News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Spare parts list for 10/22 and Yugo SKS

Started by tittiger, July 05, 2011, 09:30:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tittiger

Not that I can actually afford to buy anything these days  :-)

I was wondering what kind of spare parts I should some day get together for my rifles. 10/22 and SKS) If you have actual part numbers and sources that would be very helpful also.

Thanks!
Joe
"It is the duty of every patriot to protect his country from its government."
~ Thomas Paine

2 clicks low

I don't know about the SKS.

For the 10/22 you don't really need any spares. I've had mine since 75. I bot a heavy barrel and stock in the mid 90's. In 05 I bot a new target hammer, fancy red trigger and new springs (as preventive maintenance only). Last year I bot a different barrel and a new extractor to fix a FTE problem on unfired rounds.

All in all, it's a tough durable rifle that will last many decades. Buy the way mine has +- 200,000 rounds thru it.  ^:)^ Still shoot rifleman.

2cl
"Semper Fritos" 1st. Chicago Chairborne

oladcock

Got 3 of the 10-22's and they get the snot shot out of them. Don't need spare parts, just good cleaning....O.L.
"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato 400BC

President Roswell Gun Club
AQT 246
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
IBC 2018
KD Ft. Bliss Tx. 214  2019
IBC 2021

Roswell, NM
Carlsbad NM
El Paso Tx
Lubbock Tx
New Deal Tx
Levelland Tx
Alamogordo NM
Alburquerque NM
41 Lead Farm Tx

tittiger

Thanks for your input but I am going to have to disagree with both of your ascertions<SP>  that Ruger has somehow made the perfect machine that does not break. I have personally seen too many malfunctions to know better. While they are certainly dependable they are not infallable.

A malfunctioning firearm becomes nothing but an expensive paperweight when you don't have the $5 part that needs replaced.  I am just trying to determine what parts are reasonable to expect to fail on either type of firearm.
~ Thomas Paine

TN_Dadx5

I don't think that the others were saying that the 10/22s don't need repair or spare parts, just the they don't often break O0.

If I was putting together a spares kit, I'd include:

-Recoil buffer
-Cocking Handle, Guide Rod & Recoil Spring Assembly
-Extractor, plunger & spring
-Hammer
-Bolt lock spring
-spare magazine

The recoil buffer is probably the first part the will fail and the recoil spring is easy to kink when reassembling the rifle.  I've only heard of one hammer breaking (manufacturing defect).  But you might have to fit a new hammer.  Having a replacement for every spring probably isn't bad.

You might want to ask 10/22 drivers what part(s) have ever broken on their rifle and making that your list.  But oladcock is correct, most of the time when a 10/22 acts up, it's due to poor cleaning.  So a good boresnake, stiff nylon brush and a can of CLP or GunScrubber should be in your range box along with the spares.

I hope that this helps.

Charlie
"A nation of well informed men who have been taught to know and prize the rights which God has given them cannot be enslaved. It is in the region of ignorance that tyranny begins." Benjamin Franklin
Visit and "Like" the TN Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/#!/Tennesse.Project.Appleseed

Kosciusko

for the 10/22, i would suggest a complete set of springs. 

After about 15K orunds, mine did wear out, resulting in some doubling and tripling.

for the SKS, go to gunboards.com, join (membership is free), search the SKS/AK forum.  I'm guessing, but  a firing pin at the least would be good insurance.

ItsanSKS

Better to have and not need, than to need and not have.

With that in mind, I have the following spares on hand for the 10/22 rifle:

Action screw
complete trigger group
complete bolt assembly
charging handle/guide rod
receiver pins

I have the following spares on hand for the SKS rifle:

Complete trigger group
Complete bolt  (already fitted and headspaced, ready to drop in)
Stock spring (fits under the trigger group in a recess in the stock)

Many of the above parts are assemblies; you can buy the individual parts within those assemblies, and save money, but repairing a downed rifle with a complete replacement assembly takes but a brief moment. 

To be honest, what I did to get these spares is to buy a complete used rifle that was in poor, but functional condition.  The spare trigger group for the SKS, for instance, sells for about $100, and I picked up a *rough* SKS for $150... 

YMMV.

-ItsanSKS
"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

ItsanSKS

Neglected to notice that your SKS is Yugo 59/66 model.   

