News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

ANNOUNCING: CT Instructors' KD Day and cookout, 30 October 2011

Started by The Log, September 20, 2011, 07:41:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Log

It's that time of year again folks - the temperature is dropping, the leaves are changing, and the CT Instructor Crew needs a KD tuneup! Come on out with us and get back into the groove of hitting targets at 200 yards. Polish your KD teaching skills while you're at it. And don't forget the chance for some quality time with your fellow ASers.

Where: Fin, Fur and Feather Club, Chaplin, CT
When: Sunday 30 October 2011, 10:00AM to 1:00PM (or so)
What to bring: Centerfire rifle, ammo, eyes and ears, mat - all the usual stuff you need for a shoot

Our very own executive chef, Fred (the Hurtful), will be cooking up something tasty for lunch. Menu details to follow, but be prepared to chip in a little something for the cause - we can't take too much advantage of Fred's hospitality.

PM or post with questions.

</log>
"The future belongs to those that show up." - hawkhavn

Glock23

Sweet. I'm in. If you clue me in on the menu, I'll bring an appropriate side-dish of some sort.

The Log

Glad you'll be there!

I'll leave the final menu announcement up to Chef Vernic, but I suspect it will be grill-based cuisine. Or possibly from a trashcan. Details to follow.

</log>

The Log

BTT, which I moved from the CT Planning sub-board since not every CT IIT seems to have access to that area. I'm working on why that might be.

Please post here if you're planning on coming, so Chef Fred has an idea of how much work he'll have. You'll also want to post what you're bringing.

</log>

Jay Haich

Count me in!!!!

Fred: I will be willing to bring a side dish (might serve it on a trashcan Lid ;))

Be safe
JH
If you are not part of the solution, then you are part of the problem.

Fred; Quoted (out of context) at an IBC on Battle Road 2011 "All it takes is a Red Hat and a Sharpie to run an Appleseed."
We ALL know this is not true and I would like to thank all the Hats, Admin and other volunteers that are involved in making an Appleseed Shoot happen.....

vernic82

Burgers & Dogs.....nothing special as we'll be eating/meeting at the Club.

BYOB/SD
"To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain always a child. For what is the worth of human life, unless it is woven into the life of our ancestors by the records of history?"
― Marcus Tullius Cicero

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
~ Harlan Ellison

"Yeah well, that's just, ya know, like, your opinion, man."
- The Dude

The Log

Perhaps I can persuade Mrs. Log to send us off with a crockpot full o' Appleseed Chili. Not to usurp Fred's executive chef authority, mind you - just a little something extra to sweeten the pot, as it were. Think chili dogs and chili burgers.

No promises, but I'll try. Shouldn't be hard - you know how she loves to cook for an appreciative crowd. But I'll wait till she's in a better mood before I ask - suppose I need to fix the antenna on her car right quick.

</log>

vernic82

sounds good to me!   I'd rather shoot than cook!  We do have electricity at the range for the Mrs.'s crock pot too :)

Quote from: The Log on October 04, 2011, 07:00:45 PM
Perhaps I can persuade Mrs. Log to send us off with a crockpot full o' Appleseed Chili. Not to usurp Fred's executive chef authority, mind you - just a little something extra to sweeten the pot, as it were. Think chili dogs and chili burgers.

No promises, but I'll try. Shouldn't be hard - you know how she loves to cook for an appreciative crowd. But I'll wait till she's in a better mood before I ask - suppose I need to fix the antenna on her car right quick.

</log>
"To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain always a child. For what is the worth of human life, unless it is woven into the life of our ancestors by the records of history?"
― Marcus Tullius Cicero

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
~ Harlan Ellison

"Yeah well, that's just, ya know, like, your opinion, man."
- The Dude

The Log

OK, then - standard Mrs. Log shoot-food it is: Appleseed Chili, cornbread, and chocolate banana cake. Compatible side dishes more than welcome, and beverages too.

In attendance so far:

Glock23
Who_Me?
The Log
Vernic82
Jay Haich
CaptMac
freedomwon
TOMINCT (possibly)
Old Ironsights
davidgw1
CortJestir (possibly)
Lymiseede (and Pete, possibly)
Jonymo

As we get closer I'll ask for a firm headcount so we know how much chili to make. It's best not to cross Mrs. Log on this - those who do seldom live to tell the tale...

BTW - this being October 30, who's bringing the pumpkins?  :---

</log>

CaptMac

OH, I am there! 

