News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Black Creek Range this morning

Started by Old Dog, June 11, 2011, 03:10:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Dog

Took my youngest son and my nephew to the range this morning.

My son shot his handgun (.45 acp, all steel, old design that still works mahvelously ;)).  No surprises there.

My nephew shot his handguns (.40 and .357 sig, both are the newer plastic varieties). I shot the .357 sig and was pleasantly surprised.  Best groups I've seen out of one of the plastic bottomed guns.  If I wasn't hooked on the old guns I'd be looking for one of those.

Then we went to the other guns, the longer ones.

My old Browning Auto 5 (recently acquired), ran like a top with cheap low brass Federal ammo.  Twenty five rounds through it like you know what through a goose.  That funny recoil might take some getting used to if I was going to hunt with it.  Mr. Browning knew what he was doing.  Those prewar (WW2) Auto 5's have a safety in the front of the trigger guard like the M1 Garand and M14 so it feels "right".

My nephew shot one of my H&R M1's.  First time he'd ever fired one.  Eight shot groups about 8 MOA at 25 yds.  He said it shot better than his 30.06 deer rifle.

My son shot his AR15 (the one that shot terrible groups last trip and we found had the badly leaded barrel that took so much scrubbing/cleaning) and was very happy with the groups.  Looks like the cleaning worked.  We'll take a look at the barrel later when the garage ain't 115 F inside.

I shot my last .223 AR15 build (16" skinny barrel free floated with a SUIT on the receiver rail).  This is the one I had issues with reloads made with the Lee dies last year.  Pretty snug little chamber as checked with the Forster headspace ga.  It's okay, just a tad tighter than my other AR15's.  With factory Remington ammo 10 round tore a single dime sized hole - except for round #4 and #11.  #4 was called.  #6 was the first shot after the SUIT was removed, a five round iron sight group fired and then the SUIT reinstalled for 5 more shots at the same POA as the first 5 shots.  I'd assume that round 11 (1/2" to the right and slightly below round #4) was resetting SUIT into its place on the rail since the next 4 rounds went back into the same hole as rounds 1, 2, 3 and 5 of the first group.  Not bad considering the trigger is lousy (looks like I'll be buying another RRA 2 stage) and the SUIT makes it hard to put the tip of the pointer on tiny targets (oh, I was shooting at a "zero" on the bottom of the sight in target, you know, the targets that have a 1" grid square and numbers around the edges to help figure out how far you have to adjust to move your group to your point of aim.)

Good day.  Hot, but the "kids" got to do some shooting.  The nephew got to shoot a piece of history (H&R M1 Garand). And they brought targets home to brag about so I know they'll be wanting to go again.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

LayloPro

Heh! That's a good day there. OD......

some fun stuff to work with, and again, A5's rock....... O0 :bow: O0 8)

Now, lemme twist your arm & tell ya you gotta go do it again soon, eh? ^:)^ :)) :~ ..:..

Enjoy! ;)
LLP
"The truth only hurts if you're guilty." 

"Fast / cheap / good....you only get 2....Your choice."

"Amateurs talk hardware. Professionals talk software. It doesn't matter what's in your hand or between your legs. It matters what's in your heart and in your mind." Lt Col. Dave Grossman.

Old Dog

I've been trying to talk both of them into going to an Appleseed.  My youngest son went to one with me in Sept. 2006 in southwest VA.  He came close to shooting a rifleman score at one of the fall field shoots at Ramseur a few weeks after that.

My nephew has never really done much rifle shooting and I'm trying to get him "bit" by letting him shoot my M1 and an AR15.  I guess I need to take the 10/22 and M1A to the range net time.  I'll keep working on them.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

LayloPro

O0, OD
A Rifleman persists........ O0 :~ ..:..

LLP
"The truth only hurts if you're guilty." 

"Fast / cheap / good....you only get 2....Your choice."

"Amateurs talk hardware. Professionals talk software. It doesn't matter what's in your hand or between your legs. It matters what's in your heart and in your mind." Lt Col. Dave Grossman.