News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Salem West Virginia 7-16/17-11

Started by wvmmfalcon, July 18, 2011, 05:58:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wvmmfalcon

I do not have info available and will update later.
We had 10 shooters on sat. and 5 on sun.
Very warm weather, though a lot of sat. was overcast.
We made 1 rifleman who is interested in instructing.
I think he will take an orange hat after another AS and be a good compliment to our instructor corp.
Spanner did most of the work. There are no more AS planned this year
and Cindy and Lorie will try to get a winterseed scheduled early next year.
Lorie (the BOTG) made sure that the gate was open on time and made lunch available.
More later

Jeffrey-Frank..Jarrell
KYPD
Malon Labe
I think, therefore I am dangerous (Q)

Col. Morgan's Granddaughter

I hope both Falcon and Spanner agree that Salem Rifle & Pistol Club, Salem, WV's first experience with Apple Seed was good.  Both Lorie and I have received positive feedback from participants.

The weather was torture for anyone unaccustomed to high 90's degrees weather with very high humidity, and all persevered with exception of myself who thought it would be really tacky and uncool to faint, vomit or both during and Apple Seed...not to mention embarrassing  %).  I was forced to step back beneath the shade and be content to listen and watch while others had the time of their lives shooting.  Though my husband, at this point, is content to act as support and listen to the stories, he revels in the thrill of those shooting, especially the young ones doing great things.

New Rifleman Jesse, age 15, displayed maturity and understated pride as he received his Rifleman patch with a score of 231 from day one's shooting... (Spanner/Falcon confirm numbers, please).  I felt allmost as much joy for Jesse's accomplishment as I would had it been my own...and, Spanner, I promise you WHEN I get that score, if you are present, I will show you tears  :)...of joy!  Photos to follow.  I think Lorie may have better to offer when she finds time to post.  My photos were taken on Sunday, day two.  And...the photo of me shooting prone...this was not shooting but sighting as my sling is always taut and my form different when I am shooting...don't say it Spanner..."whine, whine, whine".  No one could shoot in that position!
Cindi
Cynthia
I would like to see every woman know how to handle firearms as naturally as they know how to handle babies.

My attempts at posting multiple photos at once failed...The Old Girl will give it another try!  This is down range at Salem Rifle & Pistol Club, Salem, WV.
Cynthia
I would like to see every woman know how to handle firearms as naturally as they know how to handle babies.

New Rifleman, 15 year old Jesse, with a score of 231 first day of Apple Seed!

Folks, this is the face of the future of America...what an outstanding young man!!!

Congratulations Jesse!!!
Cynthia

Cynthia

OH GEEZE!!!  I've been away from this forum far too long...just clicked how to post multiple photos...always the late bloomer!

Lorie, and the gang setting up the line and posting targets.

Nest building and preparing to shoot...

Now let's see if I can add the links for WBOYTV and WDTV-Clarksburg/Weston
so you can view their TV coverage of Salem Apple Seed?
Cynthia

Spanner

Salem Rifle & Pistol Club   O0  Salem, WV is truly a beautiful place!

I had a blast-- The people were awesome.  Special thanks to Lori & Alan & Cyndi for paving the way & all the other hard work (especially the BBQ!).  And as always, I had a blast with the shooters.

This isn't a full report-- I'm still trying to rehydrate--  :o

see you in a bit

" Decision-making is the supreme manifestation of human dignity. "  -Jouvenel

Watch WD TV coverage of Salem Apple Seed

Click here: Project Appleseed Teaches Marksmanship and History
Watch WBOY TV coverage of Salem Apple Seed

Click here: Area Residents Learn Marksmanship Skills - WBOY-TV - WBOY.com
Cynthia

Spanner...I also had a lot of rehydrating to do, and had no trouble falling asleep last night.  Other than that some muscles are sore in the most uncommon places...nothing a couple of days won't cure  ;D

I hope we can make another Apple Seed happen at Salem so you, Jeff, Brickhouse, Mac and anyone else you care to bring can come join us...in kinder,
gentler weather? 

Perhaps once word gets around we'll have a larger turn out too!
You'd be surprised how much interest one tiny TV spot can provoke  :)

We are pleased you felt welcome and enjoyed our home turf.

FYI, every Friday evening beginning at 5:30 PM at our range is Friday Night Fun Shoot...open to the public; no admission.  Give Lorie, Alan or me a call if you want to come shoot some Friday evening.  Lorie and I are always up for dueling pistols.  We shoot like GIRLS  ^:)^
Cynthia

techres

Links fixed down thread...
Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

Chrome

Really upset that I missed one, in my own backyard no less!  I had a couple planning on being walk-ons, but backed out earlier that week due to concerns with the heat.   Glad to hear that it went off well.  I expect once I can get back into the swing of things, I could really start bringing some shooters to this shoot.  I regret that I was unable to  advertise this shoot as much as I would've liked.  Huge potential in this area for AS. 

Later,
Chrome...
Montani Semper Liberi

Spanner

There were in fact two different TV stations there.  The instructor being interviewed is WV's own super-gentleman Falcon (wvmmfalcon).

(WDTV TV5) Project Appleseed Teaches Marksmanship and History

(WBOY TV12) Area Residents Learn Marksmanship Skills

Lorie, Col. Morgan's Granddaughter and Alan surprised us with getting the media there, and I want to thank them again for sticking around and making sure that the film crews were directed to... Falcon!   They are (except Alan (I think (but that's an assumption on my part (But I think it is a good guess)))) Instructors for Women on Target.  Here is a taste:

Learning to shoot like a girl at a Women On Target class in West Virginia

Way cool.  That's Lorie in the red hat on the video. 

We had another Alan on the line.  He shot all of Saturday with an M1 Garand.   O0
He brought his daughter Abby, and Abby's friend Chelsea.  What a riot that bunch was. 

:))

techres

Just got in to fix my post, looks like it is already fixed down thread.  I will edit mine out.  Thanks all! 
Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

I spoke with "the other" Alan's wife yesterday.  She said her husband LOVED IT and looks forward to attending another AS shoot.  She also said the girls had a great time and will continue practicing  on their home farm what they learned Saturday.  They liked their AS shirts and send thank you.

Spanner, thank you for the kind shout out about our Women On Target Program.
Lorie and I work our butts off all year planning those events.  She is match director and I am her assistant and do all PR and soliciting of corporate sponsors and donations.  We are acquiring a reputation in the area and now bringing in new shooters is becoming easier all the time.  The June 11 clinic was booked full in advance, and our September date is also booked full with a wait list.  We are teaching a women only NRA Basic Pistol Class in October and already have more than 15 women registered for it.  It exceeds qualification for concealed carry requirements.

That comment about instructors... @)Alan and Lorie's hubby Roger are not Women On Target instructors, but they are heavy duty behind the scenes supporters.  Besides being our super pack mules (meant in the most complimentary way), and cooking and serving our women hot dogs and hamburgers, they do anything behind the scenes.  Alan stepped in and assisted with some additional hands on instruction on sight picture while  women were waiting their turn to shoot for the first time.

We have a team of five women including Lorie and myself who instruct.  Our program was initiated by a retired Marine who spent some time as a weapons instructor for Marine recruits and is a former NRA rifle competition champion.  He has fought long and hard to bring this program to our area, to train women and hand over leadership and instruction in order to have an entirely women directed and women instructed clinic.  Lorie and I , as well as Mike, are most proud of our Women On Target Program.

I bore you with some photos from our clinic teaching sessions.  First should be our most recent June 2011 clinic.  I am proud to say in the group photo of the rifle clinic  #3 of our 5 daughters stands beside me, and just behind me is the man who is driven to teach as many females as possible to shoot better than a man.  The other man who shared Mike's dedication to teach all women to shoot, one of the most highly credentialed NRA instructors in the state of WV and a champion competition shooter, passed away on June 15, 2011, and our hearts are broken at this loss.  Rest in peace dear friend and mentor, David Fisher.  There is none who can fill his shoes and the place in our hearts.

If anyone cares to hear about it, I will add more information and photos, as well as info about the Refuse To Be  Victim Program which Lorie and I teach, as a team, around North Central WV.  It is about non-lethal means of personal protection and techniques to avoid ever being victimized.

Thank you friends for indulging me on the forum,
Cindi, Cynthia, Mom, Grandma...I answer to a lot of monikers : )
Cynthia

Quote from: Spanner on July 19, 2011, 10:50:20 AM
There were in fact two different TV stations there.  The instructor being interviewed is WV's own super-gentleman Falcon (wvmmfalcon).

We had another Alan on the line.  He shot all of Saturday with an M1 Garand.   O0
He brought his daughter Abby, and Abby's friend Chelsea.  What a riot that bunch was. 

:))
Spanner, Alan with the M1 Garand...his wife told me yesterday he was mighty sore and his shoulder showing the bruising from firing the M1 Garand all day...but he was a happy man.

And, guys, sorry I failed to give you a head's up that the TV crews were coming so you could prepare.  They come for our Refuse To Be A Victim Seminars and Women On Target, and my only excuse might be that I am conditioned and took it for granted.  As I hear feedback from TV viewing around here I'll share with you.  It will be good.
Cynthia

Hey Friends...My husband, Alan, is cleaning two of my pistols and my Ruger 10/22 while I clean the house.  Now that's what I call LOVE!  A man who will clean my firearms! 

