News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Ackley, IA July 1-2 2011

Started by loves2hunt59, July 03, 2011, 05:22:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loves2hunt59

Fry-day July 1:  Perhaps not so much Fry as slow Broil.  Humid and hot from the start.  Fortunately the men from Sacred Grace Church met up with Kevin the evening before and erected a cover over two picnic benches just behind the equipment line for shade.  Many thanks guys, it was greatly appreciated.
Got off to a good start with three first time Appleseeders, Jesse, Caleb and Elijah for the first day.   Redcoats, a short History,  then Squares and instruction on a shameless theft of Cooper's COF.  After lunch, canopies up over firing line to keep our shooters from ending up as well done as the brats & dogs Tony and David had grilled for lunch.  (Thanks again)   Heat, fatigue, and some equipment issues slowed the pace, but the day still ended with AQTs before a final Redcoat that showed marked improvement.
Saturday showed marked improvement in weather.  Storm front swept through over night bringing lower temps, lower humidity, and a fresh northerly breeze.  Saturday morning, July 2, also brought out  seven additional first time 'Seeders as well as  all three of our Fry-day shooters. With so many first time 'Seeders on the line the decision was made to run the second day as essentially a One day Appleseed .  This worked very well.  Cooper's COF was again shamelessly  co-opted and the day moved along very swiftly.  Unfortunately the only patches handed out were three youth patches to Elijah, Nela, and Liberty.  All attendees were great to work with, attentive , cooperative, and eager to learn.  Thanks ALL.
Thanks from Iowa to Kevin and Buzz for coming down from Minnesota on short notice to make this event possible.
Thanks also to Dave and TargetsontheMove for allowing use of their range.
Special thanks to David D. for his efforts to bring the Appleseed Project to Ackley.
AND a very special thanks to Jerry E. from "somewhere south of Peoria, IL."  who's 7th stepping to David really helped get the ball rolling for an all together  productive and enjoyable Appleseed for everyone.

BuzzG

Thanks to all the shooters who spent their time with us. There was lots of improvement made both days. There will be some new Rifleman in Northern Iowa soon.

Here are some pictures as proof.

Fry-day! Trying to keep cool

The Fry-day crew.

Staying in the shade today.

Saturday morning. Much cooler.

Saturday's line

IMC in the shade!

Our young shooters.

The Saturday Shooters

Thanks to all the shooters. Kevin came down on short notice to keep this shoot from being canceled. It was great to meet Vic. What a good story teller! Thanks.

See you all on the trail soon I hope.

BuzzG

Kosciusko

My thanks to Vic and Buzz, both of whom did an outstanding job all weekend.  Saturday went much smoother than Friday not only because the temp  barely broke 80, but also because I forced myself to stand back and 
"shootboss"  [used as a a verb].   This let Vic and Buzz do their jobs,  which they both did very well.    I look forward to seeing the two of you become Instructors.  We also got good support from the local folks and I foresee many more successfull shoots in the area.

Greg in MO

Good jobs guys!  Kos, thanks for jumping in at the last minute for us...  I'm sure the shooters appreciated it.

G

AFTERMATH

"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

Yankeedutch

Great to hear of new shooters in Iowa.  I hope to see you at Winterset July 30-31!!

Dutch
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act."
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

Alex

Great job All! A big thank you to Kevin and Buzz for driving all the way down to Iowa to help out. Even if Vic probably had a couple hour longer drive from the bottom of the state.  ;) Hopefully we will see some of them in Winterset, and if not there Northwood.
Intellect is invisible to the man who has none.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine