News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Riley, IN July 23-24 2011

Started by ATM, July 25, 2011, 01:25:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ATM

SPQR joined me on Saturday and Dholder on Sunday. We were privileged to share a cozy weekend at Riley Conservation Club with 4 hardy prior Appleseeders.

The small experienced group of shooters allowed for a casual, conversational atmosphere as we expanded on more of the reasons behind the instructional points.

The weather baked, broiled, stewed, drenched, steamed, sauteed, boiled and poached us all at some point in the weekend
...but there was a level of determination and persistence in the shooters that would not be conquered.
Their hearts and minds carried the weekend. Thank you all, your positive attitudes were more refreshing than any air conditioning.  ;)

Mike, June, James and "Shifty" Dave put forth a lot of effort on the line and a lot of thought into their American history and heritage during the breaks when we'd all retreat to a shaded spot to reflect on the choices and actions that prevailed in the colonies on April 19th, 1775.

On Sunday, we were treated to a downpour and much needed temperature drop at lunchtime. We covered the Known Distance fundamentals and headed back out to engage 4" steel at 100 and 8" at 200 yards with .22s and centerfires (yes, I got to run down and fix it when Mike shot it down at 100). I wouldn't have wanted it any other way!  :))

It had started to rain again by the final AQT of the day. We gave the nod to June and told her this is exactly what she'd been waiting on to get over the 195 hump - and that's exactly what she did! No fussin' or need for further discussin'... she got down there and shot a 216 as it poured!  ^:)^ Congrats to our newest Rifleman and proud recipient of the Hoosier bacon reward!

We shot off a few rounds from the suppressed 10/22 for a demo just prior to tearing down, policing brass and packing up. What a great weekend! We'll get that line filled for the next shoot (7th step anyone?), but this was real nice. Thanks all.
Say no to drugs. $$-0 Say yes to bacon. O0

Uncle Davey

Those who stay will be champions. Those who persist will be riflemen.

SPQR

All right June!  Way to go!  I knew it was in there!  Great Job!
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

HQ

Congratulations June!!!  You were so close at the last shoot!  I'm so glad you made it back and got a 216!!! That is excellent!

RBKL

I had a great time at Riley - you have got to love the RAIN!!!!

Thanks to ATM, SPQR and DHolder for the great instruction.  I couldn't have done it with out you, and all of the other Appleseed instructors.

I appreciate all of the personal help I have received at the last couple of Appleseeds at Riley.  It really made the difference.  I still have some issues with trigger control and will be working on improving that for the next Appleseed.   

As always the history was fresh and informative. 

I am working at finding new recruits for the next shoot.  Some of the possibles are suggesting other possibles. (I'm thinking that's a good sign.)   Hopefully at the next shoot (Cloverdale?) we will have a caravan heading from IL it IN.

So, first rifleman with a scope comes off of the bucket list and first rifleman with iron sights goes on the list.   Working at shooting consistent Rifleman scores will always be on the list.

Thanks to everyone at Riley for the great weekend.   Hope to see you all again.

ATM

Say no to drugs. $$-0 Say yes to bacon. O0

SPQR

More Pictures

I took this picture of Shifty during the shoot to show him that his hand wasn't open, his elbow wasn't under the rifle, and he was chokin the life out of the thing.  Now EVERYBODY gets to know.  ^:)^

They practice at home like this

"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

Uncle Davey

Well... now that everyone knows a Rifleman is not perfect ( pictures and targets do not lie!) looks like I have some work to do. ATM and SPQR did an awesome job at the shoot and I'm looking forward to hopefully going to Bedford in Sept and showing some improvement..love the smell of the rifle range right after a cease fire..as always the instruction I recieve at an Appleseed is top notch and Riley was no exception..
Those who stay will be champions. Those who persist will be riflemen.