News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR McLean, IL June 18-19, 2011

Started by TheEditor, June 18, 2011, 11:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheEditor

Great shoot so far! 

The Holland family are great hosts; they had the target line set up, the firing line painted at precisely 82 feet, and the parking area marked. 

13 out of 15 prereg shooters showed up under threatening conditions, with a large storm on the radar with us as the bullseye. 

But, someone upstairs was looking out for us.  No rain, cloudy all day, high 80 or so, some light breeze in the afternoon.  Near perfect Appleseeding weather. 

One of our attendees was an older gentleman in a wheelchair, who gamely shot in the morning and sat in the shade and watched all afternoon as his wife kept shooting.  Another was an 83 year young Korean War vet who also shot in the morning and then sat with the other gentleman in the shade in the afternoon.  He expressed great joy at hearing the stories and at what AS was doing generally. 

Pictures late - including, I hope, aerial shots from a low-flying airplane piolted by one of the Hollands.   One Rifleman today - our host, Bob Holland, who shot a 214 on hs first AQT - and only got off four shots during the standing stage.  You read that right, he dropped 30 points on stage 1 - and only six points on the other stages.  To prove it was no fluke, he also shot two other AQT's , scoringa a 232 and a 238. 

looking forward to more fun tomorrow.  Anyone has pictures or comments, post them up. 

The Editor
John N.
Author of "50 Things You Didn't Learn in School - But Should Have"
www.heuristicbooks.com

Brother_COM

John I got a few pics as well! and you're right! It was a GREAT AS day! I had four shooters from my family. They all shot whist I watched my 2 and 4 yr old FUTURE AS shooters.
Enjoy the pics!

The Editor helps Abby!

Big Momma takes aim! (Look at them muscles!  :P)

The Editor shares the 3rd Strike!

Jennifer runs her bolt!

Tornado shares the 2nd Strike!

Tandem Rugers! Secure those rifles Patriots!

Enjoy the pics!
Glen
a.k.a. Brother_COM

Brother_COM

Well my "here's some pictures" post was a bust John... none of my pics showed up! hmmmmm, can you plz delete my post?
Thanks,
Glen

TheEditor

Sorry, Brother_COM, I can barely make this new fangled internet computer thingee work, so removing a post is beyond my pay grade. 

But here's a tip I've found when I post pics:  Post one pic per post.  Keeps it under the limit or something. 

So, to help you out, here is my first pic:  Templar223 helps Abby in the kneeling position, while Nightingale calls the line with her dad Tornado245 as right side RSO. 

John N.
www.heuristicbooks.com

TheEditor

The two gentlemen I described in the first post, Nick in the wheelchair and Vaughn sitting by him.  Both shot with us early on yesterday and then cheered us on from the shade the rest of the day.  I was honored to have them with us: 

John N.
www.heuristicbooks.com

TheEditor

Bob, our landowner host and first Rifleman from Saturday: 
John N.
www.heuristicbooks.com

TheEditor

It wouldn't be Appleseed without the Heritage:  Tornado245 has their attention telling Second Strike Saturday afternoon. 

John N.
www.heuristicbooks.com

TheEditor

Bonnie, Bob's daughter and our first Rifleman of Sunday: 

John N.
www.heuristicbooks.com

TheEditor

Only 3 of our 15 pre-regs from Saturday signed up for 2 days.  Between the steady rain we had from 7:30 am today until about 9:00 AM, we only had one shooter from yesterday who returned.  Two others came out, so we had three shooters for the morning.  Two more joined us after lunch.  All five of today's shooters had either showed up yesterday or attended the previous AS held here, and by the end of today all were Riflemen.  We had three IIT's shoot with them this morning; OutaAmmo came out today, with his wife JoAnne, a Blue Hat.  Joanne and I ran the line while our three IIT's shot side by side with our three shooters this morning.  We even did a team building exercise:  the three shooters vs. the three instructors.  Each team was given four clay birds on the berm (five yards beyond the target line).  Each team of three, with 10 rounds each, was given one minute to pulverize their clay birds, with the team with the smallest remaining pieces declared the winner.  The shooters were declared the winner, by a whisker.  One of the shooters commented, however, that it was just because the instructors were so good at teaching them that they were able to win the contest.  It was a lot of fun. 

John N.
www.heuristicbooks.com

TheEditor

Nightingale, who just took the Orage Hat at Chillicothe at the end of May, told two DOM/DOW stories today.   

For our final redcoat today, we had five shooters and three Orange Hats on the line.  All were Riflemen, and the redcoats showed it.  It was a fun and successful shoot. 

The Editor
John N.
www.heuristicbooks.com

Tornado

Really fun shoot. Very nice location and range.  The Holland's are really good people and gracious hosts (can't "Thank you" enough). 3 Riflemen! and a couple knocking on the door.  Shooters had the opportunity for several AQT's and even a couple of Rapid Fire AQT's.  Good representation of OUR American Heritage. I'll post several pictures. Thanks to everyone that made this such a success.

--Tornado245
"Great things have been affected by a few Men well Conducted."

George Rogers Clark

Tornado

More pictures from McLean:

George Rogers Clark

Tornado

Last of my McLean pictures:

George Rogers Clark

Brother_COM

Pics run as follows:
The Editor helps Abby!
Big Momma takes aim! (Look at them muscles!  :P)
The Editor shares the 1st Strike!
Jennifer makes her rifle "Secure" mags out, Botls back, Safteys on, Flags in!!!
Tornado shares the 2nd Strike! (I love the Colonial Flag in the pics, ahhhhhhh!)
Tandem Rugers! Secure those rifles Patriots!