News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Flatlander Questions

Started by Piker, June 16, 2011, 11:00:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Piker

Not exactly a flatlander, but the NC Mtns are way taller than those in GA.

Two of my favorite ranges are in Western NC, Dirty John and Panther Top.

Couple of Questions, Dirty John is near the top of a Mtn, guessing 4000ft. Panther Top is much lower in elevation. If I sght in at DJ and move to PT will I be low or high?

Also, how tough is it to get approval from the Freddies to use a range for events such as AS?
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

The Kid

I can answer the first question but not the second. For every two thousand feet of change there is a 1 MOA change in your impact. If you are going down the air will be getting denser and thus the bullet will be flying slower and will impact on the target low. For example if DJ is at 4000 feet and you will be shooting at 1500 feet that is a 2500 foot change and therefore a 1.25 MOA change (bullet impacting low). Hope that helps.
"I pray that our Heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement, and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of freedom." Lincoln

Piker

That at least explains why after sighting in at Dirty John, I shot low at my first AS.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Nickle

Well, unless you're shooting a real accurate target rifle (as in a Bench rest, sniper rifle or 1000 yard gun), it isn't going to make much difference. The difference is a matter of air density, which changes day to day as well, not just elevation. The difference is actually with the tolerance of your rifle and ammo, before we get into your hold ability.
They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

Sounds like New Englanders to me.

The Kid

There can be a combination of things that compile to cause your bullet to impact lower. For example if you were to drop 3000 feet in elevation (1.5 MOA) and the temperature were to drop 50 degrees (Zeroed in midday at 100 degrees and fired in the morning at just 50 degrees) when you zeroed that would push your bullet down another 2.5 MOA.  Plus an altered sight picture may also compile to move your impact. I have no evidence for these numbers but Sgt Craig, AMU service team coach, told me that every 1/16th of an inch of movement resulted in a 1 MOA change in impact. Granted this could all be as a result of NPOA/Sight Picture, ammo change, or any other hardware or software changes. The golden rule is consistency in all aspects of shooting.
"I pray that our Heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement, and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of freedom." Lincoln