News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

"Semi-adaptive" shooters

Started by The Log, June 22, 2011, 06:02:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Log

Hi --

I'm SBing a one-day shoot next week and I'm expecting a couple to turn out that while not fitting the strict definition of disabled, certainly have mobility issues. They both walk OK, if a bit slow, so I'd suspect the walk to the target line might be a slow process. The agility to get into prone or sitting position just isn't there either, so they'd probably do most of their shooting from either standing, or preferably from a chair.

I understand that they're not qualified for the Adaptive discount, and that's fine. I'm just looking for some tips on how to get them the best experience I can. Can someone point me to some tips for dealing with chairbound shooters? My guess is that they'll be able to get up and down from the chairs so we can clear the line, but I'm having a bit of trouble picturing how to handle grounding the rifle. Any insights appreciated.

</log>
"The future belongs to those that show up." - hawkhavn

Unbridled Liberty

Hi TL.  First, if you haven't already, you should read this thread http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=22647.0 about safety concerns when shooting from a chair.  As far as grounding the rifle, do you feel comfortable with "tabling" the rifle instead?  In other words, providing an elevated surface next to the chair shooters?  Of course the main consideration would be safety; i.e. will the selected equipment hold the rifle securely so that it cannot slide, roll, fall or spin, even if bumped slightly?
For Liberty, each Freeman Strives
As its a Gift of God
And for it willing yield their Lives
And Seal it with their Blood

Thrice happy they who thus resign
Into the peacefull Grave
Much better there, in Death Confin'd
Than a Surviving Slave

This Motto may adorn their Tombs,
(Let tyrants come and view)
"We rather seek these silent Rooms
Than live as Slaves to You"

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

The Log

Jeez, I hadn't thought of the collapsing chair scenario. That's a nightmare right there!

Luckily, I know the shooters fairly well - they're my brother-in-law's parents - and I'm very familiar with the range - it's my home club. I'll cruise up there tomorrow and see about dragging a shooting bench from the rifle range for them to use. They weigh about a zillion pounds, so they ain't going anywhere, and the seats for them ought to do the trick. With any luck, one of them will be a lefty and the other a righty, so we only have to drag one bench! That's an arrangement I can be comfortable with - "grounding" the rifles on the bench seems fine in my book. I'm a little concerned about rifles on different levels, and we'll have to be careful clearing the line, but it's a small shoot so we should be OK.

Thanks for the help. Any other tips?

</log>

ItsanSKS

When you add a bench, or a 'chaired' shooter to your line, move them to the far left or right of the line; this keeps the line-of-sight open for the Line Boss and RSO's.

Physically challenged shooters are just like any other shooter- some of them 'tough' it out through the whole weekend, others don't.  Mental toughness is the difference here, and there's really no way to know how the chips are going to fall prior to the event...

If you have the opportunity to do so beforehand, I would speak with them about what their personal goals are for this event- it obviously won't be doing the transitions in record time, right?  Have them take a targeted approach to their first Appleseed, & setting goals for them to achieve (even if a bit high) may help keep them in the game. 

If they go into this event without these goals in mind, they may leave feeling that they didn't 'measure up', when by them simply being out there, willing to learn, and try new things, makes them better than 90% of Americans I know.

You would know better what goals they should set for themselves, but here's a few to give you an idea of what I'm talking about:

• All rounds fired hit their target (Only Hits Count!)
  • ability to quickly change magazines without fumbling
  • focus on execution of the Six Steps
  • ever smaller and smaller groups
  • have ZERO safety infractions (chamber flag, safety off, magazine left in, etc)

These are the same targeted goals that I give to shooters who are absolutely brand new to shooting, or who become a 'designated sniper' for whatever reason.  I give them a 'pep talk' right after the Red Coat, letting them know that they are here to learn, and that they should do so incrementally; we teach a TON of stuff at our events, and it is easy for someone to get overloaded- what they need to do is focus on the above goals, and let everything else fall where it may.  As they attend more and more events, they will find that more and more of the information clicks for them, ultimately leading to the point where they, too, earn their patch. 
"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

Ishy

Over-exaggerate the compliments.  Like you said, the majority of the barrier is mental, so encouragement is key.  The SB at my first Appleseed did a great job encouraging me and it helped me a lot.  Offer adaptive options but try to keep them as "normal" as possible.  Be really positive and they'll discover just how disABLED they are.   ;)
"If My people, who are called by My name, will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."  ~2 Chronicles 7:14

"The proof of desire is pursuit."  ~Kirk DeVinney

Nickle

Be careful with those semi-adaptive shooters, you can easily insult them by going overboard.

Yes, I'm definitely qualified in this area, as I am one of the semi-adaptive people myself.

I no longer do transitions (still can manage RF/AQT's though), and my sitting position looks awful. But, arthritis and age had caught up with me, I'm no longer as mobile as I used to be.

Sometimes it's simple adaptations (like omitting the transitions), sometimes it's setting them up to shoot just prone and standing (or even all prone), sometimes it's having them use a bench. I'm inclined to have them use a bench, rather than just sitting in a chair (unless they're wheelchair bound, that's not semi-adaptive though).

Use some imagination. Ishy nailed it, says keep them as normal as possible. Exactly the right tact to take.

And, you really shouldn't call it "designated sniper", make it a little more mainstream, call it "designated marksman". Perception is everything. Sniper brings up an incorrect perception of what we're really about, and really trying to do.
They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

Sounds like New Englanders to me.

The Log

Good points one and all. Like I said, I have the advantage of knowing these shooters fairly well, from extended-family functions and such, and I don't think they'll be insulted by the assumption that they'll need extra help. But I'll double check with my BIL just to be safe.

Ishy -- I can't wait to meet you at Calverton this weekend! I hope we get a chance to talk a bit about this.

And thanks one and all - I think I have a plan now. Although I could use some more help on the line with this shoot - just me and Who_Me? so far, for a likely 9 shooters. Anybody out there that wants to see the lovely, rain-soaked northwest corner of CT, just drop me a PM...

</log>

oladcock

I ran into one this last weekend, up in age with a knee replacement a few years ago who didn't want to transition..Ok...Good shot the fellow was, shooting 230's+. So I challenged him, getting up is the problem, right?..We don't time the getting up part and getting into position with no transition, you still get up to prep your mags so what's the difference? He transitioned just fine, maybe not getting a shot or two off but easily got his patch. As others have said, play it by ear, access their capabilities, and if they aren't challenging themselves, maybe we should...O.L.
"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato 400BC

President Roswell Gun Club
AQT 246
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
IBC 2018
KD Ft. Bliss Tx. 214  2019
IBC 2021

Roswell, NM
Carlsbad NM
El Paso Tx
Lubbock Tx
New Deal Tx
Levelland Tx
Alamogordo NM
Alburquerque NM
41 Lead Farm Tx

desertrat144

Quote from: oladcock on June 24, 2011, 01:38:41 AM
I ran into one this last weekend, up in age with a knee replacement a few years ago who didn't want to transition..Ok...Good shot the fellow was, shooting 230's+. So I challenged him, getting up is the problem, right?..We don't time the getting up part and getting into position with no transition, you still get up to prep your mags so what's the difference?
This is where things can go south quickly.  Bear in mind that the act of getting up or transitioning is serious physical labor for some folks.  It gets kind of hard to hit a target while your heart is still going 100 mph from exertion.  Ah, the joys of aging & infirmity!  :wb:

Something to keep in a corner of our brain pans, especially when its hot out there.

Tom
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond it's limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves." - President Ronald Wilson Reagan