Author Topic: Breathable Appleseed clothing?  (Read 4403 times)

Offline 9mm4545

• designated Shoot Boss
  • Myakka Twelve-Ten, Myakka Ten-Eleven, IDMR 2/17
Breathable Appleseed clothing?
« on: August 05, 2011, 02:44:21 PM »
Down here in steamy Florida I have found that cotton T-shirts are definitely not the best clothing for use in the heat. At a recent event there was a shooter who said that he would pay dearly if only Appleseed would make a shirt in a "technical" fabric--one that would breathe, such as UnderArmor HeatGear. The cotton quickly becomes soaked with sweat, traps the body heat and, in the absence of a breeze, actually makes you hotter. If Appleseed would make such a thing, I believe that it would be readily sold; I would buy several!
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

Offline TruTenacity

• Retired Shoot Boss
  • Proverbs 15:1
Re: Breathable Appleseed clothing?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 03:14:20 PM »
Maybe you could design a shirt, get a preliminary cost for production then pass it by Devnull & Ratchett as the promotions team leaders and the AB.  If it looks feasible maybe it will turn into an AS store item.
"We are fighting for our country, for posterity perhaps.  On the success of this campaign the happiness or misery of millions may depend."  Henry Knox

"Let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap if we faint not."  Galatians 6:9

Offline Justin

• Retired Shoot Boss
  • Piru 10^3 IE 7-11
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 03:18:57 PM »
Zazzle.com already has our tshirt design. With what is alreay there you can change the options and customize the shirt. They do have a moisture wicking shirt available.

http://www.zazzle.com/rwva_logo_where_marksmanship_met_history_and_tshirt-235842358853810259

Go there, click customize it, change the shirt type and that should be that....

Offline 9mm4545

• designated Shoot Boss
  • Myakka Twelve-Ten, Myakka Ten-Eleven, IDMR 2/17
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 02:10:30 PM »
Zazzle.com already has our tshirt design. With what is alreay there you can change the options and customize the shirt. They do have a moisture wicking shirt available.

http://www.zazzle.com/rwva_logo_where_marksmanship_met_history_and_tshirt-235842358853810259

Go there, click customize it, change the shirt type and that should be that....

Yeah, something like that. If you buy 251+ shirts, the price (before shipping) starts looking pretty reasonable, around $20 or so. I don't know if this would meet the "uniform code" for a shoot but I may buy one anyway. Any interest among the cadre to make a bulk order to get the price down or to make available in the Appleseed store?
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

Offline sparks1

• Retired Instructor
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 06:15:10 PM »
Breathable...lightweight...doesn't hold the sweat in like a T-shirt???

I'm in for a couple at least.

Sparks1
Integrity is easier to keep, than to regain.

The Truth is that teamwork is at the heart of great accomplishment. 
(John Maxwell)

Offline SPQR

• Hot Pants!
  • Inactive Instructor
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 07:23:05 PM »
Before you go bugnuts check your local t-shirt shop.  I play a lot of softball and our local shop was able to put our team logo on two different kinds of technicals (including the one pictured) for 16 bucks a piece and we had our choice of color.  Just saying. 

Caveat: Some of the technicals melt when .22 brass hits them.

Offline RifleWoman

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 06:00:50 PM »
I'm sure our own print shop, that does our shirts now, could do them on a shirt that would be acceptable for pretty cheap.  Somebody just needs to do the foot work.

BTW, I believe our current shirts are cotton/poly blend

Personally, I think it's time for a new shirt.
Many hands make light work and easy bailing.

Offline slim

• Inactive Instructor
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 08:27:29 PM »
Isn't it about time for Nike, Reebok, Converse, Addidas, Under Armor or someone like that to sponsor us?  I'm sure if we "allowed them" to display their logo on our shirts we'd get a discount. I used to joke about this sort of thing but now that we're at 40,000+ participants there's a real market for it and I'm guessing one of those companies would be interested.

From the demand I'm seeing above, we'd be better off going with something more like this -http://www.patriotoutfitters.com/scripts/z.exe/sbproc?action=sp20857&path=gshop&utm_source=gbase
for our instructor T-shirts. We could get them in a neutral color (light green, gray?) and have a big Oval centered on the front with a big old "INSTRUCTOR" stenciled on the back. These have moisture wicking properties and also padded elbows which would benefit all of us.

The ACS may be a little too militant but I have a Nike running shirt that would be pefect. It's light and breathable, perfect for summer. We could get our Appleseed Stuff printed on them as well.

Off to do some shopping....

Offline TowedJumper

• Retired IIT
  • 11C1P - Toe'd the line 1994-97
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2011, 06:11:17 PM »
I am interested in this although its past the season for most of us now.  Still, my two thought on this are:

1) Would like it in grey if possible.  Instructing is dirty work, being down on your stomach looking for flaws and encouraging.  White just won't cut it really.  The performance shirt option there at the site RifleWoman linked to was only available in white.

2) Dont want to spend money on something that isn't approved of by the powers that be.  I don't have a ton of disposable income to throw around either (meaning I would only be able to purchase one or two of these so I don't want to waste it on an unapproved version).  If the company riflewoman linked to could just get a grey version in stock I would assume that it would be ok right?  I mean, we use the site to order stuff now anyway right?

Offline dwarven1

• designated Shoot Boss
  • Starksboro, VT
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2011, 09:31:01 PM »
What about getting shirts from TechWearUSA?

Quote from: from their website
TechWearUSA shirts are light, breathable, and moisture wicking - more a piece of equipment than just a shirt. Your shirt will drip dry in a few hours, provide twice the life of a regular cotton shirt, and the colors remain crisp and vibrant.

