles look really crappy with all the stuff taped to them, but they sure are a pleasure to shoot ^:)^

I am willing to donate some $ to defray the cost of printing.
Thanks to Mrs The Log for the Food preparation.

Looking forward to seeing you all there!

Be Safe
JH
If you are not part of the solution, then you are part of the problem.

Fred; Quoted (out of context) at an IBC on Battle Road 2011 "All it takes is a Red Hat and a Sharpie to run an Appleseed."
We ALL know this is not true and I would like to thank all the Hats, Admin and other volunteers that are involved in making an Appleseed Shoot happen.....

CaptMac

Is there a snow date for this event, or are we going to act like the hardy New Englanders we should be?

Read Glock23's post on Winterseeds, in case you need some thoughts on how to dress.
Ramseur Five Ten!!!

"Live Free or Die:  Death is not the Worst of Evils."  Genl.  John Stark, 1809.

Jay Haich

Snow date???
We don't need no stinking snow date!
We will have to act like thrifty (thanks to Glock23 for the savings info) and hardy New Englanders.

Be Safe
JH

Quote from: CaptMac on October 28, 2011, 10:59:04 AM
Is there a snow date for this event, or are we going to act like the hardy New Englanders we should be?

Read Glock23's post on Winterseeds, in case you need some thoughts on how to dress.

Fred; Quoted (out of context) at an IBC on Battle Road 2011 "All it takes is a Red Hat and a Sharpie to run an Appleseed."
We ALL know this is not true and I would like to thank all the Hats, Admin and other volunteers that are involved in making an Appleseed Shoot happen.....

CaptMac

There is the kind of answer I was seeking!   Thanks Jay Haich!
Ramseur Five Ten!!!

Glock23

Quote from: Jay Haich on October 28, 2011, 08:49:43 AM

Show off.

But, I've been practicing...
Last weekend. Quarters at 50 yards with my SWAT friend's rifle. 2-MOA. Best $0.50 I ever spent (he provided the match grade ammo). Not hard for the Rifleman, but not easy either.

CaptMac

NEWSFLASH:  This event is at least postponed.  The range has a conflicting event.  Got the call from Vernic82.
Ramseur Five Ten!!!

The Log

Yep, it's true. What snow can't do to us, a scheduling snafu can. Vernic82 reports that Chaplin scheduled a 3D archery event from 10-3 on Sunday, and that all ranges will be closed.  !@#)

Sorry, but we have to put this one on the back burner for now. V-man will be working with the club to schedule another date, hopefully in just a week or two, so we can get it in before Thanksgiving. He has pistol classes on the 12th and 13th, and the HGC shoot is scheduled for the 19th and 20th, so that leaves November 5, 6, 26 and 27, the last two being Thanksgiving weekend. Any objections to scheduling the shoot for that weekend?

I'll send out emails and PMs to everyone as soon as I can - gotta get back to the day job now. Sorry for the short notice.

</log>

CortJestir

Man, what a bummer. How about our friends at Colebrook or Lebanon? I know it's short notice, but it's so rare that we have so many folks able to make an event, that I feel we should exhaust all possibilities.
CT Appleseed Facebook Page

"I hate quotations. Tell me what you know." - Ralph Waldo Emerson :D

CaptMac

Ramseur Five Ten!!!

Jay Haich

It was not meant to show off... it was meant as Phych Warefare ;D

Nice shooting! And money well spent.

JH

Quote from: Glock23 on October 28, 2011, 11:27:08 AM
Quote from: Jay Haich on October 28, 2011, 08:49:43 AM

Show off.

CaptMac

If we cannot find a range, a place to meet, eat, etc. And not shoot could be some fun too. 

Otherwise, I am open on only the fifth. 
Ramseur Five Ten!!!

The Log

Lebanon is only 100 yards, and somewhat difficult at that.

The Colebrook rifle range is booked starting at 9 for a "Buffalo and Bucket Cast Bullet" match, whatever that is. I don't know how long it goes, or if it's likely to be canceled if there's snow on the range. I'll try to get in touch with Chuckwagon tomorrow, after a quick email tonight.

Even if the range is available, keep in mind that TOMINCT and I are the only club members, and we can each guest a maximum of two people. Not much of a party that way. We'd probably have to get special permission to make this an impromptu event, with some sort of range fee. Plus, with such short notice, I don't want to burn any bridges and tick off the club at AS - not good as we enter planning for 2012.

I'll keep you posted, but don't hold your breath.

</log>

TOMINCT

If you get the okay from the club it might be doable, although you will most likely be dealing with some of the once a year sighter inners. It's hunting season! :slap:

TL and myself are members. Who_Me? is a family member, glock23 and Jay Haitch are on the waiting list. Should count for something.