In addition to the above list of spare parts, you will also want the following:
Gas shutoff valve
"  retainer and spring

There is a company that makes the gas shutoff valve out of stainless steel.  I highly recommend it:
Gas valve: $9.99
http://www.cncwarrior.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=1
Gas valve retainer: $2.49
http://www.cncwarrior.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=26
Gas valve spring: $1.31
http://www.cncwarrior.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=22

* I am not affiliated with the above company in any way.  I have ordered these exact parts from them in the past, and am satisfied with the quality of the workmanship of their products.   YMMV.
"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

hangfire

The only failure I have seen on a Ruger 10/22 was a extractor fly away

B-14 10/22® Extractor,  B-15 10/22® Extractor Spring, 
B-16 10/22® Extractor Plunger

Celt

Yeah we had two extractors get pulled out by chamber flags in Dadeville. So that is a good spare part to have. I have one 10/22 that had the ejector brake on it. 
A Hessian captain (one of the 30,000 German mercenaries used by England) wrote in 1778, "Call this war by whatever name you may, only call it not an American rebellion; it is nothing more or less than a Scots-Irish Presbyterian rebellion."

"I need not take much pains to show, that the principles of this system, are extremely pernicious, impolitic, and dangerous. Here is a revolution as radical as that which separated us from Great Britain."  "I Smell A Rat!"  Patrick Henry

"Because they transgressed My covenant, And against My law they have rebelled... They have made kings, and not by Me, They have made princes, and I knew it not"  Hosea 8:1 and 4
"Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD; and the people whom he hath chosen for his own inheritance."  Psalms 33:12

nemohunter

10/22 should have a spare extractor and attendant parts. Spare firing pin and attendant parts. Spare hammer spring strut assembly. Everything else is pretty long haul.
PLEASE DON'T STROKE THE EGO.

tittiger

Thanks Cameron

Has anyone at Appleseed ever though about a day long armorers course on the 10/22 or other rifles?

As you know learning to shoot is only  part of the equation. Learning to maintain any tool that  you use is just as important as learning to use it.

Some of us are pretty down right dumb when it comes to such things.   :wb:
~ Thomas Paine

2 clicks low

There is one. It is teaching on the line. You will learn as an IIT about all things that can go wrong (usual cause is located between stock and ground) and how to fix them. Call it on the job training.

2cl

Quote from: tittiger on July 08, 2011, 12:49:07 PM
Thanks Cameron

Has anyone at Appleseed ever though about a day long armorers course on the 10/22 or other rifles?

As you know learning to shoot is only  part of the equation. Learning to maintain any tool that  you use is just as important as learning to use it.

Some of us are pretty down right dumb when it comes to such things.   :wb:
"Semper Fritos" 1st. Chicago Chairborne

oladcock

Quote from: tittiger on July 06, 2011, 07:13:06 AM
Thanks for your input but I am going to have to disagree with both of your ascertions<SP>  that Ruger has somehow made the perfect machine that does not break. I have personally seen too many malfunctions to know better. While they are certainly dependable they are not infallable.

A malfunctioning firearm becomes nothing but an expensive paperweight when you don't have the $5 part that needs replaced.  I am just trying to determine what parts are reasonable to expect to fail on either type of firearm.

Yep, the vast majority of gun malfunctions are cleaning issues. I'll repair guns if time allows but most of the time we're better serving the student(s) to loan them another gun and keep trucking! :) Not to mention possible liablity issues...O.L.
"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato 400BC

President Roswell Gun Club
AQT 246
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
IBC 2018
KD Ft. Bliss Tx. 214  2019
IBC 2021

Roswell, NM
Carlsbad NM
El Paso Tx
Lubbock Tx
New Deal Tx
Levelland Tx
Alamogordo NM
Alburquerque NM
41 Lead Farm Tx

nemohunter

I intend to teach a 10/22 specific cleaning and tuning class at the Osage RBC. I'm sure I will have no shortage of folks wanting to learn. The class will deal with reliability tuning with accurizing as a secondary point. I will teach everything I have learned over the last 23 odd years. Ought to be slightly educational.
PLEASE DON'T STROKE THE EGO.

tittiger

Great idea Nemo and another reason I am not going to miss boot camp this year.
~ Thomas Paine