News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Eaton Rapids, MI Sept 17-18, 2011

Started by ITB, September 19, 2011, 11:18:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ITB

Another great event is in the books.  This was the first event at a new venue, Eaton Rapids Conservation Club.

We had perfect weather, great attitudes, some very excited and well-behaved young patriots, a great group of instructors, and much-improved shooters.

Please post up any and all pictures.  Once I find my camera, I'll post some up, too.

Thanks to ERCC for the gracious hospitality, and the invitation for multiple future events.  Thanks to the shooters who came out with much enthusiasm and passion.  And thanks to all of the instructors who came out to make it a successful weekend.

Bill
itb
"I will either set my country free, or shed my last drop of blood to make her so." -  Dr. Joseph Warren

" ITB glides through the highways of the Midwest like a Velvet Fog, unfettered by mortal speed limits, leaving only the knowledge of American Heritage and Marksmanship (and a faint whiff of ghost pepper sauce) in his wake." - Oz

CF KD requal - Muenster, TX  11/25/23

mac66

It was fun spending time with the kids on the line.  On Saturday I had the pleasure of working with Miss Sarah. Other than a bit of plinking in her back yard, she had never had any formal instruction before. I watched as her 'just on the paper' groups shrunk into consistent one and two inch groups. By the end of the weekend she was hammering out consistent small groups from the prone position.  Given a rifle that fits her, (dad, are you listening  :D)   she has all the makings of a very good rifle woman.  Her younger brother Ben joined us on Sunday.  He literally glowed with excitement. He got to shoot off the sand bags all of Sunday and did a great job learning the fundamentals.  Bill Winkle worked with him most of the day and I don't know who had the most fun.

Gary, (Greywolf) one of our very persistent shooters earned his patch and a bath on Sunday for shooting 210.  His wife who shot with us before and newbie daughter (who makes an awesome apple pie btw)  were also along at this shoot and it was a pleasure to see them again. His son Aaron, showed up blurry eyed on Sunday morning from working all night and is knocking on the door.  Gary accepted an orange hat and is very welcome into the fold as we continue to grow Michigan's orchard.

John and Paul were shooting some great groups and only need to put a consistent course of fire together to earn their patches. Great job guys.

Always fun working with this group of instructors.  Thanks 'burbs for you leadership.

Thanks also to the Eaton Rapids Conservation Club for their gracious hospitality.
Status quo, you know, is Latin for 'the mess we're in'.
Ronald Reagan

Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. Will Rogers

The King has degenerated into a tyrant and forfeits all rights to his subjects' obedience."  Patrick Henry, 1765

Motivation?...The best solution to morale problems is to kill all the unhappy people  Ghenghis Khan

Graywolf

What a fantastic weekend!  It was a pleasure seeing all the young shooters on the line and very rewarding watching them learn to make their mark.  So many shooters were knocking on the door this weekend that I thought there would be several Riflemen scores.  Hang in there!  Persistence pays off!

Many thanks to Burbs and all the other instructors for patient instruction, helpful tips, and a sense of humor.  I look forward to working with you all on the line.  Special thanks to ERCC for providing such wonderful facilities and great food! 
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

"There ain't no easy horses.  Learn to ride."  S.K.B.

Grindstone

Can't wait to do it again. What a talented bunch!

Graywolf, welcome to the cadre!

some pictures:

Superheat

Wow looks like I missed out on a great weekend.  Nice job guys. 

jollyrogers

This past weekend was awesome!  Even after hearing rave reviews from a coworker about these events, I wasn't sure what to expect.  I have to say that I came away from the weekend with a far greater appreciation of the "little things" that make a good shot.  I still have a lot of work to do, but am anxious to take my next shot - so to speak - at a patch.

For anyone reading these posts trying to make the decision whether or not to attend an Appleseed event, don't waste any more time thinking about it - just do it...

The emphasis on safety was second to none.  The attention and instruction was excellent - always reminding of the small details in the form of suggestion, and always encouraging. Bill Winkle was awesome with one of the younger shooters there - in fact I think that little guy left feeling two feet taller on Sunday.  The history lessons were done well, and spaced appropriately to give shooters some time to relax/loosen up.

To all the instructors, your collective help is much appreciated.  Each of you brought a slightly different perspective to the same details.

The only thing I would do different is I wouldn't go hunting before the next event I attend.  It would have been much more fun to stay for the whole second day than it was to butcher deer.