News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Victoria, Illinois, June 25-26

Started by Shooter30-06, June 27, 2011, 10:53:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shooter30-06

The inaugural shoot at the Little John Conservation Club is history and was a total success.  In all my Appleseed experience I have never seen such improvement in shooting as we saw here.  Sixteen first time shooters shot their first redcoat with largely forgettable results.  However, they stuck with it, listened intently to the instruction, endured the all afternoon rain, and the end of the day redcoat showed three quarters of the shooters showing dramatic improvement.  After some drills on the second day we graduated two new Rifleman.  Congratulations to Brian shooting a 222!  Special note should made of Mike who shot a 211 - he found he was left eye dominant on Saturday and began shooting left-handed for the first time in his life and shot Rifleman on Sunday!  The shooters were so eager that almost all of them stayed late in the day Sunday to get KD briefing and shoot a steel plate on the 100 yd butt.  Congratulations to Missouri Brigade on his new Red Hat and Joanne for her new Orange Hat.   My personal thanks to all of the Instructors who helped make this shoot a success.
"We cannot insure success but we can deserve it."-John Adams
"Remember, all men would be tyrants if they could."-Daniel Defoe

AK

The Victoria shoot this weekend was great.  We had a lot of great people with a wide range in ages.  The weather Saturday afternoon was not great but the shooters did not let a few raindrops deter them.  (It is fun to play in the rain!)  Sunday's weather made things more comfortable.  Congratulations to the two new Riflemen: Mike and Brian.  Great job!  Congrats also to Missouri Brigade on receiving his Red Hat and Joanne for an Orange Hat.  Hard work and persistence pays off again.  Here are some of my pictures.
I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died, who gave that right to me.
~Lee Greenwood

"We here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain; that this nation shall have a new birth of freedom; and that this government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth." ~Abraham Lincoln

Southpaw

I had a terrific time at the Victoria Appleseed. Hard work that really paid off!

I enjoyed meeting and getting some outstanding help from the likes of 30-06 and his wife, Pappy, and Ewalt (thanks again for the use of your rifle!). Truly an outstanding experience. I am a certified NRA pistol and rifle instructor for our youth group- the Spoon River Valley Young Marines, and I can't wait to teach the many great things I learned this weekend. Natural Point of Aim has rocked MY world. Even though I am glad to have the NRA training- I have to say that the Appleseed training is much better suited to someone who wants to see results as a marksman. (Which is not the point of the NRA BAsic instruction). I was thouroughly impressed with everyone's professionalism, passion and confidence in the program of training, and their obvious know-how.

Thank You again!!

Mike Acerra
Galesburg, Illinois
A new and appreciative Rifleman
www.spoonrivervalleyyoungmarines.webs.com

Ewald

This shoot is why we Appleseed. Little John conservation club is a great facility. Shooter 30-06 did a fantastic job is organizing the shoot and was a gracious host. Thank you and congratulations.

This group definitely had a family vibe going on. We missed a few youngens in the group photos. Here they are.

Momma Ceder Wax Wing wasn't to happy with us during the First and Second Strikes on Saturday,  but I saw her picking up bugs and berries off my mat and feeding her brood during the Benediction.

Saturday was wet. The shooters absorbed a lot of new to them material. There was one shooter in particular who was just kept at it, but towards the end of the afternoon had reached the end of his endurance.. That night we instructors asked ourselves, "Will we see Ben Sunday?" We hoped so. Sure enough Sunday morning there was our Designated Marksman with bells on.

Way to go Ben. As an Eagle Scout I'm proud of you for living up to the Cub Scout motto. You did your best and them some!

This shoot was his third grade graduation present. His dad and uncle shot with him. He has brother who will be graduating third grade next year. Rumor has it he also has a second uncle. We know we'll see his brother, but will we see the uncle?

By the by that's Brian next to him working on his Rifleman score with a 795. Here's Rifleman Southpaw working on his AQT with a 1907 sling.

Are digging the vibe yet? Wait, there is more. Many who shot with us were members of the local Young Marines. Here is Marissa shooting her AR that she built with her dad. Her dad was with us, but didn't shoot due to an injury. Prior to the weekend she had maybe 40-50 rounds down that AR.

We're on our way now. Two other families and club members came over to watch the Team Star shoot on Sunday. During a break on Sunday afternoon we had a doe and two fawns walk across the berm. I wish I had taken more pictures and more notes. So many stories. Great job to all. Thumbs up to Kyle and Justin. Both came with there dads I don't remember Justin's brother's name, but he shot with with his leg in a boot. That's persistence!

Yes, Victoria is why we Appleseed.

Missouri Brigade

Thanks to Kay and Steve for obtaining the range.  It was an excellent venue for an Appleseed.  The efforts to promote paid off with a good group of shooters.

Congrats to our new riflemen and all the shooters who made it out.  Mike thanks for the good work with the Young Marines.  Shooting well and spreading the word and getting involved, that's what it is all about.

EEL

Little John Conservation Club in Victoria provided a great setting for a shoot.  Soft grass to settle into, shade when you needed it, and ample tagets to shoot at!  Sixteen  showed up ready to learn how to shoot better.  Shooter 30-06 had a plan to make that happen.  As we proceeded through the day, you could see the improvement with every course of fire.

As the shooters began to put the pieces together, the group sizes began to shrink.  Around noon, mother nature decided to test the will of our shooters.  While she persisted on and off right up to 1700 hrs, our shooters never relented.  Out came the ponchos, rain gear, and coats. 

We had about a half dozen youngsters in our midst and not a one gave up.  Shooter issued each a patch for their willingness to learn and refusal to give in.  Well done!

My thanks to the club for the use of their range, to Steve and Kay for their hospitality, to the instructors for giving up their weekend, and to the shooters for making it all worthwhile.

Carry on!

EEL
Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

Bigswedez

I would like to thank you all , great instructors at the Victoria Illinois , Little John shoot! I picked up quite a bit just observing . I would love to see this done again next year! RaY Ziegler  ( Marissa's Dad )

Shooter30-06

I have had some requests for contact information for the Little John Conservation Club so that thank you notes can be sent.  They can be sent to Bill Sornberger, 1721 Knox Highway 15, Dahinda, Illinois 61428.  Bill is the club secretary and will pass them on to the Board.
"We cannot insure success but we can deserve it."-John Adams
"Remember, all men would be tyrants if they could."-Daniel Defoe