News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Mossberg Tactical 22

Started by Canebrake, July 11, 2011, 07:51:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canebrake

Does any one have any experience with the Mossberg Tactical 22? One model has a 6 position collapsible stock and I have 3 boys ages 11 9 and 8. My marlin 795s are just a tad to long for the younger 2. I found the Mossbergs for around $225-250 which would be cheaper than a 10/22 and Tapco stock. I know the "what gun" thread has been run before but any suggestions or comments would be applauded.
Thanks in advance
Will Walker

The Wolfhound

oladcock

I've played with them and don't recommend them. For kids.... The more I play this game the more convinced I am that trying to get by cheap is false economy and can cause great frustration for kids. The better they fit, the better they function, the more user friendly they are, the faster the kids will learn when they don't have to fight the gun.

"My marlin 795s are just a tad to long for the younger 2."

That's probably a $50 stock or less, got a saw? Whack 1" off for the little one, stick a slip on butt pad on there which will add 1" for the bigger ones...O.L.
"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato 400BC

President Roswell Gun Club
AQT 246
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
IBC 2018
KD Ft. Bliss Tx. 214  2019
IBC 2021

Roswell, NM
Carlsbad NM
El Paso Tx
Lubbock Tx
New Deal Tx
Levelland Tx
Alamogordo NM
Alburquerque NM
41 Lead Farm Tx

dalesp

I found this at Cheaper Than Dirt this week.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemDetail.aspx?sku=76819

Colapsible 6-position stock.

This rifle is actually cheaper than buying the Tactical 10/22 with the Ruger Instructor discount, and then adding a Tapco stock.

I have this exact setup for my daughter - except in pink.  Just add an optic and you're ready.  I also replace the rear plastic sling ring with an m-14 or m-4 steel piece from Bushmaster ($5) and added a picatinny front sling swivel for another $19.  She loves it.

BTW - I have 2 Marlin 795's and love them.  When my daughter came to an Appleseed she was using my Marlin and was not doing well.  I let her try my AR with an adjustable stock and she was doing much better.  A long search turned up next to nothing aftermarket for the Marlins.  It's a shame because I think they are a much better rifle than the Ruger, but there is nothing for them aftermarket.
"There are three reasons to own a gun: To protect yourself and your family, to hunt dangerous and delicious animals and to keep the King of England out of your face."
                          ~ Herschel Shmoikel Pinchas Yerucham Krustofski (Krusty the Clown)

Sly223

I have a Rugger SR-22, well actually had gave it to my daughter, still use it as LTR for children and Petites. This Rifle is worth it weight in gold.
Got it for under $500,
Star screws that hold top to lower must have red loc-tight, or will not get through an AS event.
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
What have you done for this program lately?
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!
"Run all you want, you'll just die tired"!
There is U.S. & there is Dems!

XTR

I had a Mossberg tactical 22.  This is a model 702 with an AR-15 style body.  The body is all plastic and is just a clamshell over the barrel and action.  It is not accurate.  In fact it is very inaccurate due to the action will move inside the body.  I had sighted in the "iron" sights and had a holographic reflex sight on the top rail.  Neither sight would hold good groupings at 25m.  This is due to the plastic clamshell body, the sloppyness of the rear sight and the flexability of the front sight.  I could actually take the front sight and move the whole thing about 1/2" to either side.  It does not grip on the barrel.  I would get just a 702 instead and save $100.

I sold it Friday and got a Rem 597 from WalMart.  Much better rifle.

DBoller

Quote from: dalesp on July 13, 2011, 01:10:49 PM

.  It's a shame because I think they are a much better rifle than the Ruger, but there is nothing for them aftermarket.
If you get a Model 60 you can get after-market stocks.