I have a cheeky Rifleman son-in-law who likes to try to wind my watch by saying to guys who don't know me that I think cleaning my guns means putting them in the dishwasher.  I have to ignore him because he knows better and enjoys seeing me react to his barbs.  Besides, he teaches me tactical shooting and shares his toys with me.  It does not hurt to have a SWAT Team trainer, armorer for Glock and Colt in the family.  Besides, he's raising my grandchildren well...he can bathe and rock a baby to sleep and rain down fire and brimstone on the bad guys...and do both in expert fashion!  How many guys take their MOTHER-IN-LAW shooting with other law enforcement officers who make comments like "you're so lucky your mother-in-law shoots"?  To me, that is priceless.
Cynthia

wvmmfalcon

Date & Location:    Salem July 16/17 11
SB: wvmmfalcon   
RH: Spanner
IIT: none

Promotions: none
Weather: Low 70s-high 80s partly sunny
Attendance Statistics: sat. 10, sun. 5,
Number of Riflemen: total 13

Round Count: 429
Public AAR Link:
The Good: great attitudes, 1 rifleman, good food, good range, chance to advertise AS on TV5 and TV12 out of Clarksburg, multiple possibles for IIT. Finally another range not far from home.
The Bad: Weather was a little bit too hot for some of the shooters, I was not prepared to do interviews, time monkey seemed very heavy. It looks as if we will have difficulty finding a date for next year(busy range).
Safety Issues: 2 sweeps, 2 people, quickly taken care of.
Summary:  Lorie(BOTG) and Cindy are going to work at getting a new AS date. I hope we get several dates. Some good people there. Overall a good event.

Jeffrey-Frank..Jarrell
KYPD
Malon Labe

wvmmfalcon

And, guys, sorry I failed to give you a head's up that the TV crews were coming so you could prepare.  They come for our Refuse To Be A Victim Seminars and Women On Target, and my only excuse might be that I am conditioned and took it for granted.  As I hear feedback from TV viewing around here I'll share with you.  It will be good.
We were glad to have the TV people there, Just that some preparation would have been easier for me(I think).
Jeffrey-Frank..Jarrell
KYPD
Malon Labe

EZ3

Now I can say " I knew Falcon  before he was a TV star!"   @)
Nice job, Jeff!  Looks like it was a great event.
"You can't teach Liberty by practicing tyranny." -  Mr. Happy

Spanner

Ken from Aurora was a returning Appleseed shooter & brought his son Micah and daughter Laura.  It was good to see you again, Ken.  Last year he brought daughters Ann and Amy to a Stinson, WV shoot.  I can't wait to see what (who) he springs on us next!

Evan and Joe, it was good to meet you.  Appleseed in Northern WV... what's wrong with that?  Hope to see you (and, of course, all of your friends) in the near future.  Drag that Mountaineer guy along with you.   ;)  If we can find some space near Morgantown, we could even do a mini-AS.

Quote from: Spanner on July 20, 2011, 12:12:30 PM

;)  If we can find some space near Morgantown, we could even do a mini-AS.

SPANNER!!!  Are ya readin' ma mind?  All day I've been thinking "is there any way we could ever do a mini-Seed since it is so difficult for us to get our range two consecutive days and because so many folks can't spare two days out of their busy lives?  Is this a possibility?  Get me that information and Lorie and I will be all over trying to make that happen.  Of course, always know, our club calendar is set in January and it fills quickly.  However, pulling out just one day for Apple Seed is a much easier task than the two day event.  Let's see what we can do with this.   O0

Granny (My husband tells me I look like Granny Clampet, so I may as well go with the flow)
Cynthia

Spanner

Sure thing, it is possible.  I would even encourage it.   :slap:  LOL!

PM me whenever you want to start sorting out possibilities.

Quote from: Col. Morgan's Granddaughter on July 20, 2011, 10:53:15 PM
Quote from: Spanner on July 20, 2011, 12:12:30 PM

;)  If we can find some space near Morgantown, we could even do a mini-AS.

SPANNER!!!  Are ya readin' ma mind?  All day I've been thinking "is there any way we could ever do a mini-Seed since it is so difficult for us to get our range two consecutive days and because so many folks can't spare two days out of their busy lives?  Is this a possibility?  Get me that information and Lorie and I will be all over trying to make that happen.  Of course, always know, our club calendar is set in January and it fills quickly.  However, pulling out just one day for Apple Seed is a much easier task than the two day event.  Let's see what we can do with this.   O0

Granny (My husband tells me I look like Granny Clampet, so I may as well go with the flow)

OK!!!  I will run this by friend Lorie and I know she will be excited at the possibility of a one day gig.  Meanwhile, she and I are over our heads in our teaching responsibilities, and she is on the Corn Dog/Cotton Candy Circuit with her son and his 4H exhibits and their club projects until school is back in session.

Things will calm down after Labor Day and definitely by the end of September.
From there on into hunting season and bad weather, the schedule at our club is mighty tight with the preparing of apple butter on the range each weekend leading up to the Apple Butter Festival in Salem (y'all come on over!), one more class she and I have scheduled, and the lead up to the fall/winter hunting seasons when all the hunters are prepping their firearms for the big hunts.  She and I will work on it with all our hearts and see what we can do.

MEANWHILE...Grandma here is mighty interested in LibrarySeed and I can so see that happening in this town.  I have to get the grandkids back in school so I can devote some time to this, but I see prospects.
Cynthia