NorthEastShooters did a group buy of their shirts and they seem to be holding up very well. They're not cheap but they do seem to be more comfortable in the heat than the cotton/poly shirts we have. Heck, I don't wear mine unless I'm AT a shoot - I much prefer the all-cotton Rifleman shirts that Old Grunt did up a year or two ago.

Looks like TechWear does polos and T-shirts. http://www.techwearusa.com/products_stockshirts.asp
Unhappy it is ... to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast, and that the once happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by slaves. Sad alternative! But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?

GEORGE WASHINGTON

Offline TowedJumper

• Retired IIT
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2011, 10:18:02 PM »
Wow.  If you wanted to "think outside the box" with a t-shirt these would be the guys/gals to get it done.  Not exactly cheap at 60 per though (for the crew on the bottom.  Assumed thats the one you meant).

Offline dwarven1

• designated Shoot Boss
  • Starksboro, VT
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2011, 10:25:17 PM »
Wow.  If you wanted to "think outside the box" with a t-shirt these would be the guys/gals to get it done.  Not exactly cheap at 60 per though (for the crew on the bottom.  Assumed thats the one you meant).

Nope, not cheap... but if we order 49 or more the price drops to $40/shirt. Perhaps those of us who dislike the poly/cotton should do a group buy instead of waiting for RWVA to hand them to us. Given that it's getting cooler now, we've got several months to save our pennies for them.
Unhappy it is ... to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast, and that the once happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by slaves. Sad alternative! But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?

GEORGE WASHINGTON

Offline TowedJumper

• Retired IIT
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2011, 11:01:05 PM »
Well, not living in a place as warm as Phoenix AZ or some place in Florida I wasn't exactly expecting RWVA to hand me a couple.  If they landed in my lap I wouldnt turn em down but not expecting.  So, do we have any creative types in our group?  I am pretty good punching holes in paper and can even draw inside the lines if requested (on a good day), but designing a shirt is outside my COF.   :sos:  So, are we talking about a simple re-work of the shirt on a breathable performance wear top, or are we REALLY going for something like what they are showing on their site?

The thing about the OP's post was they were looking for a hot weather version of the shirt we already use.  If we don't use the same design its really not a "uniform" anymore right?

Probably the last thing we want is a "TactiCool" shirt like they are showing there.  No reason to let the graphics throwup on the shirt...
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 11:37:40 PM by TowedJumper »

Offline TowedJumper

• Retired IIT
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2011, 11:28:33 PM »
Looking at some of their examples there it might be nice to do a flag on the sleeve.  When I was in the Army I remember if you had previously been in combat with a unit you could wear that unit's insignia on your right shoulder.  Your current unit would be on your left shoulder. Might be cool to do either a 13 colony flag on the right or a copy of the oval patch there, and then have a standard flag on the left.  Playing off of the "revolutionary war veteran" thing...

Heck, it would be nice to have the URL on our sleeve or back as well.  You know, www.appleseedinfo.org or something.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 11:42:56 PM by TowedJumper »

Offline TowedJumper

• Retired IIT
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2011, 12:10:05 AM »
http://www.customlogousa.com/Shirts/dri-fit-shirts/

This group seems to have a lot of the Nike Dri-fit and Addidas brand stuff along with several other brands I haven't heard of before.  The prices are starting out lower however so the chances of us coming up with what we want at a lower price are better.  This is just off of a google search however and I don't have any direct experience with them.

Offline TowedJumper

• Retired IIT
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2011, 12:39:13 PM »
Apparently its up to whomever is in charge of our account with zazzle to add in the appropriate grey microfiber tech shirts..

Here is my question and their response...

question:

Several of us would like to purchase a performance microfiber kind of shirt but all you have available is white.  We would rather not have to go to another vendor and re-design this thing so the easiest thing to do is to ask about product options.  Specifically would like something in grey or maybe a light tan.  We use these shirts a lot and they are a kind of uniform for us.  We do a lot of down on the ground kind of work and usually get kindof dirty as a result.  White won't cut it and some of the members in hotter climate (AZ, Florida, etc) would like some other options.  Thanks in advance!

RESPONSE:

Thanks for contacting the support team at Zazzle.com.

We recommend visiting the Zazzle Store where you viewed the original image or design http://www.zazzle.com/appleseedus to see if the Seller has already created a similar product that suits your needs. If not, you can attempt to contact them by placing a comment on the product page or their Store's comment wall, or by sending them a message through the link on their Store homepage, provided that they have enabled these features within their account.  Most Sellers are happy to take the time to accommodate fellow Zazzlers who express interest in their products.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 12:41:12 PM by TowedJumper »

Offline dwarven1

• designated Shoot Boss
  • Starksboro, VT
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2011, 04:00:52 PM »

Nope, not cheap... but if we order 49 or more the price drops to $40/shirt. Perhaps those of us who dislike the poly/cotton should do a group buy instead of waiting for RWVA to hand them to us. Given that it's getting cooler now, we've got several months to save our pennies for them.

If I can get the original artwork, I'll shop around to a few vendors and see what kind of pricing I can get. I'd like to have the artwork in hand before I contact them, though.

Anyone know who's got it?

GEORGE WASHINGTON

Offline BeSwift

• AOC Vice Chairman
  • Senior Instructor
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2011, 06:16:55 PM »
While not the most popular option, you could always wear your UA Heatgear as your base layer.. that's what I've always done...   BeSwift
"The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well"
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Happiness =  Reality - Expectations

Offline TowedJumper

• Retired IIT
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2011, 09:04:07 PM »
I haven't ever tried that.  How well does it work for you?  I don't own any UA stuff but does it work best when its close to the skin/skin tight?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 09:07:21 PM by TowedJumper »