The B & B shoot should wind down around noon I think. If it's workable within that time frame let's try.
crak's battle road IBC 10-09
Ramseur 2-12!
ninsho's battle road IBC 6-13

The Log

I PMd and emailed Chuckwagon - no response yet. I'll give him a call in a few minutes. Stay tuned.

</log>

The Log

OK, folks, I think we can call this one. While we can theoretically use NWCSA tomorrow - the scheduled match was canceled - I don't think there's any reason to risk our lives to do so. Chuckwagon reports that the roads are nearly impassable up here, and I can second that - even back just after the storm started, Mrs. Log and I were barely able to get home from our required pre-storm trip out for milk and bread. Plus, the power is starting to go wonky up here now, so I'd say we're done for this weekend.

Now about next weekend - CW says we can use the range! We'd probably have to share with hunters who need to sight in, but we can certainly do that - good chance for Seventh Stepping, eh? But Sunday is the only day available - all ranges are closed on Saturday for pheasant hunting. That cuts CaptMac out of the loop, which seems unfair, since he did a lot to bring this together. But unless Vernic82 can get us into Chaplin on Saturday, I don't see what choice we'd have.

V-man - let us know what you find out. But for now, everyone put on your snowsuits and go out and play.

</log>

CortJestir

Makes sense, Dan. I remember very well the Colebrook shoot in December of 2009. Iced roads on Route 44 = cars fishtailing into ditches. Not a fun time.
CT Appleseed Facebook Page

"I hate quotations. Tell me what you know." - Ralph Waldo Emerson :D

TOMINCT

I think it good to have postponed it. We got 8-12" of the white stuff, heavy and wet so a lot of power lines, roads impassible, etc. I'm sure it's worse in TL's neck of thew woods.

That said we were blessed with a lot of environmentally friendly, movable, temporary berm material! No bugs either!
Ramseur 2-12!

The Log

Sorry for the absence, folks - we got whacked pretty hard in Torrington, what with 18" of heavy wet glop by Sunday morning. I lost power (and everything else - cable, 'net. phone - the works) on Saturday night and just got back to the 20th century at 3:30 this morning. Just got back from the day job, so this is the first chance I've had to check in.

Is anyone still interested in having the KD shoot this Saturday? That's the only day NWCSA is available - I haven't heard from Vernic82 yet on Chaplin dates. I did speak to Chuckwagon before the snowpocalypse, and NWCSA is available for us to use. He didn't mention range fees, or if we members need to guest non-members, but it seemed like they would be cool with just letting us use the range, as long as we share with the "sighter-inners".

I know the 5th is bad for CaptMac, so I'd be just as happy to try another date at another location, if available. But we need to make a decision fast, so post your preferences.

</log>

CaptMac

The 5th could work for me, but the 6th is definitely out. 

You should be able to read the IAAR about what I am doing on the 6th soon.   
Ramseur Five Ten!!!

TOMINCT

We  can't have it Saturday at NW, hunting season. All ranges are closed. Sunday is the only time. Unless you get another range.

Ramseur 2-12!

The Log

Sorry, you're right - I got my days mixed up. After four days without a working clock, you tend to lose track  ::)

So it can be SUNDAY, 6 November at NWCSA. Unless another range is available. Any interest?

</log>

Jay Haich

The Log

The Log

OK, let's just play it like this: whoever shows up, shows up. Hopefully we'll have enough members to guest in whoever shows, although Chuckwagon indicated that wasn't much of a concern. We won't worry about food, but if someone gets hungry we'll throw some bucks into the pot and get a couple of pizzas. And I'll try to round up the targets that CaptMac printed up so we have something to shoot at.

Still feel free to post or PM if you plan on coming, though - it's nice to have an idea.

Shall we say 11:00 on Sunday at NWCSA?

</log>

TOMINCT

Ramseur 2-12!

Old Ironsights

The USS Constitution:  Pride of the U.S. Fleet.  Named by George Washington.  Built in Boston. Earned her nickname fighting the British.  She is a Frigate - fast, light, carrying just enough firepower to get her job done, yet not so much as to encumber.

In 1830, the Secretary of the Navy declared her unfit for service.  Destined to be scuttled, the PEOPLE would not have it!  The barnacles slowing her were scraped, she was re-fit, and returned to her original glory.  Thrice more over the years, the PEOPLE restored her.

Now, she is the oldest floating commissioned naval vessel in the world.  In 2010 she celebrated her 213th birthday.

How appropriate her name.  I have faith in We The People!

The Log

Mrs. Log took it as a personal slight that I was thinking of just getting pizza, so she's whipping up a crockpot of hot dogs in beer with kraut and onions and a chocolate banana cake. Hopefully the club has power...

Let's shoot for an 11:00 AM start time. I may be a little behind - I need to swing by Staples to pick up the targets at 10:30.

</log>

CaptMac

So?  How was it?  What happened? Who showed?  Info, I want the info!
Ramseur Five Ten!!!