And Ladies and Gentlemen, bring your favorite AQT Rifle.  Not only am I going to be there, I will be bringing awards, major awards, for whoever can shoot the best scores for a few sets of targets, provided the Connecticut Instructing Corps is up for a little contest or three.   I may have no chance of winning myself, but that doesn't mean I will not be trying.

FWIW, we did some KD 22 shooting this weekend at the Chaplin Appleseed.  It was fun.   
Ramseur Five Ten!!!

"Live Free or Die:  Death is not the Worst of Evils."  Genl.  John Stark, 1809.

The Log

Good deal, Mac. I was hoping we'd see you're smiling face again soon.

As if CaptMac's Major Awards weren't enough of a draw, I'm trying to get targets and instructions for full-distance AQTs from Nickle! If you're looking for another shooting challenge to keep things interesting, that should help. Details to follow.

</log>

Jay Haich

[quote I'm trying to get targets and instructions for full-distance AQTs from Nickle! </log>
quote]

Is that Known Distance (200yrd) or Full Distance AQT's?

Be Safe
JH
If you are not part of the solution, then you are part of the problem.

Fred; Quoted (out of context) at an IBC on Battle Road 2011 "All it takes is a Red Hat and a Sharpie to run an Appleseed."
We ALL know this is not true and I would like to thank all the Hats, Admin and other volunteers that are involved in making an Appleseed Shoot happen.....

Glock23

Quote from: CaptMac on October 10, 2011, 12:26:24 AM
Not only am I going to be there, I will be bringing awards, major awards, for whoever can shoot the best scores for a few sets of targets, provided the Connecticut Instructing Corps is up for a little contest or three.

Jay Haich is excluded from any such contest, unless he's given a 25 point handicap...   :-[

CaptMac

Why not start with some squares, shoot a regular AQT or a few of them.  Then go through a KD course of fire for the .22s, put targets the size of the top silhouette on an AQT, shoot one at 25 offhand, 50 seated, 75 prone and 100 prone.  Then we will have done an AQT at KD with the .22s.  It's not the same as centerfire out to 400 yards, but we cannot do that in Connecticut, at this time.  And we would need to sue come ups out at 100 yards with our .22s.  Then, if we have fullsize, 20 inch targets, so the same thing, shooting it s x s at 100 and 200, then shoot a reduced target at 200 to represent the 300 and 400. 

I know we can come up with squares and AQTs to shoot a few of those.  I've got a single 8 1/2 x 11 sheet that a silhouette the same size as the top (100 yard) silhouette on an AQT.  I'll make a bunch of copies of it, so we will have the targets to shoot the .22 KD at 25, 50, 75 and 100. 

If someone gets the fullsize, 20 inch silhouette, then all we would need is something reduced to represent the 300 and 400 yard silhouettes.  If I take the sheet of the 100 yard silhouette and make copies of double the size, that will handle the target to represent 400 yards when posted at 200 yards.  I can handle the math to figure out the proper size to enlarge the same target to create one to represent the 300 yard silhouette. 

If we want to run a handicap match concurrently with the pure raw score, I have no objections.  I will have enough medals and ribbons, and I am not kidding about medals.  Already have them.  The ribbons for the medals are coming.  As far as some other remuneration for winners, my mind is still mulling over what I will offer.   
Ramseur Five Ten!!!

freedomwon

Sounds like fun and I will need a break and some good course refreshing. Personally I think a 25 handicap for Jay isn't enough. Sorry Jay :( There is a price to pay for being really really good. Yes, it's lonely at the top but that's your own fault. You could miss once in a while you know! It's good to set the bar high, yes......hmm, but the rest of us would at least like to see the bar.  ::) I will gladly bring the usual morning refreshments. Hope to be there, Phil

CaptMac

After reading about someone shooting a 248 on an AQT, I am thinking there might need to be a rules change. 

Maybe someone will only be able to win one prize, and leave the following contests open for others.  If so, maybe we add another "overall" winner.  comments?
Ramseur Five Ten!!!

The Log

Yeah, Jay Haich is a bit of a ringer all right. Your plan probably makes sense - not to penalize JH for his prowess, mind you, but so as to not make it pointless for we mere mortals.

On another note, I need a final count so that the She-Log can plan the cooking. See up a few posts for a tally, and post or PM any corrections necessary. If you can't commit till last minute, no worries - I'm sure we'll have plenty extra for you. In other words - every instructor is welcome, CT or elsewhere, signed up or not. Just come along, shoot, bond, and eat. It's a beautiful thing.

