News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Davilla Texas April 19th 2008

Started by Scout, April 20, 2008, 01:05:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LabRat

[attachment=1]
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.

Thomas Paine

LabRat

[attachment=1]
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.

Thomas Paine

LabRat

[attachment=1]

Thomas Paine

Spartan14

Well to identify myself I am the Marine who shot with full gear and a multicammed M1A that weighed more than 18 pounds who is hoping to shoot kd at a later date. 

First off I'd like to say thanks to the instructors for giving up their time to this noble effort.  Once my PTR 91(HK 91 clone) is finished, I will be back to run the course again.  I am telling everyone I can about this phenomenal program and hope that I can help out and become an instructor once I have a more suitable main battle rifle that will fit into the program better.  I am working on convincing my buddy who was firing the suppressed M4 to become an instructor as well.  He is one of the true gun nuts left out there.  He has a 750 round minimum weekly round count and is scared that becoming an instructor might cut into his weekly range time.  We are trying to get him to join AA now to help him with his gun addiction.  Unfortunately his condition seems to be getting worse and it's contagious a fact my wife can attest to.

Also whats with all the people who are full of excuses of why they can't go?
Scout keep up the good work. You are making difference in people's lives.

Well Semper Fidelis and thanks again to all the instructors.
Spartan14

Old Dog

I've gotta ask, what can you put on an M1A to make it weigh over 18 lbs?  Besides a big chunk of lead.

Just curious.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

Nickle

Heavy barrel, National Match (filled with resin) stock, big scope, or like mine (which has no NM parts), which can wear my AN/PVS-2.

Don't fear the night, fear what hunts at night.
They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

Sounds like New Englanders to me.

Spartan14

Troy Industries SAS modular chassis system, magpul adjustable buttstock, Grip pod (vertical foregrip/bipod) Troy folding front and rear backup sights, and a 3.5 power Trijicon ACOG for .308 until I can pick a scope.  

voortrekker

Quote from: Spartan14 on April 30, 2008, 09:17:13 PM

First off I'd like to say thanks to the instructors for giving up their time to this noble effort. 

Well Semper Fidelis and thanks again to all the instructors.
Spartan14

Spartan14,

I was working different areas of the line that weekend, so you probably don't remember me.

I took a quick peek at your rifle a few times.  We don't see those much.  Was it a Sage stock with the ACOG?

Doesn't matter at any rate.

Just know you will be a future owner of the AQT, the "Rifleman's Quarter Mile".  PERSIST!

Don't give up on that M1A!   :)

HK-91 is a good reliable rifle, but I think you will shoot better, ultimately, with your M1A.

Heck, bring both next time!

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE as a U.S. Marine!!!!

ADDED LATER :

OK now I see the pics.  Thanks.

I would suggest mounting your front sling swivel in front and below your forestock.

And getting a USGI M14 sling.

Looking at the pics, I'm thinking your sling and where it is positioned on your stock is definitley not helping your NPOA.

But again, I've never shot a rifle with that stock and didn't get the opportunity to work with you on the line.

If I was shooting the AQT, knowing what works in my hands, was given your rifle, I would take the ACOG off, put on a conventional M14 stock(preferrable USGI synthetic) and use the iron sights.

Earn a Rifleman score and then think about putting the ACOG back on.

I've got several spare M14 stocks.  If you attend another Davilla shoot when I'm there, I will be more than happy to lend one to you, with a USGI sling.

Think about it.

If YOU are thinking, WE are winning.

Spartan14

Hmm I already own a traditional stock but it doesn't work so well for the mission I built this rifle for.  The ACOG is just holding a spot for Nightforce illuminated reticule 3.5-15x56 Scope.  The ACOG belongs to a PTR91 that is having a few modifications made to it.  As for the loop sling method it works great for shooting at matches but there isn't normally time for that sort of thing on the battlefield except for certain rare types of ambushes.  More importantly using one of Larry Vickers tactical two point slings allows you to quickly transition from strong to weak side to maximize the use of available cover.  Another important reason for functioning effectively in both strong and weak side shooting is in most patrols you stack every other man facing outboard to the left ,right, left, right etc. in order to affect maximum fields of fire(Just visualize 13 Marines all right handed being engaged unexpectedly from their right flank.  And yes I agree iron sights are great for new shooters to learn marksmanship on.  There is obviously a reason the Marine Corps began issuing ACOG's to combat troops, at 500 meters my front sight post completely covers a man sized target.  Not being able to properly identify the target you are shooting at can be a problem in modern warfare.  Perhaps if we were firing at redcoats all lined up it wouldn't matter if we could identify our targets then again if Fred is right perhaps the blue helmets will help with identifying charlie.  Obviously environment dictating, most combat take places within 75 meters.  So one could clearly argue optics are unnecessary but me personally if I am outnumbered and outgunned I want to be out a lot further to maximize the available standoff distance the 7.62x 51/.308 cal offers me over the 7.62x 39, 5.45 and 5.56 carried by most troops these days(Average NATO soldier fires effectively out to 300 meters).  So you are asking yourself what does all this have to do with shooting a civilian version of the Army AQT?  I guess the answer is simple.  Marines train like they fight.  We all have the pleasure of annually firing our rifles for a week and a half at 100-500 meters, firing at night, wearing gas masks.  We also make it a point to fire the entire annual marksmanship course wearing full gear just like we would if we were shooting something other than a competition rifle shoot.  You know, sweat while you train so you don't bleed when you fight.  Chest rigs and body armor massively effect all my firing positions and my zeros so I try and always shoot wearing them.  I don't wanna be an expert at firing my weapon without ammo, cleaning gear, food and water to support my weapon.  Back on iron sights the troy front and rear folding back up sights are zeroed and work great in the event my optic goes down.

Anyways Appleseed is a great program that is good for fine tuning and teaching the fundamentals of marksmanship.  Once I get my PTR91 setup I will be back to play some more.  I may not be the typical shooter but I have been promoting the program to others as much as possible and hope I am able to help.

Semper Fidelis

wcmartin1

Nice stick, Spartan14.

I appreciate your promotional efforts for this program and thank you for your service to our country, Sir. 

I also agree that in your situation - training as you fight has it's advantages.

Although I didn't meet you in Davilla, I was there and hope to see you again.

BTW - I love the humor in your screen alias.  ;D
"Unhappy it is, though, to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast and that the once-happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by a race of slaves.  Sad alternative!  But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?" - George Washington - from a letter to a close friend after the events of April 19, 1775

"There is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our (the United States) overthrow.  Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter.  From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence, I must confess that I do apprehend some danger.  I fear that they may place too implicit a confidence in their public servants, and fail properly to scrutinize their conduct; that in this way they may be made the dupes of designing men, and become the instruments of their own undoing." - Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

crak

Quote from: PJEVANS on April 28, 2008, 06:08:50 PMMr. Rogers, Methodist Preacher, was a successful sniper

Sorry, that's one of those internet myths.

Since that's Spartan's fighting rifle (for all the right reasons), that's exactly what he should be practicing with. 
Check your drama at the door.

Spartan14

Yeah I must admit the rifle doesn't exactly meet definition of Laconic/ Spartan but the screen name is pretty universal for forums. What can I say, my heroes are Jesus above all else, John Wayne And King Leonidas ever since I first read Steven Pressfield's "Gates of Fire."  I wish kids these days had heroes like that as opposed to Sponge Bob and crack dealers hmm maybe I'm not to up to date on kids heroes.

Semper Fidelis
Spartan14