And I'll bring some pumpkins  :~

</log>

Old Ironsights

What?  Shooting food?  :~  err, pumpkins?  Count me in!

I was able to clear the calendar for Sunday.  Let's hope that dang storm they are predicting stays out to sea. 
The USS Constitution:  Pride of the U.S. Fleet.  Named by George Washington.  Built in Boston. Earned her nickname fighting the British.  She is a Frigate - fast, light, carrying just enough firepower to get her job done, yet not so much as to encumber.

In 1830, the Secretary of the Navy declared her unfit for service.  Destined to be scuttled, the PEOPLE would not have it!  The barnacles slowing her were scraped, she was re-fit, and returned to her original glory.  Thrice more over the years, the PEOPLE restored her.

Now, she is the oldest floating commissioned naval vessel in the world.  In 2010 she celebrated her 213th birthday.

How appropriate her name.  I have faith in We The People!

davidgw1

Back in one piece again and I'm planning on being there!  Looking forward to seeing you all; I'll bring some soft drinks.

The Log

OK, then, looks like a good crew! I updated  the list above. Any and all still welcome!!

</log>

CaptMac

Do we have any full-size targets coming? 

I have 60 of the 100 yard AQT targets.  Ran them off at Kinkos this morning.  That should be enough for us to a .22lr 100 yard KD AQT, or whatever we wish to call it. 

I made a copy of this same target blown up 200 %, which when out out at 200 yards should give us a good representation of the full-size target placed at 400 yards.  If can do one of these at about 300 percent, and 400 percent for the sitting and 300 yard phases of the AQT.  But, if we have the bigger ones, or some of them I won't.  Let me know before I jump. 
Ramseur Five Ten!!!

The Log

I have a shi - err, considerable quantity of 100 yard silhouettes, so don't bother running off any more of those. I also have all the usual targets, and I'll bring everything I've got.

As for full-size targets, I'm lucky enough to have 10 of the 20" full-size AQTs, which TOMINCT gave me. Not sure if he has anymore, but 10 looks like enough for all of us if we have repair dots - black electrical tape will do. Those will do for the off hand and sitting stages - we'll have to do it SxS and move the targets after repairing them. So we need to cover the two prone stages. If my math serves - and that's a BIG maybe after being at the day job today - we'd need a 10" target to simulate what a 20" target would look like at 400 yards, and a 15" target for the 300 yard equivalent.

Someone please check my math on this before we go committing this to paper.

</log>

The Log

As luck would have it, I just discovered a post from way back in 2007 that has PDFs for 300 and 400 yard equivalent targets for use at 200 yards. Badda-bing.

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=961.msg10051#msg10051

Now - does anyone have a way to print on a 24"x36" piece of paper? I know I used to get copies of our blueprints made at Office Depot while we were building our house. It was fairly reasonable as far as cost. Not sure if Staples does likewise, but I'll check.

edit: Yikes! Staples wants $3.00 for each copy. Although not bad really - if everyone kicks in $10, that'll cover two targets, a little bit for lunch, and some for Mac's Major Awards. Sound reasonable?

</log>

CaptMac

The awards I am bringing are on me.  No need to figure them into any other calculations.  They are done.
Ramseur Five Ten!!!

The Log

Very generous, Mac. As for the rest, how about I just get the targets printed up and we'll work things out at the shoot?

</log>

fprintf

Any room for a visit from a MIA shooter/instructor?  I am not sure I can do anything but hang out, maybe shoot a little .22lr. I still have to find out what is going on, for sure, so don't add me to the tally just yet. Thanks to Tom for the reminder to check in.
I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and dog-gone it people like me!  ~Stuart Smalley

The Log

CaptMac

Quote from: The Log on October 26, 2011, 09:45:02 PM
Very generous, Mac. As for the rest, how about I just get the targets printed up and we'll work things out at the shoot?

</log>

If you haven't done it, don't.  I will bring them.
Ramseur Five Ten!!!

CortJestir

I just may be able to make this one. Went out and bought 200 rounds of .308 and another ammo box full of surplus Lake City 5.56 today - if that's any indication. Pencil me in for "in" right now and I'll let you know if it changes. I'm also going to see if LymiSeede and Pete can make it.

CJ
CT Appleseed Facebook Page

"I hate quotations. Tell me what you know." - Ralph Waldo Emerson :D